Food Lion Reviews in Statesville, NC | Glassdoor

1.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Food Lion President Meg Ham
Meg Ham

Pros
  • Flexible hours and enjoy the job (in 64 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule, reasonable worker attitude, and professionalism is well represented in the stores (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Worked full-time hours but management refused to make me a (in 75 reviews)

• Not enough hours given to the part time employees to work there shifts (in 68 reviews)

"Assistant Customer Service Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager in Statesville, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager in Statesville, NC

I have been working at Food Lion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full time, good pay, cashiers are awesome to work with, customer base has it's regulars who are a joy to work with and be around, store manager is really caring, good office associates to back you up and help

Cons

There is no training what so ever when you step into this role. NO CBTs or anything to help you out. You have to basically figure out yourself how to make the schedule for the front end and how to do research on the over short and where the mix up was with money.

Advice to Management

Make some type of CBTs to help when someone steps into this position or at least have a CSM that knows how to perform the duties of the job.

2. "Something needs to change quick"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Statesville, NC

I have been working at Food Lion part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have flexibility in my hours.

Cons

They are not fair with employees. They baby certain ones. When you have a good worker and dependable why treat them like they arent important but turn around and let people get away with just wasting company money because they aren't doing their jobs, its ridiculous. I beg for hours to work and they "see what they can do" but when someone calls out they ask me to work. I have another job and I have stayed with food lion almost 9 months while being in school full time too. It, why?

Advice to Management

Wake up and see the problem. Our store was without a manger for so long that people are use to not having structure. It's not right.

"Purgatory"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Associate in Statesville, NC
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Associate in Statesville, NC

I have been working at Food Lion part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers tend to be friendly, helpful, and hard working. Generally speaking, store management tries to lead and coordinate their employees into an efficient team. They're all pretty supportive and understanding of their employees needs, at least in my store.

Cons

It feels like communication between the corporate level and store level is incredibly weak. Corporate seems to use fear to motivate their subordinates and the company overall seems to operate as a hierarchy rather than a network or team. Disagreement, concern, or criticism is treated as a threat to the company rather than an opportunity to grow as a whole.

Many managers, both at store and department level, voice that they feel micromanaged and that they have no autonomy--and in some cases, no purpose. Particularly on a department level, where one manager said that the title of manager felt more like a target for corporate to point their finger at if something goes wrong. In some cases, managers are written up because someone above them didn't like a solution a manager came up with to address a problem despite it not breaking rules, hurting the store, or affecting the company.

The implement a lot of new ideas without genuinely asking the management of their stores and rely on "experts" to come up with strategies that are great on paper, but aren't necessarily one-size-fits-all for each store. The deli in our store, for instance, now has a new tile island in the middle of their prep room that greatly hinders the deli workers' ability to maneuver their floats with any degree of efficiency and clutters the general workflow.

Hours are scarce in a few departments. The deli is notorious for getting its hours cut and creating a stressful atmosphere in which employees feel the need to work off the clock, since they would face consequences both if the work was unfinished and if they worked over their allotted hours.

Though I don't actually work in the deli, my mother has previously, and the deli workers at the store I currently work at voice similar issues, which are that expectations are unreasonable, yet unwavering. Workers may be understaffed and slicing meat for a line of customers, but will be reprimanded if they fail to simultaneously find the time to fill the cake case and prepare the hot bar among other things. Sometimes, regardless of how skilled the workers are at prioritizing their time, circumstance dictates that it's impossible to get everything done, but there is little to no tolerance.

Employees across departments note that, if you are good at your job, you are laden with increasing responsibility until you are no longer good at your job, at which point you start to get complaints on your performance; a bit like a sadistic juggling act.

Several employees have voiced dissatisfaction and quit because corporate, and by extension their overworked management teams, criticize mistakes harshly, but rarely note or reward what is being done right.

Raises and employee appreciation are paltry.

Because of aforementioned grievances, the entire atmosphere that they try to say that they have feels incredibly fake. They refer to everyone as a "family" even though everyone feels like they're walking tightropes just to keep their jobs and no one feels secure. They say things like "We don't believe in unions because we feel it gets in the way of our relationship with our employees." but then fails to foster any sort of tangible relationship--it feels more like a convenient and polite lie when what they're actually saying is "We are in charge. Fall in line." They tell us to take pride in the store we work at because it is OUR store; but any ideas or decisions made for such an idea are discouraged.

Providing excellent customer service is important to me, but feels tainted when we're told to greet customers to dissuade them from stealing from us. Personally, I'd rather greet customers out of the genuine desire to make them feel welcome, but now that an ulterior motive is in the back of my head, that minor pleasure is soured.

I witnessed one manager at another store being chided for being to familiar with the customers. He'd made the mistake of learning some of their names and following up on bits of small talk he'd remembered from having interacted with them prior.

It's an absolutely miserable working experience made tolerable by the solidarity of misery shared between you and your co-workers.

