Food Safety Net Services Reviews

Updated Aug 5, 2020

1.8
Food Safety Net Services Chairman & CEO John W. Bellinger (no image)
John W. Bellinger
Pros
  • "I’ve been working at FSNS for a while now(in 18 reviews)

• "This place is a great place to start and get experience on what is to work in the real world(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are times we can work long hours(in 29 reviews)

• "I started with FSNS 4 years ago as a System Admin(in 26 reviews)

"Excited about my career growth!"

5.0

I have been working at Food Safety Net Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've seen some of the reviews and think that it would be nice to share a little bit about the positive experience in my lab. Overall, I enjoy working with the team including the managers. They are very supportive and have discussed plans to help me further my development with the company. It's nice to see a company focused on helping me reach my career goals.

Cons

It can get very busy at times and there is much to do in a short period of time. But I come from a retail background so it really doesn't bother me much. Plus this pays more than retail.

October 30, 2019SVP, Human Resource

Thank you for taking the time to provide this positive feedback. We appreciate all you do and are happy to hear you’re enjoying FSNS. I can identify with your comments in regard to retail – I too came out of that industry and I wish I would have found FSNS years ago for all the same reasons not to mention working with really bright people and a professional and clean working environment. We are working on more lab activities to include those off site. Each site will have a Holiday party which will be a lot of fun for you and a significant other. Thanks again! Bob Cox, SVP, HR.

2. "OK"

Current Employee - Microbiology Technician in Boise, ID

I have been working at Food Safety Net Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work with you on scheduling

Cons

Harsh on hours and poor corporate management

August 7, 2020SVP, Human Resource

Thank you for your feedback - I encourage you to meet with your Lab Manager to discuss your concerns. Bob Cox, SVP HR

3. "Good Place to Start"

Current Employee - Micro Technician in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Food Safety Net Services full-time

Pros

No experience needed Potential for overtime Great coworkers

Cons

Overtime is very common Somewhat disorganized environment Low pay

July 20, 2020SVP, Human Resource

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience here. We are working to continuously improve and create a work environment where our employees are happy, engaged, challenged, and growing. Bob Cox, SVP HR

"It's alright"

2.0
    Former Employee - Microbiology Lab Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Food Safety Net Services full-time

Pros

Okay for fresh grads who need some kind of experience on their resume

Cons

- Any chance at learning new skills will be gained as a Path Lab Tech, but you might not get there if at all. - You'll be swamped with work, stuck between demoralized coworkers who can't wait to get out ASAP and mid-to-upper level management who'd rather have an understaffed lab than god-forbid hire more people. - Amount of work is disproportionately high compared to the pay.

July 9, 2020SVP, Human Resource

We will continue to look into issues brought forward and address them quickly, though I hope you will consider reaching out to me directly. FSNS affords all employees all types of feedback vehicles – accessibility to all organization leaders, an Open Door Policy, Stay Interviews, Team Meetings, Confidential Hotline, etc. We listen, continue to make change, are in-process on a number of new hires and working to identify and assist high performing employees to move up in the organization. Financial rewards come with hard work, training and accepting promotional opportunities – we announce promotions of talented employees almost daily. It doesn’t matter what year your graduated from High School or college – to include your 1970s graduation year. Our goal is to make continuous improvements and create a culture where everyone is appreciated and has numerous opportunities to advance and grow. Hopefully your new endeavor meets your every wish and demand. Stay safe in your new field! Bob Cox - SVP, HR

"I would not do it again."

Former Employee - Main Lab Lead in Grand Prairie, TX

I worked at Food Safety Net Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Y'all already know who this is. Getting into this place, I was a fresh graduate from college desperate for someone to hire me. So many places had turned me down, so I'm glad FSNS was willing to allow a new grad with very little work experience join. FSNS is a good stepping stone for new grads to gain experience. Working at the Grand Prairie location, we're given some perks such as pot lucks and taking food home. Most of the work is repetitive so you're not really using too much brain power. Some people are cool to work with but that's with any job. Honestly... that's all I got for pros.

