Fluor Reviews | Glassdoor

Fluor Reviews

Updated September 11, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Can be a tough work life balance travelling from mega project to mega project (in 13 reviews)

• No cons as such great company to work with (in 20 reviews)

"Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fluor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, 401k match, work life balance can be ok if you force it

Cons

Poor management with no vision, aging workforce, only most senior executives get meaningful incentive compensation, good-ole-boy crony network is very strong

Advice to Management

Quite protecting and promoting sycophants, actually adhere to the "OneFluor" ideals you state

"Inconsiderate"

Former Employee - Maintenance in Crystal River, FL
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Crystal River, FL

Pros

Pay is good. Hours givin are awesome the choice to work sundays or even weekends is awesome the hours in a work day are ok.

Cons

employee appreciation is horrible, HR hasn't their things together, no per-diem for those (quite a few) who live 90+ Miles away.

Advice to Management

Consider your employees when their homes burn. Show Appreciation when employees work their butts off and are an assets to your business.

"Senior design engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Fluor full-time

Pros

A few good people to work with.

Cons

Massive layoffs. No loyalty. Prevalent corruption and shady dealings in developing countries

Advice to Management

Get rid of the senior management.

"INSULATION, PAINT DEPARTMENT."

Pros

Good opportunity to grow and learn.

Cons

In order to grow with the company, you have to agree with everything that the superintendent says weather its good or bad because if you don't, forget about growing.

Advice to Management

Management needs to start looking outside of the box and start listening to workers, foreman. People is afraid to talk and have to rely on this reviews after they are terminated or forced to quit because we know we won't be heard.
    Like I said on the pros "its a good place to learn" how not to be a bad boss.
    There is differences on being a BOSS and being a LEADER and thats what we need at Fluor.
    A boss is all about I DID THIS, I DID THAT. A leader is all about WE DID THIS, WE DID THAT.
    Key word WE.

5. "Watch your back"

Former Employee - Pipe Fitter in Baytown, TX
    Former Employee - Pipe Fitter in Baytown, TX

Pros

Used to be a great place to work. I could call my recruiter any time I was out of work, he would put me to work.

Cons

I was injured back in November, off for six weeks, returned to desk duty for 3 months. Upon returning to desk duty, I started looking for my tool box. No luck. The job site DID NOT put my tool box in a secure location while I was out healing.Now they aren't willing to replace my tool box or my 20 + years of tools.

Advice to Management

Put people in HR that have actually worked in the field and don't have their heads in the clouds. Their response was " How do we know that you had a box". My response was " If I didn't have a box, I wouldn't have been employed to get hurt". I can't get any response from upper management to return my calls.

6. "This sucks"

Current Employee - Facility Maintenance Technician III in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Facility Maintenance Technician III in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Fluor (More than a year)

Pros

It's a job that's pays.

Cons

You get paid once a week and taxes are a little short at the end of the year. No pay raises at this site in over 5 years and the site manager is worried about his bonus

"Unfortunate bias"

Former Employee - Procurement Intern in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Procurement Intern in Greenville, SC

I worked at Fluor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company. Nice locations. Growing. Nice work schedule.

Cons

Didn't listen to anything I had to say. Automatically sided with others over me. Did not value intern opinion

8. "Not the best company to join"

Former Employee - Project Controls Principal in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Project Controls Principal in Irvine, CA

I worked at Fluor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment was calm and engineering decisions were made after repeated demand by the owners rep.

Cons

Engineers and builders who are not part of the inner Fluor circles already defined will be laid off quickly few hours after they are not job chargable. Projects use a lot of temporary engineers where 1 hours after their deliverables are met will be laid off. Overall not a place you can count on.

Advice to Management

Allow new additions to stay specially if they have proved their skills and effectiveness. Change the leadership and 30+ years managers so their circle is dynamic and there is no gang style leadership.

"It's not just in Hollywood...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I worked at Fluor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The more I think about it, the less I find.

Cons

... that the ludicrous gender pay descrepency exists. I was on many occasions forced to supervise men, who had less education and experience then I did yet were paid more than I was. I was constantly threatened with my job, had disparaging remarks made to me about my gender, my motherhood, and on one occasion my misogynist boss screamed across the company cafeteria, "Hey, you're getting fat." I was also told that I wouldn't be considered for advancement because men needed a job more than I did, and I had a husband at home to take care of me. I felt like I was back in college where I couldn't get the best serving jobs because I wasn't blonde and skinny and gorgeous. In fact I have seen several very uneducated and unqualified women advance at Fluor due solely to their looks and willingness to flirt (and unfortunately probably do more than just flirt.)
     I was told point-blank that I had no control of my career while I was there, and that the menfolk knew what was best for me. Fluor disgusts me.

Advice to Management

I want you to know that on several occasions I have had job candidates, male job candidates, in my field contact me and ask me my opinion of what it is like to work there. I told them every ugly truth and I hope that everyone of them turned down your offer of employment.

10. "Utility"

Former Employee - Utility
    Former Employee - Utility

Pros

Friendly,treat you right,treat you with respect,pay good,job opportunities.

Cons

Rain lots of rain,have to be off too many times because of it.

Showing 71 of 1,253 reviews