Fluor Reviews | Glassdoor

Fluor CEO David T. Seaton
David T. Seaton

1,069 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • high regard in work life balance, benefit is reasonable (in 47 reviews)

• Great work Environment with Good Management (in 55 reviews)

"Process Engineer"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Fluor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is ok during the up cycle. The alternate off -Friday and vacation is also good.

Cons

Stay away from this place. They will hire like crazy as soon as they have some backlog by throwing a little bit of money at you. As soon as the market goes down you will be gone. All I can say is Stay away !

Advice to Management

Stop making the company a sweatshop and invest time and money in people and help them foster.

2. "Automation"

I have been working at Fluor full-time

Pros

Fast paced environment with quality teammates.

Cons

Company continuously lays off and rehires. There is no job security.

3. "Good ole boy's club."

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager

I worked at Fluor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits with respectable 401K match. Project assignments are very lucrative (i.e. assignment provisions, uplifts, overtime, etc) but touch on family.

Cons

Changing of the guard - the new HR leadership has little if any project experience. They are completely out of touch when it comes to how things work in the field - Resulting in bad advice and direction. They continue to promote inexperienced people to leadership roles solely based on likability versus knowledge and know-how. Nepotism runs high within FLR - which is a disadvantage to the average worker or someone applying for advancement.

Advice to Management

1. Treat every project as if it is lump sum. Too many missed opportunities to improve inefficiencies and missed lessons learned (for future projects)- could be a lot more efficient. Recommend implementing six sigma processes.

2. There is no incentive to correct inefficiencies on cost plus or cost reimbursable project as FLR get paid to correct their own errors and mistakes. I have experienced "clerical errors" which negative impacted either a Client or an employee and had to be run through several department with several touch points to be resolved - billing the Client man-hours along the way.

3. Fluor needs to be good stewards of the Client's money - Just because the "Client signed-off on it" doesn't mean it should have been presented. The Client is signing-off in good-faith as we are supposed to be the subject matter experts.

4. FLR should abide by its own policy and/or Procedure Manuals - I had been assigned to several projects where we knowingly didn't follow policy or notify the Client which resulted in over billing (i.e. of assignment provisions, double dipping, manhours, etc). After raising these concerns to the Project Management and/or Corporate Leadership nothing was done.

4. "electrician"

Current Employee - Electrician in Crystal River, FL
    Current Employee - Electrician in Crystal River, FL

I have been working at Fluor full-time

Pros

the pay is great ,you will aquire raises offen if you show you're degree of skill is worthy of a raise ,and they are very efficient in thier,and they are diligent about training the youth

Cons

thier parking on lot on jobs ,is my biggest pet peeve ,i think they should organise better times crews come in so u dont have to fight traffic to get in and out of work

Advice to Management

My advice to management is did they should research and check people's skill level before they dictate a wage for that person because there are a lot of people that have more skills but get paid less than others and are way better at production

5. "It's for you if you make it!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Fluor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Individuals can make a fairly good living. Though their pay lags to its competitors.

Cons

It seems you have to be in a clique to get good assignments/projects or to stay employed.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people

6. "A great company to work for"

Former Employee - Technician in Kabul (Afghanistan)
    Former Employee - Technician in Kabul (Afghanistan)

I worked at Fluor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Vacation Time
    -Stress Free Environment
    -Great Pay

Cons

-Ever changing benefits and vacation benifits

Advice to Management

-Rehire employees who were not fired.

7. "IT assistant / Interpreter"

Current Employee - IT ASSISTANT in Kamsar (Guinea)
    Current Employee - IT ASSISTANT in Kamsar (Guinea)

I have been working at Fluor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As far as I am concerned working at fluor will help me to increase my experience in terms of IT assistant and interpreter , in addition to that the field of health and safety of fluor is highly interesting because of their seriousness in order to protect their workers from injuring . so looking at all those factors , I am deply addicted to work in this great enterprise as IT assistant or interpreter , in case if their are some vacant posts i shall be ready for that .

Cons

The downsides of working at fluor are first of all the lack of time that works don't have for themselves because of the pressure of the job and then fluor doesn't overpass one (1) month of breaking time for workers .

Advice to Management

The management should reduce the time of working, for instance from 08 am to 04 pm if possible and I also suggest that if they can add even 02 weeks to the breaking time of the workers in order to have small fun with their family.

8. "journeyman Ironworker"

Former Employee - Journeyman Ironworker in Jenkinsville, SC
    Former Employee - Journeyman Ironworker in Jenkinsville, SC

I worked at Fluor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people,good pay,good jobs,traing is usually available on the jobsite

Cons

Stay out of town most jobs

"Process Engineering Department"

Former Employee - Process Engineer III in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Process Engineer III in Houston, TX

I worked at Fluor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a chemical engineer, I feel like I utilized my degree much more than any other process engineering job I will ever have. Advice to recent college graduates: This is a great place to gain a great understanding of process design but it is important to develop other in demand skills outside of this industry. I recommend a part time law program or coding boot camp so that you will always have a hedge against this cyclical industry.

Cons

The skill set developed in the process engineering role holds no value to any other industry. As much as I enjoyed the work I did, petrochemical manufacturers would not consider me for an experienced or even entry level position despite having 4 years of process engineering design experience. Be careful not to stay here too long, I had recruiters literally tell me that my experience here is worthless to chemical manufacturing/operations roles. Department managers are dishonest about layoffs and the company did not offer any kind of severance support. I begged for a field assignment opportunity to gain exposure to different job roles, but those opportunities were very rare and reserved for highly experienced individuals (10-15+ years).

Advice to Management

None

10. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Fluor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Variety of projects, people, diversity, opportunities.

Cons

Small progress on the corporate ladder outside of the US if you're not American.

Advice to Management

Try retaining talent people (and compensate them well) instead of bringing in North American expats on higher rates.

Showing 1,069 of 1,216 reviews