Cons

There's just... a plethora of things about this place that makes me want to-... ugh. Here's my life story. I started as an overnight main lab technician. That means literally nobody is there. When I started, there was no "training week" like they supposedly have now. I had no idea how to set samples or read the reports. I was completely clueless and relied on another overnight tech who started only a month prior to me. Other shifts didn't care about the overnight shift. They left mountains of work for us and went home. We busted our butts to make sure there were no reports in the morning, made sure things were stocked up for them to use, and made sure the lab was clean. The cycle repeats itself every single day. They leave us with a ton of stuff to clean up and do, we leave them spotless. It was aggravating. When I complained, supervisors didn't really do anything to rectify the situation. I moved to the day shift after a year and working with the people who always left things for me to do overnight, I saw how nobody wanted to do anything. There was no leadership and there was no sense of responsibility. I took on so much that was BEYOND MY PAY RATE in order to make things more streamlined. Did management really care though? No. They only cared to ask why I'm clocking in 50-60 hrs a week and corporate only cares about making sure we don't have overtime BUT we also need to get results out to our clients in a timely manner. It's difficult to make change in an environment that hates putting in the work. But I'm sure all my efforts have been tossed out the lab when I left. Once, a sister lab gained a new client and corporate forced all labs to give up 3 people to go to that sister lab to help set samples for that client. That means we were 3 people short in what's already a short staffed lab with people who work just to finish their scheduled hours and go home. What did any lab really gain from this? We were so behind. I worked 12+ hrs a day for weeks because both of our supervisors were gone since nobody else was trained enough to go over to that sister lab to work. So so soooo many times, the team works hard to get things done and out to clients, and management doesn't bother saying anything. But as soon as we're running behind schedule, they're on us like "why are we behind?" OH I DON'T KNOW MAYBE BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH EMPLOYEES??? AND YOU DON'T TRAIN THESE PEOPLE WELL SO THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING SO I'M OVER HERE REDOING THEIR WORK????????? Corporate would ask us about why our TATs were really bad compared to the other labs. But I've been to another lab before, they're not putting in the information truthfully. They're cheating the timer so that their hours look better than ours. Corporate also decides when labs should implement new things thinking it'll be better for us, but it makes things 10x worse. "No headphones in the lab". Do you think I really want to listen to Freddie's screamo rock for my 8+ hr shift? No. Do you think I want the stomacher going off screaming in my ear as I try to set samples and end up going deaf? No. The headphones are multipurpose but they care about us being able to hear people. If someone needs to speak to anyone they go to that person. So many times when there's an issue regarding the lab or an employee, management doesn't seem to act on it. They just let it continue to be an issue. A former coworker tried to go around management and emailed corporate and corporate told her to talk to management at the lab. So that was a dead end. When I "interviewed" to become the lead, all I knew was that I was getting myself more work with crap pay. When told about my pay raise, it was made to seem like a favor was done for me, rather than I deserved a pay raise for taking on more responsibilities. Communication between departments and between labs SUCKS. There's always some kind of drama BECAUSE COMMUNICATION SUCKS. For a place that prides themselves on using the Melina test to hire people, they sure do hire a lot of incompetent people. Imagine working there for 3 years, starting at a crappy rate of $13/hr overnight with no compensation for being an overnight employee and getting a $3.25/hr raise after three gruesome years working your butt off just to find out some incompetent guy who doesn't do anything around the lab got hired for $3 more than your current pay rate because he has "experience". There's also a new overnight supervisor there that doesn't do anything either. I know they had people who quit because they're tired of her crap, too. All she does is sit in her office and pretend she's on her email doing something important. Spoiler alert, there's really no important emails at 3 AM. We had multiple complaints on a single employee and nothing was ever done to that person. (We had multiple employees with multiple complaints). You really have to do some REALLY BAD stuff to get fired. This place has only ever fired 2 people. Everyone else just quits. High turnover rate. Don't tell me I'm "grossly over dramatizing" and that my allegations are "inaccurate" because they're not. I'm glad I had the experience I did and I know I put 200% into working there and lost my social life and sleep. I would definitely NOT do it again.

