Footsmart Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alan Beychok

Pros
  • Call center director was great and really cared about the staff (in 5 reviews)

• Great place to work because they have the best director Kenny Butler (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • They had no minority representation and very condescending to the call center staff (in 9 reviews)

1. "Customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Footsmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome management team and employees

Cons

Needed more room cubicles were to close together

Advice to Management

Keep up the good job!

2. "Terrible Merger/Buyout"

Former Employee - Customer Care Manager Supervisor in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Manager Supervisor in Duluth, GA

I worked at Footsmart (More than 3 years)

Pros

Call center director was great and really cared about the staff. Quite unusual in this type of industry and he put a compassionate culture in the center. Benefits were pretty good as well...

Cons

The owner or former owner had terrible interpersonal skill. Communication was extremely bad and after the company was sold/bought, there was no announcement to employees as to their continued employment. The new owners were 10 times worse. They had no minority representation and very condescending to the call center staff.

Advice to Management

Corporate management should understand that the call center is the face and voice of the company. A little respect for the individuals who have to deal with marketing, website and I.T errors would go a long way in fostering what could be considered a team.

"Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at Footsmart (More than a year)

Pros

This job is a team oriented atmosphere. Upper level management has an open door policy.

Cons

Shifts could change with little notice.

Advice to Management

Have humun resources more available.

"Should have believed the rumors"

Pros

Great co-workers, decent to good pay

Cons

Lies, inept management, ever-increasing workload

"Alan is a JERK - he deserved to lose his business!"

Current Employee - Corporate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Footsmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Meeting life long friends - nothing else from that place.

Cons

Alan Beychok is a coward. He sold the company because he solely had it go belly up over the last couple years. He has now made tons of people unemployed and possibly lose their livelihood because of his egotistical, bipolar, crazy, selfishness, compassionless and I could keep going on. Which was his last day, not known to all of the employees, he didn't even have the common courtesy to say goodbye, thank you, see you, sorry....nothing. Again. COWARD.
    I am sicken at the thought if he made any money with selling this place. Now we are without jobs. Thanks a million loser.

7. "Customer Call Center"

Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great place to work because they have the best director Kenny Butler. You do have to meet a call format when handling customer calls but they try to make it by playing games. Catered lunch every other week. Supervisors help with difficult customers.

Cons

Some customers are mad and try your patience because their order has gone wrong somehow.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work making call center a pleasant place to work.

8. "customer service call center"

I worked at Footsmart full-time

Pros

This company offered great benefits and advancement opportunities. The management was concerned with team building and coaching. overall this company had a good work environment.

Cons

I really can't think of any I would still be there if it wasn't so far from where I live.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

"Benchmark"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Footsmart full-time

Pros

Great coo workers, friendly environment

Cons

No growth potential, outrageous goals, unprofessional. Very low salary

Advice to Management

To much favoritism,

10. "company needs to stop trying to be like other companies"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Footsmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits is still pretty good

Cons

Pay is not good, management needs help, company doesn't have any identity

Advice to Management

Stop changing things every month

"Avoid. Avoid. Avoid."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Footsmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In my years with FootSmart, aka Benchmark Brands, I worked with some wonderful, smart, fun people and gained some great ecomm experience. The plus to continuous turnover, is meeting new people, learning new things, and networking. Compensation is better than average, however the benefits package is costlier than companies of similar size.

Cons

Let me first say, I resigned a while ago and wanted some time to process my experience with FootSmart/Benchmark Brands. This is not written in spite, or out of emotion. This is a sincere assessment.

The biggest challenge to this company is the owner. I have respect for him for building a successful business, however, unlike smart entrepreneurs, he can't get out of the way, and the business will eventually fail because of him. Of course he will blame everyone but himself for this. When he does manage to find competent management (mostly recruited from out of town, as the reputation is widely know, and many local recruiters refuse to work with him), they expect to come in and make changes, as anyone with 20-30 years of experience would expect. Some know the reputation, and proudly say "I'll make some changes". Sometime in the first 30-90 days, you'll see it... the 1000 yard stare on the faces of these individuals, many of whom have left better jobs, uprooted their families, and realize that the company is run by a maniac. Some fight it, some move on. Eventually most are gone one way or another.

The management that does stay beyond the typical 3-6 months, or has been promoted from within has their own flaws. Some are utterly under-qualified and know nothing of the actual role. The FootSmart environment is one of fear and intimidation, and in some cases retaliation. On a number of occasions, I have seen experienced professionals chastised, berated and treated horribly - driven to tears in meetings.

The business is in trouble for a number of reasons beyond the owner's management style. 1. Customers are price shopping more than ever - Top brands like Easy Spirit, Merrell, Hush Puppies and Clarks are available everywhere - for cheaper. FootSmart is too small to compete with Zappos and Online Shoes, yet as of this year, the business strategy is to play the price war with range pricing, and markdowns. Anyone with any business sense knows this is a losing battle. 2. Horrible inventory management. Countless best selling items are often out of stock, and many won't get restocked. 3. The shipping process is horrific due to inconsistent contact with the customer, lack of tracking, terrible packaging (though drop ship items are properly packed from the manufacturer). Even as an employee, it would take up to 3 weeks to get an order, and sometimes, when I'd ask where my missing order was i'd get "oh yeah, we are out of those shoes". 4. The owner will tout the proprietary product as a business strategy which makes sense, however, some of the well thought out designs (thanks to a talented product dev group) are doomed due to terrible quality out of China, and damage due to poor shipping practices. 5. As of Nov, 2014, 77% turnover at corporate and 120% turnover in the HR (they call it Talent Asset Management). I have personally seen over 100 people resign or get fired in the last 20 months. Keep in mind this is a company of about 140 corporate staff.

As for tools to effectively do my job - I had my hands tied. 1. We always had to do more with less. Not a lot of backfill happening, and adding headcount was out of the question. Our typical workload included a number of things that really should have fallen under another departments tasks. 2. My equipment was satisfactory, however, years behind on the software, requiring a learning curve when the time came to move on to another job. 3. Training. That was requested by me and the people I managed, and never were we allowed to have so much as an online resource, let alone attending more formal seminars and conventions.

I stuck it out longer than I should have. I have thick skin, like many of my coworkers and had hopes we might get bought, or at least gain some positive direction from a competent board of directors. I urge anyone thinking about joining FootSmart/Benchmark Brands to read the reviews here and seriously consider other options.

Advice to Management

I wish you would have sold the company a few years ago. Under the right leadership, the possibilities would likely be a bit brighter than they are today.