Folica Reviews | Glassdoor

Carl Gish

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in New York, NY

Pros

Folica is a great company to work for because once you are here you have the ability to improve and grow within your field. If you work hard and take your job serious you will get far in this company. The atmosphere within the company is very familial which is great because you can work with like-minded people who are working towards one goal and that is to make this company the best in the business. Great atmosphere, great benefits, great and understanding CEO; what else could you possibly need?

Cons

Nothing that comes to mind

"The future is bleak for Folica"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Folica full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company was brought back from the brink of collapse by the resourcefulness, ingenuity, handwork and customer concentric culture fostered by the GM and the Directors. It was a very collaborative environment where employees where encourage to take ownership. Things were not perfect but progress was being made. After her departure in April 2014 everything went downhill.

Cons

The new CEO systematically dismantled every process, system, culture. values and relationship that Folica had built over 15 -20 years. She alienated the employees, and pushed many of them out to be replaced by her friends who had no experience in e-commerce. She is a very arrogant, irrational and unpredictable. She and her cohorts managed to shrink the company to half its value in less than a year. Revenue has continued to shrink month over month, brands and partners have abandoned Folica, customers base is shrinking, bills have been unpaid for months and employees are being laid off. Folica's future is bleak unless the board steps in to make major changes. This CEO has taken the company from the road to recovery to the road to bankruptcy.

Advice to Management

There is no point giving advice to those who refuse to listen and refuse to acknowledge the dire situation the company is in.

3. "Changes are happening and for the better."

Current Employee - NY - New York in New York, NY
    Current Employee - NY - New York in New York, NY

I have been working at Folica full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been at Folica for a long time now and the it's always been a fun, relaxed work atmosphere. The management team is available if you need them, and are understanding that there is a need for a work to personal life balance. They've always been open to me leaving early as needed as long as I stayed on top of my work.

Cons

Sometimes the amount of work that you get can be stressful but it's part of the game so I get it.

Advice to Management

Keep the lines of communication open and stay transparent with your teams.

"Was Good."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Folica (More than 3 years)

Pros

I learned a lot in my time there but felt stifled in the last few months.

Cons

Pay is relatively low. No room for advancement or raises. Management changes the focus nearly every day and blames their poor decisions on its employees (past and present).

Advice to Management

Trust that your employees know what they are doing especially since they've been in the industry for some time.

"Not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dayton, NJ

I worked at Folica full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are none anymore, other than a select group of employees which make the experience enjoyable.

Cons

Upper management is deceitful. Several have left the company since the arrival of the new CEO and those that remain are miserable. Many of the CEOs friends have since been hired. The outlook is not bright for this once thriving company.

Advice to Management

Learn to be honest with people in a respectful way. You will burn bridges within your professional network if you carry on this way.

"Another company outsources jobs"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dayton, NJ

Pros

Prior to the new CEO taking over, the company was not a horrible place to work. Full time hours were offered, as well as health insurance

Cons

There is not one good thing I can really say here. CSRs are treated as non human pieces of equipment, exploited and underpaid. Employees who had no business keeping their jobs were the best paid, and given the best hours, there is not even a trace of consistency with policies, and best of all, the company lacks a true HR department. Towards the end of my employment, I felt singled out, and had my hours cut by a third. The business is run very unethically, from calling full time employees "part timers" to selling expired shampoo.

Advice to Management

Since management has decided to ship jobs off to God knows where, what sort of advice could I really offer?

"customer service representative"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dayton, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dayton, NJ

I have been working at Folica part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a relaxed office. The people are great and the wrok is fairly easy. You learn something new everyday. Some of the customers are all around great people and they really make the job worth it.

Cons

There is no room to grow in this company. The pay is not terrible but it is below what we should be making. The hours change constantly, you don't know if your going to work a full 40hrs or 20hrs week to week.

Advice to Management

We pride ourselves on great customer service but you can not have great customer service if you don't take care of your employees first. Listen to employee suggestions, provide stable work hours, and lets us know when we are doing a good job not just when we mess up. An employee appreciation day and a raise for the customer service reps would be a good start.

9. "Fantastic! Once in a lifetime career experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

small comapny values and environment, collaboration, opportunity to work with all levels of management, open and honest environment

Cons

The location in NJ is not as convenient or close much.

"Not recommended"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Location in midtown Manhattan is ideal for CT commuters. Health insurance package is good includes medical, dental and even vision.

Cons

Poor chain of command, sharing questions and concerns is not welcome, compensation is weak. Worked to the bone on projects that turn out messy and mistake-riddled.

Advice to Management

I'd suggest the management reevaluate their priorities. Goals are rushed, results are sloppy, and employees are unhappy. They need some corporate karma.

"A Great Place to Work and Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Team Support:
    I have come from largely entrepreneurial / startup companies, very scrappy, very DIY. At Folica we have cross functional support so I don't have to do everything myself, which is kind of disorienting depending on your background, but long run a plus. The CEO takes a strong hand in guiding key initiatives, which include team members from every level from coordinator to directors / senior VPs all meeting together to execute.

Personal and Professional Growth and Coaching:
    Folica is the most "corporate" job I have ever had. While it was jarring and somewhat difficult for me to begin with (as I said I come from a small company / startup background), the planning and strategy that has been required of me ("coaching") really has helped me to do my job better and to hit in some cases aggressive revenue / growth numbers.

Fun:
    It is fun to work here!

Cons

I don't have any huge complaints about working here.

Space is one thing - Though Folica has significant revenues with several years under its belt, the NY office in particular is run quite lean; our office is pretty but not particularly spacious.

One thing that wasn't transparent when I joined was the necessity of commuting to the NJ office at times. This isn't too big a deal (weeks can go by before I have to go to NJ), but I wouldn't want to do it every day; the Leadership Team all meet in NJ once per week, so if I ever get to that point in my experience here (crossing fingers), I don't think I would be too bothered with a once-a-week earlier day / later night.

Anyway, the NJ guys are fun to hang out with!

Advice to Management

I think Management should continue to try to identify, address, and integrate the issues experienced between pre-Stripes Group and post-Stripes Group investment employees. The pre-Stripes team, like me (personally) come from a scrappier / DIY background; change can be difficult, but change can be good. I personally feel like I have grown in my role, how good I can be at my job, and my ability to deliver against targets thanks to the required strategy / planning and top-down coaching I have received here; management should continue that, too.