What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Great people and easy job when a student" (in 272 reviews)
- "Flexible hours and days of work" (in 244 reviews)
- "always friendly and coworkers are great" (in 187 reviews)
- "Flexible scheduling and depending on the store pretty good at getting the days you need off for school and other things" (in 104 reviews)
- "flexible scheduling for employees is good" (in 91 reviews)
- "Low pay and expects you to do others work for them and does not train had to self train" (in 530 reviews)
- "Poor management and very gossipy" (in 370 reviews)
- "Bad managers and not following company policy" (in 170 reviews)
- "No benefits for being part time" (in 105 reviews)
- "The annual Raises are low" (in 73 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Food Lion and is not affected by filters.
- Race / Ethnicity
- Sexual Orientation
- Parent or Family Caregiver
- Veteran Status
Found 5,281 of over 5K reviews
Updated Sep 23, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 5.0Mar 28, 2023To-GoCurrent EmployeeCharlotte, NC
Straight forward, easy-going position. Honestly kind of fun to search for the different items. Being able to help in other parts of the store is nice too, not stuck doing the same thing.
Sometimes slow, but you can always help to pick up on cashiering, stocking, grabbing carts.
- 4.0Jul 23, 2023EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 8 yearsJohnson City, TN
Food Lion is one of the better grocery chains to work for in the region. They pay better than Ingles & Food City. There always seems to be a chance to work more hours if you want them. A good employee nucleus with the long term employees who are a wealth of knowledge and full of kindness. Employees are constantly thanked for helping the customers and the count on me mindset really helps us take care of customers and fellow coworkers. Work and life balance is good and asking off for important dates usually gets approved.
Quality of pay is still lacking and needs to improve. It's gotten better especially with new management being opened to discussing this topic. Even if the region is lower cost of living, the base pay rate is still too low. Also, factoring in cost of living on the rise, company sales continue to grow, employee pay should reflect that. Employees keep hearing about record sales, while hours get cut (in the past) the week after.1
Food Lion Reviews FAQs
Food Lion has an overall rating of 3.3 out of 5, based on over 5,382 reviews left anonymously by employees. 53% of employees would recommend working at Food Lion to a friend and 45% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.
53% of Food Lion employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Food Lion 3.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.3 for culture and values and 3.2 for career opportunities.