Folio Financial, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 23, 2019

3.1
Folio Financial, Inc. CEO Steve Wallman
Steve Wallman
Pros
  • "Donuts and bagels on Monday, and free parking(in 16 reviews)

• "(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "I didn't know anybody at Folio that wasn't looking (passively or actively) for employment elsewhere(in 6 reviews)

• "Low morale, high turnover and no real job training or clearly defined responsibilities(in 5 reviews)

1. "Great team atmoshphere, benefits, and carreer opportunites. I love what I do each day!"

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Folio Financial, Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Different responsibilities, projects, and different client segments provides a role that stays fresh. I've been able to develop as a professional by taking on new challenges and experiences. It is rewarding to see feedback that I've provided implemented!

Cons

Development resources are often decked against new products so enhancements or maintenance on existing tools etc. can take too long for internal/external clients. At times these needs may never get addressed.

Advice to Management

Continue to be an advocate for your clients and employees.

Folio Financial, Inc.2019-09-23
  2. "Opportunity to Grow and Develop Skills"

Current Employee - Conference Coordinator in McLean, VA

I have been working at Folio Financial, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employees are determined to put forth the best work they can on all projects. CEO cares about products they put forth. Working smarter rather than harder not only accepted but championed. There are many opportunities to work with other areas of the business so movement is not an issue.

Cons

It is warm in the office during the summer and cold in the office in the winter.

Advice to Management

Find those with the most passion and perseverance and give them opportunities to succeed.

Folio Financial, Inc.2019-08-21
  3. "You Get What You Put In"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at Folio Financial, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I strongly recommend Folio Financial ...there is a very strong positive outlook. I really like the CEO, and feel lucky to have the opportunity to work with so many intelligent , great people. I have been working at Folio Financial full-time for over 4 years and there are lots of "Pros "!! Free fruit all week and good coffee! Donuts and bagels on Monday, and free parking. Some really smart , bright people,... and fantastic opportunity for growth if you are ambitious. Competitive salary and benefits compared to other major tech companies. 100% self-motivating work environment. Casual dress code. There are many employee socials each year which keeps the morale and camaraderie high. I have been reading the reviews for my company, and would like to take issue with some (all posted within the last 7 months); “I didn't know anybody at Folio that wasn't looking (passively or actively)” “Wake up to the fact that nearly everyone in the company is actively looking for a job.” “Everyone who can get out is actively looking.” “Everyone comes in with a smile and self-confidence only to be beaten, castrated, and unceremoniously fired” Well I have been working here for over 4 years, and this person does NOT speak for me, or anyone else in my department. We all get along, work well together, and for the most part have a good attitude about working at Folio. I also strongly suspect that the same disgruntled employee posted all of the reviews, even though you are not supposed to do that on Glassdoor. How can anyone say that “everybody” hates working here? I highly doubt that 5 different people posted the same false assessment of Folio. So my advice to this person is go ahead and submit your resignation, and stop posting the same negative feedback on Glassdoor. You clearly don’t want to work here, and your attitude is super-toxic. Either that, or start doing your job and stop complaining!

Cons

You have to be self-motivated. NO ONE will hold your hand and tell you that you're doing a great job. If you need constant affirmations from management, this company isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Give departments more autonomy and trust the leadership you have put in place. I will agree that the CEO does get involved in every aspect of the company, but also understand this as he has built this company from the ground up. However, you have really good people in charge – trust them!..which is an absolute "Pro"

Folio Financial, Inc.2019-08-21
  4. "Sky is the limit at this exciting Fintech Company!"

Current Employee - Vice President Marketing in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Folio Financial, Inc. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility, Location, Amazing Teams, Great Office Space, Solid Culture, Ethical and Responsible Company

Cons

Due to the pace of Fintech and Martech, the demands can ebb and flow daily which is not necessarily a con. However, you have to be prepared to shift and evolve as your workflow does.

Advice to Management

More news , announcements and celebrations of our dynamic and diverse workforce. We are 200+ unique and intellectual powerhouses with some really exciting stories and accomplishments. We need to shout our story out more often!

Folio Financial, Inc.2019-08-21
  5. "Great Company to get in the work force"

Former Employee - Help Desk Specialist in Arlington, VA

I worked at Folio Financial, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome people, good experience, fun happy hours and events.