June 13, 2020SVP, Human Resource

Yes, we all know who you are. Your comments about the numerous opportunities for people to grow a career and gain valuable experience at FSNS is spot on. We work hard to offer great opportunities to great people from all backgrounds and experience levels. You have obviously taken a great deal of time to think about what you wanted to say, though I wish you would have taken the same time and thought to give this feedback through our Open Door Policy – not just limited to your LM, but also your Regional Lab Manager, VP of Microbiology Operations, myself or even our CEO. For whatever reason you decided social media was the answer. I want you to know, I have already begun the communications with these individuals on your behalf and will work to look into and address your concerns point by point. Our goal with an Open Door policy is to investigate and assist with your concerns, work to mutually resolve them and establish a go-forward plan. While you have presented a lot of information, you have left out a number of other important points both regarding your other concerns, our performance concerns and a large number of positive aspects and experiences you have had with FSNS. Transparency is important in our business – for our employees and our customers. Our employees are at the cornerstone of all we do. As you move forward in your new role, you will find that that same transparency is expected and needed at your new company too - I hope you will consider having productive dialogue with your managers and other leaders vs the use of social media. In-person, transparent discussions are how positive change happens. Thanks again. I wish you the very best on your new opportunity. I would be happy to talk with you further – the door is open. Bob Cox, SVP, HR

"Great place for experience"

4.0

I worked at Food Safety Net Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Company to work for to get experience. You can gain a lot of insight and experience with the multiple things needed to run a lab. Including the variety of test required to perform based on client needs. FSNS is very professional and I would recommend them.

Cons

Prepare to work a lot, overtime is a killer.

June 26, 2020SVP, Human Resource

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We work hard to create a culture where our employees are happy, engaged, challenged, and growing. While I wish you the very best on your new opportunity, I also hope you will continue to consider us on your career journey as a future employer or even a customer. All the best to you and thanks again! Bob Cox, SVP, HR.

"Review"

Current Employee - Main Lab Lead in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Food Safety Net Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a busy work environment.

Cons

You don't get paid well.

June 23, 2020SVP, Human Resource

Please work with me or your manager and let's discuss. Thank you. Bob Cox, SVP HR

8. COVID-19

"People don't quit jobs, the quit managers - critically understaffed"

Current Employee - Microbiology Technician in Hell, MI

I have been working at Food Safety Net Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cool people to work with usually. Gain experience while in school. The proactive response to COVID (masks, sanitation) The few interactions and questions I have had with corporate (HR, accounting) have been pleasant. *For all my negative thoughts on the company I'll include below, I would still take the job if I could go back in time. Just don't get too comfy as its toxic AF at the top...

Cons

When I started at FSNS months ago I thought all the negative reviews I've seen online were waaaay blown out of proportion. I chalked it up to people having unreasonable expectations of their first job out of college or bad management at the local level. I have since gotten to the point that I would believe without hesitation any negative things said about FSNS. Throughout my tenure, the lab has ranged from understaffed to severely understaffed. My location has lost many techs with no hopes of replacing them. If I had a fever and cough I would still go to work because no one could cover for me and anyone that would cover for me would get overtime and be retaliated against. It's THAT bad Mr. Cox. I ain't yankin' no ones chain. This place was horribly understaffed before COVID. It was near impossible to get anyone to stay. People that did stay as a general rule didn't get the pay, hours, pay raises or work schedule promised. If you take the job don't just take things told to you with a grain of salt, assume it's a lie. Now they are cutting staffing to ridiculous levels. People are working through breaks, people are working offf the clock, and I have heard people discuss altering time clocks to avoid overtime. All this because of the crazy pressure from corporate to save $$$ at all costs. I have met visiting techs from other labs and can say with confidence that these are not isolated practices, that they occured pre-COVID, and have only gotten worse.

