Food Marketing Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

1. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Food Marketing Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company, excellent pay, fun work environment

Cons

Too many hours, long commute

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

2. "This place was wonderful"

Former Intern - Graphic Design Intern in Arlington, VA
    Former Intern - Graphic Design Intern in Arlington, VA

I worked at Food Marketing Institute as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The people were extremely welcoming and friendly. It was fun to intern here and I learned a lot about the food industry.

Cons

As an intern, sometimes there wasn't a lot of work for me to do, so I would spend time just twiddling my thumbs.

3. "A good place to be for about a year and then find something else."

Current Employee - Administrator, Marketing in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Administrator, Marketing in Arlington, VA

Pros

Holiday schedule and staying within the 40 hours per week.

Cons

Very difficult to move up. Lopsided staff (2 VP per 1 Admin).

Advice to Management

Stop being so rigid on decision making.

5. "FMI... a pretty good place (but you should look into your other options)"

Former Employee - Senior Administrator, Research in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Administrator, Research in Arlington, VA

Pros

FMI is full of nice people. Many staffers get along and fraternize outside of work hours. Some people have been there for years and seem to really like it. There's an Employee Committee (I think it's called) that works together to boost the morale of the force. They do stuff like ice cream socials in the summer (as well as a picnic) and help plan all the holiday parties (though most of them are in the boardroom-- nothing too fancy.)There's a position for practically all talents. Management was always very respectful and listened to ideas from every level of the staff. No snootiness going on.

Cons

Well, promotions only came once a year. Actually I should say that salary reviews only came once a year, though promotions were few and far between as well. There weren't any bonuses, just a base salary to work with the whole year. The medical benefits were pretty good (and they also offered education tuition reimbursement), but they don't have any 401(k) matching plan (something I was very jealous of other people in other companies who had it) and they also didn't reimburse for transportation, either public or private. Also Job security is definitely not good these days... I will just leave it at that, but do you get the picture?

Advice to Management

Nothing-- I was satisfied overall with the way they handled things.

"If it sounds too good to be true..."

Former Employee - Logistics Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Logistics Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

Nice people who aren't in management make going to work easy but getting anything done can be a challenge. The Human Resources team gave me a 'poor' review because I didn't smile enough in the common areas so I guess they have all employee feelings in mind.

Cons

Ridiculous corporate structure is top heavy and paper work intensive. Every time they downsize the work load gets bigger while the staff shrinks and the people at the top aren't willing to do the actual work. Since I left it only sounds like it has gotten worse with three more rounds of layoffs and a recession on the horizon I doubt much will change.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who actually do the work

"Look Before You Leap"

Current Employee - Logistics Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Logistics Manager in Arlington, VA

Pros

FMI was a wonderful place to work about 15 years ago. It had integrity and the respect of its industry and the association community alike. It ruled fearlessly and was on the cutting edge of the issues currently facing and coming on the horizon for the supermarket industry. FMI always managed to find the right speakers and produce the largest trade show the industry could depend on. It was held as the shining star in the food industry and the one entity that everyone wanted to work for because, if you were good enough to work at FMI, you could write your own ticket if you left, which few ever did....leave that is. And the ones that did leave usually beat a fast path right back "home" because they found it difficult to work places that did not have the same standards or pull.

Cons

The largest downside with FMI is living a another day. FMI has had numerous layoffs over the years. Once the relief of not having been one of the people laid-off fades, you are faced with the reality check of all of the work that those "unfortunate" co-workers have left behind is now being put on your already overburdened plate. There are too few people remaining for FMI to continue business as usual but management seemingly has no clue of this truth. FMI continues all of the programs and a member services that were viable before the cuts and because the support staff lives in fear of keeping their jobs, they kill themselves to ensure that everything gets done although usually not to their personal standards and sometimes not FMI's either.

Advice to Management

It is my opinion that senior management should take a more realistic look towards the health and viability of the organization as a whole versus protecting their friends' positions. The idea that you can right the financial ship by releasing support staff from the payroll in favor of making the smart, albeit difficult, decision to remove upper management positions while looking at the overall function of the organization and the work/life balance for the remaining members of the staff.

Sad to say, a severe overall reorganization is the only hope for this association. The new President and CEO has her work cut out for her. The fear and pall of resignation running through the staff is palpable. The staff can see the writing on the wall and in these hard economic times their greatest wish is that they can find a new position before the ax falls on their necks next.

8. "Great people, great working environment"

Pros

FMI staff members are very dynamic, friendly, and impressive. There is a high powered but relaxed work environment that is conducive to teamwork and professional development.

Cons

I did not experience any major negative aspects of working at FMI.

9. "9 to 5 what a sad way to make a living"

I worked at Food Marketing Institute full-time

Pros

Compensation is commensurate.

Cons

Management provides very little support
    Inflexible working environment

Advice to Management

Lose the 9 to 5 mold and independently tailor each employee's working environment to optimize output.

10. "."

I worked at Food Marketing Institute full-time

Pros

Most employees work a typical 9-5 work week. Great benefits, vacation plan and flexibility.

Cons

Not many promotions from within.

11. "top heavy"

I worked at Food Marketing Institute full-time

Pros

- some strong supervisors and talented employees
    - most employees keep very reasonable hours
    - crystal city has outdoor zumba during the summer, so that's always good for entertainment.

Cons

many people and policies are in place simply because that is the way it has always been done. the organizational structure is rigid and employees must continually petition to see any sort of deserved salary increase. advancement or recognition of knowledgable talented staff is extremely rare, yet more and more executive level positions are created. there is a lack of human resource to support these positions. those with strong ideas to innovate and advance the company are eventually crushed by the organizations rigidity and either leave or resign themselves to mediocrity.

Advice to Management

trade associations and business as a whole has changed, it is time to update the organization. empower your staff, encourage new ideas and engage talented younger workers.