Cons

Somewhat clueless upper management, company direction, pay

Folio Financial, Inc.2019-08-15
  6. "Good Place to work"

Former Employee - Help Desk Specialist in McLean, VA

I worked at Folio Financial, Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Solid mentorship amongst team Great introduction into a new job field Work life balance was ideal Work was challenging but do-able

Cons

At the time not the latest in infrastructure for my position

Folio Financial, Inc.2019-08-14
  7. "Honest opinion"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at Folio Financial, Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most coworkers are nice Cakes and a few social events a couple times a year Free parking

Cons

Lack of proper training No real leadership or experienced employees High turnover Handful of gossipers/two-faced individuals Low pay Little room for growth

Advice to Management

Try not to micromanage your employees too much, do not be passive-aggressive towards your employees, and stand strong. I realize that the tip-top execs might give you nonsense, but try to let to let that frustration out on your employees. Theres a reason the turnover rate is so high

Folio Financial, Inc.2019-08-05

"Tossup- Good Company / Lacking Company"

Former Employee - Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at Folio Financial, Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

certain people are 100% a pleasure to work with, others don't care about anything but a mediocre 40 hour a week paycheck, 401k match (4% but better than nothing), slim to none payroll-deducted insurance premiums for SINGLE people with great coverage, free coffee all the time, free donuts/bagels on Monday, free fruit delivered twice a week (some is not edible though), quarterly company happy hours at the office

Cons

The pay. It's below average for the area and the main reason people leave. I didn't know anybody at Folio that wasn't looking (passively or actively) for employment elsewhere. A previous reviewer summed it up very nicely, "Folio is stuck in a holding pattern". They haven't done anything new and exciting (and executed it well) in a very long time. Talent is leaving in droves. NO BONUSES, your only award is worthless... stock options with a long vesting schedule and no value in sight. Also, keep in mind it's a small company with limited growth opportunities

Advice to Management

Engage your employees more. Vet your employment candidates better. Hire more people with financial experience to provide an outside perspective. HR: Ask WHY people leave, or maybe you know and just don't care

Folio Financial, Inc.2019-07-08

"Desperate to get out"

Current Employee - Technology in McLean, VA

I have been working at Folio Financial, Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent location in Tysons Corner. Sense of camaraderie among employees, who are all trying to stay away from tyrannical CEO.

Cons

This is the worst place I have ever worked. Everyone who can get out is actively looking. Technology is outdated, pay is mediocre, there are no bonuses. Worst of all, morale is terrible. The company founder/CEO is a tyrant who yells, curses. and belittles everyone. It doesn't matter if you are a senior executive or a temp, you will are screamed at in public.

Advice to Management

Until the CEO is gone, there is nothing to be done. The business will remain in a holding pattern and customers will keep leaving.

Folio Financial, Inc.2019-06-29

Folio Financial, Inc. Response

July 29, 2019

Thank you for your post. You state that you are a current employee who has worked for the firm for more than 5 years. Given your tenure, we find the concerns you have shared interesting as most people with such concerns would not stay with a firm they felt this way about for so long. We strongly encourage you to speak with either someone in HR or your manager in order make improvements to your current situation as we value honest and direct feedback from all our employees.

"Top-Notch Talent & Opportunity For Growth"

Current Employee - Human Resources in McLean, VA

I have been working at Folio Financial, Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Collaborative work environment, ability to learn finance & technology - Multiple happy hours & company events offer time to get to know your co-workers outside of the work environment - Hardworking colleagues who like to have a bit of fun - Opportunity to advance in your career if you're willing to apply yourself - Good work/life balance; opportunity to work remote when necessary - Flexible work... schedules; employees are treated like grown-ups when it comes to work hours - Very diverse company that treats all people fairly - Upper management is approachable/available - Salaries are competitive for the DC Market/Benefits are excellent

Cons

- Could use more administrative help to tackle the tasks that are not automated - Fast-paced environment; must thrive on challenges - Like any innovative company in a highly-competitive market, strategies and approaches change quickly; this can be frustrating

Advice to Management

Based on some past reviews, looks like Folio should provide more resources for employee grievances. Being a small company with a small HR staff, I understand how some people don’t want to complain because they fear a backlash, but that is not the case. Employees should be confident that if they are looking for some action to be taken on their complaints, they should feel comfortable taking up their concerns with... their direct supervisor, who will go to bat for them. But I think some people just want to vent out of frustration, and don’t really want advice/actions, but just want to be heard.

Folio Financial, Inc.2019-05-17

Folio Financial, Inc. Response

July 29, 2019

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate you sharing it!

Found 62 reviews