Fonality Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Scult

Pros
  • Ability to work from home as needed (in 3 reviews)

• There were some really cool people who worked there, fun company functions and HHs (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No defined metrics for performance reviews, poor customer service, low employee retention, and senior management has no idea how to grow the business (in 3 reviews)

• Lacking to stagnant career growth (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Fonality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company that takes care of you and looks out for your best interests. I've never worked somewhere where they care as much as they do at Fonality. I don't feel like Fon is my employer, they are my family.

Cons

Light holiday schedule, but makes up for it with good vacation policy.

"Fonality is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at Fonality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Fonality during a time of transition for the company in which it was recovering from a previous senior management team and still getting used to the current management. Despite this, I found everyone to be very friendly, and some of my best friends are now from Fonality. I don't get the bad reviews on here - maybe those folks were pissed about being let go. I have found that most people are of very high quality, and now the company is doing well financially, hitting new highs regularly, and morale is high.

Cons

Free food in the office on a wagon is kind of fun but kind of lame at the same time. Sounds like it was a good idea long ago, but was kept for no good reason.

Advice to Management

I talk to customers regularly, and most everyone loves our product, especially HUD. More of the stuff we do best, and less of the commodity stuff.

Fonality Response

Sep 18, 2013 – Director of Human Resources

We're glad you are enjoying your time here at Fonality, and it's great to hear from someone who speaks to our customers on a regular basis. We are always looking to add new and exciting features to ... More

"Moving in the right direction"

Pros

Company is moving in the right direction. Given new management, they are learning from their mistakes and walking to a much better place. As difficult as it is, looking back on previous months shows that we are always in a better place than we were.

Cons

Like I said, it's difficult, particularly with the short staff, but they're making good headway.

Fonality Response

Sep 18, 2013 – Director of Human Resources

We are always looking into moving in the right direction and improving ourselves and I'm glad you feel we are headed in the right direction. At times it can feel like we're doing 10 jobs at once ... More

"A dynamic yet satisfyingly challenging workplace"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Fonality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For those who wish to learn something new everyday, Fonality delivers. No one day is like the other, so if you want to learn and feel challenged without necessarily feeling overwhelmed, Fonality is the place to work.

There's a real sense of team and although there is a good number of things to do on a daily basis, you can depend on your fellow co-workers for help. But the goodwill you feel within your own department isn't limited to just your department. If there's an issue that extends beyond your department, you can lean on your fellow co-workers in other departments without the whole feeling that your encroaching someone else's "jurisdiction" or vice versa. There's real camaraderie here.

Cons

Although they give 2 weeks paid vacation, increase in how fast you accrue PTO doesn't occur until after you worked here for 5 years. That seems to be on the long side.

"Fonality is on the up swing!"

I have been working at Fonality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance with competitive salary. Relaxed yet professional workplace is refreshing! There is continuous growth potential both as an individual contributor as well as a company. The relatively young average age of the office adds increased energy and excitement wile still working as a "team."

Cons

We have had many challenges over the last three years, but our current CEO is making great changes for improving the company.

Advice to Management

Please continue the growth pattern. Fonality has been a great place to work.

"A satisfying, enjoyable workplace that continues to grow and improve"

Current Employee - Engineering in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Fonality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the best work/life balance in the industry, consistently interesting fast-paced environment, relaxed culture and coworkers, bagels, smart about promotions. I look forward to going to work each day!

Cons

Sometimes the direction, especially from executives, seems unclear and unfocused, and organizationally suffers from a large amount of technical debt and cruft made in the startup days--that said, all of this continues to improve rather than degrade.

Advice to Management

Improve morale & team mentality, especially inter-departmentally, and communication between all levels of the company. Continue to find and promote talent from every level of the company--Fonality has been exceptional at this, and I hope to see it continue as the company grows.

"Fonality offers a wonderful environment with flexibility and investment in its employees."

I have been working at Fonality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Due to the nature of the product sold, there is a lot of flexibility for employees working remote and employees from different offices are able to collaborate easily. Even though offices are spread out, there is a real sense of community here. Employees are always working together on developing products, solving issues and assisting customers. The company is very invested in their employees and often promoted from within. The people here are great.

Cons

Whenever a company allows you to work remote or provides flexible hours, it becomes very easy to put in extra hours. This is never expected or demanded, but it happens. Plus, everyone is so helpful, people stay late to assist one another.

"Great place to learn and contribute!"

I have been working at Fonality full-time

Pros

Learn new things every day from smart, committed people. The company is small enough that each person makes a real difference to the company and the customers, yet there are real opportunities to expand professionally to working with other parts of the business. Also, the CEO is a really smart and (more importantly) experienced leader and is a role model for managing a technology company of this size.

Cons

As will most smaller companies there is always a struggle with priorities and resources.

Advice to Management

Keep providing reasonable, but aggressive, goals and maintain a strong dialog inside the company to foster continued teamwork!

"One of the best, if not the best work environment"

Pros

Fonality brings together a phenomenal group. Management does offer opportunity to learn, grow, and develop your skills. Plus there is always food!

Cons

The work can be challenging and if you're up to challenges then it really is not a con' Because it is challenging the will be a lot asked of you.

Advice to Management

Continue to groom and promote employees, it has led and will continue to lead to the success of the company.

"Channel Manager"

Current Employee - Channel Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Channel Manager in Plano, TX

Pros

Compensation, Laid Back Atmosphere, Management very supportive, Comfortable office, Not Micromanaged, I'm a top performer and have the ability to run my business in a very comfortable way to ensure success.

Cons

No 401K Matching, Too many people allowed to telecommute which has lessened the office environment.

Advice to Management

Enforce less telecommute except where needed, Match 401k.