Fluor Reviews | Glassdoor

Fluor Reviews

Updated January 18, 2018

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Can be a tough work life balance travelling from mega project to mega project (in 15 reviews)

• There are no cons to speak of at this time (in 24 reviews)

1. "Global Company with Good Pay"

I worked at Fluor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting projects, opportunities for advancement and learning the industry, paid overtime and decent benefits

Cons

Lack of job security, workshare

2. "Great learning experience, typical big company"

Current Employee - Associate Design Engineer II in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Design Engineer II in Houston, TX

I have been working at Fluor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great, experienced. The ability to work in different projects and move if you like is nice as well. Office culture is laid back, flexible time, 9 80's schedule.

Cons

Veey cyclical with oil and gas. Processes aren't great. Management clueless in their function many times because they are in the wrong role. Lack of accountability because of too much change.

Advice to Management

Don't be stubborn, hold yourself accountable, saving a few hours in design has cost you way way more in construction mistakes.

3. "Construction Engineer"

Current Employee - Construction Engineer
    Current Employee - Construction Engineer

I have been working at Fluor full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits and good pay.

Cons

Can be a tough work life balance travelling from mega project to mega project.

4. "Director"

Former Employee - Director in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Director in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Fluor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fluor offers very competitive salaries and bonus structure for senior managers

Cons

On the Facility Management side of the business you could very easily find yourself without a position if the client requests a change. Unfortunately Fluor does not have a wide spread presence in the area which could present other opportunities

Advice to Management

Don't forget your site managers and site personnel, frequently share mission, goals, relationship information with the various teams. Upper management communications with the teams is key to maintaining the company culture.

5. "Structural design engineer"

I have been working at Fluor full-time

Pros

Wide variety of work. Lots of community involvement. Friendly management. Supportive of pursuing further education.

Cons

When work is scarce job security is not guaranteed.

6. "Supervisor"

I have been working at Fluor full-time

Pros

20 years of employment,never owed any wages,plenty of opportunities to work overtime

Cons

Not always where I wanted to be working

7. "Diverse piping and mechanical construction performed in multi-cultural settings."

Former Contractor - Hydro-Test/Piping Coordinator in Detroit, MI
    Former Contractor - Hydro-Test/Piping Coordinator in Detroit, MI

I worked at Fluor as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Worked as Mechanical Construction Engineer (14 years professional) and over 35 years total mechanical discipline experience. Worked in power generation, oil and gas, pulp and paper, manufacturing, chemical, petro-chemical phases of heavy industry working on piping, static and rotating equipment. Experience includes install, start-up and maintenance of utilty, process, steam, plumbing piping.

Responsibilities of a construction engineer have included but not been limited to design / install of engineered pipe supports, overseeing pipe installs, systems start-up and commissioning.

Cons

Lived out of suitcase most of adult life. Travel was exciting but at times had tendency towards putting teams in harms way.

Advice to Management

Teamwork is vital at all levels. Plan work carefully and work plan in environment where HSE is priority #1.

"Large corporation advantages and disadvantages"

Current Employee - Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Fluor full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, leader in the industry, opportunity for field/site assignment and experience, vast knowledge base and training resources, large projects with multi-year life cycles.

Cons

Hire and fire culture, outdated tools and processes, reactive nature, negative view of engineering, CYA and blame mentality, employees undervalued, poor corporate communication and overall ambiguous vision and direction of the company.

Advice to Management

People are a company's greatest assets, and should be treated as such, valued above and beyond reputation, perception, or process.

9. "Love it best place to be"

Former Employee - I & E in Baytown, TX
    Former Employee - I & E in Baytown, TX

I worked at Fluor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits good pay and great hours . I would definitely work here again. Everyone seemed to be working safely and the safetys were actually nice.

Cons

Well honestly the traffic to get of this place was horrible. Sometimes it was a one hour wait. The parking was a mess

"Project Controls Specialist"

Former Employee - Project Controls Specialist in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Project Controls Specialist in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Fluor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are so many great things that I can say about Fluor that will not fit in this box, so I will provide highlights. The people at Fluor are amongst the best in the world (both technically and personally). The training at Fluor is also world-class, they have annual training requirements and those are monitored and discussed with managers. Mobility and career opportunities are very easily accessed at Fluor, I had several different geographic project locations and was promoted several times over a 7 year period of time. Great work-life balance is provided and safeguarded at Fluor - one safeguard is that overtime is compensated at straight-time pay (this at least requires managers to pay for overtime, which requires thought prior to assigning tasks that may put an employee beyond 40 hours).

Cons

For me, one of the major downsides to working at Fluor was the pay. I joined Fluor right out of the military, so I was not exceptionally aware of competitive market salary for my profession. I was easily recruited by another company, whose first offer to me was 50% more than what Fluor was paying, not including other benefits that made them more attractive than Fluor. That's the primary reason I checked the "Former" box above.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate the compensation strategy for employees, and increase salaries. You are losing talented professionals to your competitors (and in my case losing them to your clients) because you are not willing to pay as much as they are to keep the talent. Think of how much revenue is lost every time HR recruits a talented graduate or professional, then you train them in their position, then you assign them to a project and they learn the details of that project, then you lose them to another company.

Showing 530 of 1,349 reviews