Fluor Reviews | Glassdoor

Fluor Reviews

Updated February 22, 2017

Pros
  • high regard in work life balance, benefit is reasonable (in 41 reviews)

• A good work environment, freedom to perform and excel (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is hard to achieve when working long hours (in 10 reviews)

• Still lack diversity in upper management especially in global level (in 18 reviews)

"It's not just in Hollywood...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I worked at Fluor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The more I think about it, the less I find.

Cons

... that the ludicrous gender pay descrepency exists. I was on many occasions forced to supervise men, who had less education and experience then I did yet were paid more than I was. I was constantly threatened with my job, had disparaging remarks made to me about my gender, my motherhood, and on one occasion my misogynist boss screamed across the company cafeteria, "Hey, you're getting fat." I was also told that I wouldn't be considered for advancement because men needed a job more than I did, and I had a husband at home to take care of me. I felt like I was back in college where I couldn't get the best serving jobs because I wasn't blonde and skinny and gorgeous. In fact I have seen several very uneducated and unqualified women advance at Fluor due solely to their looks and willingness to flirt (and unfortunately probably do more than just flirt.)
     I was told point-blank that I had no control of my career while I was there, and that the menfolk knew what was best for me. Fluor disgusts me.

Advice to Management

I want you to know that on several occasions I have had job candidates, male job candidates, in my field contact me and ask me my opinion of what it is like to work there. I told them every ugly truth and I hope that everyone of them turned down your offer of employment.

2. "Utility"

Former Employee - Utility
    Former Employee - Utility

Pros

Friendly,treat you right,treat you with respect,pay good,job opportunities.

Cons

Rain lots of rain,have to be off too many times because of it.

"No ethics"

Pros

Some good people but no support and don't even think of bucking the current regime

Cons

FGG - Non compliant with Government requirements, no loyalty to subcontractors, no insight of customer requirements only guessing ,no investment in tools for employees, does not regard honesty as an attribute. if you are not part of the clique, don't bother. Not interested in improving business acumen and have the wrong people in leadership / decision making positions

Advice to Management

Clean house, your current structure in FGG and people are not working for the company. definition of insanity prevails

5. "Fluor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

Pros

Cafeteria, nice campus, In Texas

Cons

Benefits, Projects, management, loyalty,

6. "mechanical engineer"

I have been working at Fluor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible schedule, interesting projects , ok benefits

Cons

non sense procedures regarding business controls, promotions dont really happen and hard to get raises

Advice to Management

none really since it is a corporation ..too many chiefs for few indians

"Worst company ever"

Former Employee - HSE Manager
    Former Employee - HSE Manager

I worked at Fluor (More than 5 years)

Pros

There was nothing good. Don't bother looking for any of the good, there is none. There are none for women anyway.

Cons

I was not given the tools to do my job for one. I lugged my own printer, laptop and phone to jobs and they wouldn't even provide a token ID to get into the intranet! Cost a lousy $5 a month and said no. Mind you I was in a professional position, with required reports each month that required company intranet access.

I was denied every bit of training I asked for as well. Now, you would think that I was a bump on the log, to fill a gender quota (that's how I was treated), but when I needed some time off to see my dying father it was -- "oh no, you can't take time off." I was almost fired when I basically said, "I have 10 weeks of vacation available, because you never let me take time off. I can get another job, I can't get another dad."

The favoritism, the nepotism, the discrimination against those who are educated and ambitious are qualities that are embraced -- not rebuked in any way -- at Fluor. I hate what they did to my career and my life.

"Stay Away from this company if you can"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

They will pay you good sometimes even great when the market is up

Cons

They will kick out at the first chance they get if they don't have projects. You should be related to top management or have a Godfather/Godmother to keep your job or get promoted.

Advice to Management

Keep good employees based on performance and not relation. Stop nepotism that is plaguing the organisation

"I do not recommend this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

No Supervisor on site, make up time is a plus

Cons

No incentives to employees. You can work hard while others don't and they get paid more than you. Supervisor and managers don't even care.

Advice to Management

Do not abandon your employees who work hard everyday.

"Great company lead by lazy people"

Former Employee - EMT Purchasing Director in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - EMT Purchasing Director in Greenville, SC

I worked at Fluor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great systems and tools with hard working project teams. Leadership seems to have forgotten how they make money.

Cons

Too many EMT,s and VP and they seem to take care of themselves. Record profits always being told, but when pay raises come out for the little guys always seems to be a downturn in the market. Wonder if the vp bonuses reflected that too?

Advice to Management

Start planning for the future.......your EMT friend will retire soon along with you and nobody left to do the work.

11. "Design Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Sugar Land, TX

Pros

Good benefits for insurance and free health screening

Cons

Bad environment for contract engineers

Advice to Management

Treat contract and permanent engineers the same

Showing 57 of 1,057 reviews