Foodland Super Market Reviews | Glassdoor

Jenai S. Wall

1. "Dedicated Associate"

Current Employee - Director in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Director in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Foodland Super Market full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family owned business with a commitment to the people of Hawaii

Cons

It's not what you know or what you do, it's who you know.

Advice to Management

Actual operational experience is priceless and a major contributor to success.

2. "Manager"

I worked at Foodland Super Market full-time

Pros

Flexibility, good management, relatively stress free work environment. I enjoyed my time working with the Minyard, Sack N Save, and Carnival company.

Cons

Lack of benefits, high turnover on entry level positions such as cashiers and stockers. Company has sold a couple times and many of the locations have closed or changed ownership.

3. "I have 25t years experience in Retail and Customer Service, and Mgr. Experience as well"

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at Foodland Super Market part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working with the public, and it was a busy business witch I enjoyed.

Cons

I really had no problems with the job.

Advice to Management

Be more aware of the employees, and don't get caught up in gossip, and if there is a problem handle it in the most professional way, Humble and Kind.

5. "service deli clerk"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Püpükea, HI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Püpükea, HI

I worked at Foodland Super Market part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits various departments it's union

Cons

attendance and tardy policy is unfair

"Great place to work, with a real family feel"

Former Employee - Various in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Various in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Foodland Super Market part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees become part of a family at Foodland. There is a sense of responsibility since it is "your" store, and a pride of ownership.

Cons

Part-time is part time - no question. Union has too much power, and will not assist part-timers despite taking money out of your paycheck (closed shop).

7. "Office Clerk"

I worked at Foodland Super Market full-time

Pros

They pay is excellent. Management in Waimea location is great. Co-workers are amazing. FUN PLACE TO WORK

Cons

Main office doesn't reply back to employee in a timely manner

8. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Laie, HI
    Current Employee - Cashier in Laie, HI

I have been working at Foodland Super Market part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can move up in the company fairly easy just you need to have a pretty good attendance to do so.

Cons

They're really strict with your attendance.

9. "If You Can Tolerate It."

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Kaneohe, HI
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Kaneohe, HI

I worked at Foodland Super Market part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A supermarket is a large social environment where you will see old friends and make new ones. Prepare to be happy and friendly. As a grocery clerk, you will mostly be working on tasks by yourself on our own time, which gives you a lot of freedom and independence. Responsibilities are to keep items on the shelves at all times, breaking delivery loads down and checking them in, and strategically displaying sale items. Completing tasks will leave you with a feeling of self-accomplishment. The company is union so there are great benefits including a pay raise every year and a paid day off on your birthday. Shifts will go by fast due to the fast paced environment. Lifting and carrying items can be a great exercise too. On those hot days, working in the chill can be very refreshing. There are always some fun characters shopping there, or even working there, so you can always get a good laugh in as well.

Cons

There are issues with the management at the stores. When the front end gets busy, you are assigned as a back-up cashier, which will make you fall behind on your own tasks. Although the store closes at midnight, grocery clerks will have overnight shifts. The shifts may be peaceful but it will be hard to find sleep, especially since your schedule will not be entirely night shifts. There are times when I would finish working at 6 A.M. and I would have to come in at 4 P.M. on the same day (our shifts are required to have 10 hour breaks between them and they are not ashamed to only give you those 10 hours). Since everyone has a loose independent agenda, things will sometimes go unfinished. Some coworkers tend to always leave something undone for someone else to finish. Cleaning up after everyone can be annoying. Finally, be prepared to miss out on life. When everyone else is enjoying holidays, you will actually be working harder since the store will be busier. The only day that the store is entirely closed is Christmas day. If you have no friends or family (or if you hate them), this could actually be a good thing.

Advice to Management

First, there has to be a better way to train ALL employees. Some guys are great workers but don't know enough about what they are doing. Also, treat everyone equally. Every worker, good or bad, has an important role in the company and should be treated that way. Finally, let the employees know that their efforts are being appreciated. It really makes a difference.

"curtesy clerk , Backup cashier , liquor etc"

I worked at Foodland Super Market part-time

Pros

Very helpful & friendly to customers and there store is organized and they treat every customer and Employee equally in a Fair way just like family I guess.

Cons

there is nothing bad to say about Foodland

Advice to Management

Don't change anything you are doing an awesome job on Managing the store your the best there is I should know I use to be an employee. So good job to the manager of foodland in kihei.

11. "Awesome!"

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Foodland Super Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Totally a great place to work

Cons

Sometimes customers are a bit too demanding