Food Bank For New York City Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Margarette Purvis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "One wonders about the reasons for the high turnover in the CFO role" (in 5 reviews)

• "Unresponsive HR department, little room for career growth" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Good place to work"

Pros

Helping people is very nice.

Cons

The cons are that this is seasonal job. If the taxpayer will have audit or some paper from the State or IRS they need to go to professional tax accountant to solve the problem.

Sep 6, 2018 – Food Bank For New York City

Thank you for this feedback. Food Bank For New York City takes pride in the diversity of our employees across the organization. We also take pride in being a large, multi-faceted organization that... More

2. "Volunteering"

Former Employee - Volunteer in New York, NY

I worked at Food Bank For New York City part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very kind volunteers
    Giving back!
    Can pick the shifts you wish to do

Cons

A little hard to finding out what to do if it’s your first time there

"If I could leave 0 stars I would!"

Current Employee - Tax Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Food Bank For New York City full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some clients were grateful for you helping them.

Cons

Management is racist and so inconsistent. They don’t help and then pretend to. They’re super fake and cowards.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage. Don’t treat your employees like children or lie to their faces acting like you’re not secretly trying to get them fired or transferred. They moved the only two black people transferring them without their knowledge until morning of. Not only that, management wants to lie and say we didn’t offer overtime since you said you’re unavailable. Mind you, the same people they offered overtime to had days they put unavailable for too. They’re cowards, fake, and karma will come for them. Lazy pieces of crap that pretend to do work but yet take 3 hour lunch breaks. Say they’re here to help but when we need a manager they say they’re unavailable or for the workers to say something on their behalf when it’s their damn job to deal with clients who ask for supervisor. Disgusting people and I never want to work for this company again! Good riddens!

4. "Organization Lost"

Former Employee - Volunteer in New York, NY

I worked at Food Bank For New York City part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission is critically important
    Some great people at the lower operations level who care about the mission

Cons

Horrible CEO leadership. She has massive ego, poor judgement and lack of operating skills. She has driven away supporters and donors. seems like she just wants to hang with celebs at the Can-Do dinner. Read the responses (clearly written by her) to some of these reviews - long diatribes by unhinged person. How does she keep her job?

Advice to Management

Fire the CEO. Get back to the mission before it’s too late. Who would want to work with/ for her?

"Need to be tolerant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

I worked at Food Bank For New York City full-time (More than a year)

Pros

employees are professional and good people.

Cons

Not friendly or tolerant towards LGBT employees.

Advice to Management

Top staff is passive aggressive.

Jan 29, 2019 – Food Bank For New York City

Food Bank For New York City always appreciates every comment and moment of feedback made to bring us clarity, understanding and improvement. Unfortunately, we are unable to extend anything more than... More

"Would not recommend"

I worked at Food Bank For New York City full-time

Pros

Great work hours 9-4:30. Sick days, vacation days, 2 personal days.

Cons

"We recognize that a strong, talented staff is central to our success and we invest in development and retention." - Not evident, high turnover.

7. "Volunteer Income Tax Assistance"

I worked at Food Bank For New York City part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule, various locations, good for students who want to get some experience

Cons

not much to learn, low wage

"No"

Pros

Supervisor was nice and helpful.

Cons

Location is too far and in nowhere

"Director"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Food Bank For New York City full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission is exemplar and the organization has done great things for New Yorkers.

Cons

President has serious emotional problems. She is a great public speaker, but a mean-spirited and absent leader. She refuses to engage on projects, gives little direction, and then at the end she nixes what her staff members have done. There's an amazing amount to wasted effort. She is a self-esteem vampire and gets pleasure in hurting people. She has caused many great employees to leave, fires without cause, and has been responsible for funders to take their support to other organizations.

Advice to Management

The Board should get a backbone and remove her.

Sep 25, 2018 – Food Bank For New York City

The mission & staff at Food Bank are in fact exemplary. Thank you for recognizing it. While your statements make it clear that you were neither a director at Food Bank, nor a person able to boast... More

"All talk, no action"

I worked at Food Bank For New York City full-time

Pros

The organization attracts a lot of great talent, but doesn’t do anything to encourage them to stay. What they say they do, they don’t deliver on. You’ll meet great people here, but prepare to say goodbye quickly. I made a list of 40+ people who have left in the two years I’ve been here. The organization is about 125 employees for reference.

Cons

Don’t listen to the website! Insurance isn’t 100% covered anymore, so I’ve LOST money by staying here. Also they don’t follow through on cost of living adjustments. They’ll say you earned one from your stellar review, but your paycheck shows they didn’t follow through. This happened to me TWICE. Maybe if they kept the one functional HR professional this would be better, but for now it’s an absolute mess.

Also take a look at their tax form 990 on their website. It’s public knowledge senior leadership gets $40,000 bonuses when they won’t
    give their staff a living wage. $40,000 is more than what some staff make in a year, and now we have to pay for our own health insurance.

Advice to Management

Follow up all the story telling with action.

You had the audacity to say you were giving us paid family leave as a gift? It’s all over the subways that it’s the law! We see right through your acting.

Jul 9, 2018 – Food Bank For New York City

Thanks for acknowledging our great talent. Food Bankers are open to development, something they receive on the job (supported by colleagues & leaders) & via nonprofit leadership programs at the org’s... More