July 17, 2020SVP, Human Resource

Thank you for taking the time to write a very detailed account of your concerns. Having these details will certainly help me to address the issues, but at the same time you have left a lot of pertinent information out. Please note that there really is a “Hell, Michigan,” and yes I have actually been there – so, for context, a) our lab is not located in Hell, Michigan, b) I am unsure if you are actually referring to our Michigan laboratory or c) if you are really a current employee in our Michigan lab or another of our labs or departments(?) This information will be necessary for me to properly address all that you have shared – though in the meantime I have shared your post and my response with the VP of Microbiology Operations and the Regional Director. The best course is for you to give me a call to get me some needed detail so that I can properly look into the issues. If you are not comfortable calling me, send me an email, follow the open door policy and/or our contact our confidential email/hotline – which is only responded to by me or the CEO. As you go forward at FSNS or your career in general, social media is not the right avenue to fix concerns. Let me first start with the title of your post: “People don’t quit jobs, they quit Managers” – I completely agree with this statement – with this said, I really need to know who the manager is. I agree also with your comment about us being a company with “cool people”, great job experiences, a company who cares about its people (yes, we have done a lot to keep our people safe during COVID-19 and will continue to do so), a corporate support staff who are dedicated to serve our internal (and external) customers, etc. My goal here is to help you and others. This is not a toxic environment. COVID-19 has definitely affected how we do business – it has also affected our clients/customers businesses and most worldwide businesses. Yes, there was a point where we needed to put a hold all hiring, furlough or lay off some employees, take pay cuts, reduce hours/change schedules, carefully monitor overtime, and just all around be more efficient. Could all of this have tightened our staffing? Sure. However, in the past month or so we have ramped up our hiring again – necessary because most of our customers businesses are back at or near pre-COVID levels. Yes, we are hiring lots of people. I don’t believe you are “yankin my chain.” In fact, I wish the communication on what has happened to our business during COVID-19 and why we needed to make some changes quickly were more transparent to you. I am guessing based on what you have said, this has not been the case. Our business has been deeply affected by COVID-19 – the situation continues to be fluid and I believe there is a “new normal” every business is trying to find. NO ONE is allowed to adjust time and hopefully not need to work through their break, etc. However, do we need to be more efficient with our scheduling and control overtime? – of course – most of the businesses I am aware of are having to look at all expenses, to include staffing, travel, supplies, etc. FSNS offers so many growth and career opportunities – we announce promotions almost every day and also list them in our quarterly newsletters. Add in the ability to relocate and the sky is the limit to build a career here. We have not cut our monthly employee engagement budget, though like everything else we have asked that everyone be efficient. We actually added a Best Idea Contest during COVID-19. We have assembled and sent out suggested events on a yearly calendar multiple times. We have a Stay Interview program up and running and are working on an employee survey with the VP of Microbiological Operations that is being considered. I do hope you reach to me directly out so that we can address your concerns. Thank you! Bob Cox, SVP, HR.

"Long hours, low pay, no life-work balance"

I worked at Food Safety Net Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Resume builder, helps you with your next job

Cons

Management doesn’t know what they are doing. You will be working very long hours, with a rotating schedule and not getting paid enough.

July 11, 2020SVP, Human Resource

Your feedback is very important. Our employees and our customers are at the center of all we do. For a number of our lab locations our customers operate 24/7 and with that, expect us to operate similar schedules to fulfil their testing needs and keep food safe. At FSNS, we continue to train and develop our managers into strong leaders and will continue to create a culture where our employees are happy, engaged, valued and appreciated. While it is great that you feel your resume is now better because of your experience here, it is unfortunate that you didn’t engage in the proper dialogue with your manager to build a career here. There are endless opportunities to advance a career at FSNS. In our last newsletter we featured a number of individuals who have done just that. You may contact me directly to discuss any other details surrounding your concerns. I wish you the very best on your new job. Thank you. Bob Cox, SVP HR.

"Overworked and Underpay"

Current Employee - Lab Technician

I have been working at Food Safety Net Services full-time

Pros

You can learn different Instrumentation and testing.

Cons

Everything. No AC. Work long hours. Pay is terrible for people with degrees.

July 9, 2020SVP, Human Resource

I am not aware of any of our labs that do not have AC. I would appreciate a phone call or email, please. We can get this corrected quickly. You have every opportunity to move up in position and pay here. Financial rewards come with hard work, training and accepting promotional opportunities – we announce promotions of talented employees almost daily. Please take the time to sit down with your manager and discuss your training needs and career aspirations. There are numerous opportunities here. Thank you. Bob Cox, SVP, HR

Found 237 reviews