Advice to Management

Open conversation between the different layers of management.

Allow for the exchange of ideas in a truly non-hostile environment. There is a bitter divide between the "big wheels" and their subordinates caused by negative experiences, pressure, and stress and hidden under the guise of fake smiles.

Maintain your humanity. Workers are not machines. They have limits and there are innumerable potential situations that can be unforeseen to the extent that not even the most senior or adaptable employee can flawlessly handle it.

Invest less in trivial, petty matters and invest more in your employees. Give more hours to work with. Make sure that there are enough people to run the department with a few extra hours to manage the unexpected. Don't be so stingy with raises.

Competition is coming, and new jobs mean new work opportunities for current employees. Customer loyalty is important, but if all of your experienced employees are flocking to better prospects, there will be no one to run the store. People are starting to look.

Also, if our biggest importance is Ms. Johnson, your biggest importance can't be Ms. Johnson's wallet. I understand that you need to make money, but some of your changes to entice Ms. Johnson to empty her wallet are getting in our way of efficiently providing the kind of service you expect us to offer. You can't then punish us for it. This is why communication and clear goals are important.

Understand that we are a grocery store. There's only so much we can do to make more money. There are a set number of people in each area. These people are only willing to spend a certain maximum amount on groceries. There's a point where spending more on signage and advertisement is going to see diminishing returns in growth because of the nature of the goods in grocery stores. Our goal should be consistent profit generation that comes with customer retention, satisfaction, and return visits rather than trying to grow beyond our means. Again, something employee training and a positive working environment would be conducive to.

5. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Statesville, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Statesville, NC

I worked at Food Lion (Less than a year)

Pros

Good job for a college student. You do not have to be a rocket scientist, to do the job.

Cons

Could not take a sip of water in front of a customer, even provided a note from my doctor explaining a side effect of a medication causes excessive dry mouth. They follow only the policy's they want to, and if you ask questions and refer to policy they do not like that. And they do take it out on you.

Advice to Management

Do not punish a good cashier that is just trying to follow the company's policy, because they actually took time to read it and ask for things that policy states they are entitled to at least ask for. If you want to keep loosing good cashier's because of poor CSM management then keep letting CSM run the front end how they want and not according to how corporate wants it run. Because its nothing like what is written according to policy. And cashiers feel repercussions for bringing it to the CSM's attention.

"Cut Cut Cut"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Statesville, NC

Pros

If you don't gain anything else you'll at least learn how to deal with customers. It's also a great way to see how high and mighty people can act if given just a bit of power.

Cons

This is the last place I would tell anyone to apply for at the moment. Delhaize has become so enamored with cutting out another penny that they are running the stores and employees dry. Morale is below the floor and everything that made Food Lion worth working at has been either cut completely out or dropped to such a small amount that it's almost a joke.

Management is constantly being shuffled about and every one above the store level is only looking to cover their back sides incase someone comes along looking to cut them off as well. All it has led to is a lot of fools running about acting like kings.

Unless changes are made to bring the focus back to the store level(customer service levels and employee compensation) then this company will never regain its former position as a market leader.

Advice to Management

Remember who brings home the bacon. The sales are made at the store not in a cubicle or behind a fancy desk. Treat your employee well and compensate them properly and you will get your money's worth.

Also, stop letting your warehouses run the show. They've been given so much power that they alone can drag a store down. What gives them the right to force out pallets of product (often out of date) and then claim that the store can get no credit unless it's over such and such amount? This is incredibly short sighted.

"Could be Worse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Statesville, NC

Pros

Fair benefits, stable work environment. They do give you easy ways to try and move up be it into store managment or to the corporate environment.

Cons

Pay raises are yearly and capped at 3%. Many issues have to go through district managers and often takes far longer than it should. Store management tends to be overworked and under trained. Same goes for most other positions.

While the job may be stable, as everyone must eat, hours are constantly going haywire and full time positions are severly limited. It's also near impossible to get fired. If you see that as a con or pro is up to you, however, this means that poor workers suck away time and money from employees who actually try to do their jobs correctly. In the time I've worked at Food Lion I have seen many good workers come and go because others drag the whole thing down. And for whatever reason, management seems to think that being hard on everyone is somehow going to help the one bad apple.

Advice to Management

Make it easier to get rid of 'poor performers,' this alone will help morale and help your stores. Also, give people a reason to want to work hard for you. A once a year raise and false promises don't help.

I also realize that the economy is in the dumps at the moment, but cutting all your people back isn't going to help in the long run. When people come in to shop and the shelfs are empty and no one is up front to check them out they won't come back! You aren't the only store in town. You may see your record profits drop a bit in the short run, but isn't keeping the customer just as important?

I also understand that the big new thing is to make everyone in every store say the same exact things to every customer every time they see them. Why? People like people, not parrots. Honestly, it gets old, fast.

Showing 6 of 1,455 reviews