Ford Motor Company Reviews in Dearborn, MI | Glassdoor

Ford Motor Company Dearborn Reviews

Updated September 21, 2017

Dearborn, MI

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • brilliant work life balance; lots of opportunities to grow (in 306 reviews)

• good pay and benefits laid back (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • less work/life balance, less career opportunities (in 69 reviews)

• long hours and dealing with the union (in 105 reviews)

1. "Interview"

Current Employee - Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Thorough process of hiring individual via Phone Interview, Online Test and then group interview if called.

Cons

Some time Interview questions has nothing to do with the related job

Advice to Management

Salary and Bonus are well below market. Hard to find talent

2. "Product Planning Analyst"

Current Employee - Product Planning in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Product Planning in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits. Great company heritage and good towards families.

Cons

Lack of empowerment. Too many management layers.

Advice to Management

Delayer the company to allow decisions to flow faster. Ridiculous to have as many layers as there are presently in the company.

"An Evolving Company with a Positive Outlook"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a great feeling to see your ideas and work come alive on the pavement. I had originally stayed away from OEMs because I didn't feel that they had embraced technology fully enough, but I believe that Ford is making strides to become a technology company in-step with its manufacturing past. Ford has an extremely positive outlook and will continue to become less susceptible to cyclical automotive changes as a mobility company. I am extremely excited for what the future is bringing.

Cons

The vacation policy is really bad when compared to everyone else, and there's no flex time. Come on Ford, it's 2017! We're also forced to use our vacation over the July 4th week - how is that modern thinking?!?!

Additionally, everything is done by the book which I believe to be a negative thing. Although there is a conscious effort to change this mentality and to become more agile, there is still a 'Day 2' mentality among many of the veterans as very few of them are thinking outside of the box, This is probably because very few employees have been exposed to many (or any) other work environments. Good thing? Bad thing? It's a double-edged sword - people don't leave because Ford is a great place to be, but it also creates a closed system where ideas can't freely circulate.

Lastly, I firmly believe that Ford can become more effective if there was not a fear of business tools. Yes, information is highly sensitive and we don't want information leaks, but Ford seems to hide from new and innovative approaches to managing data and encouraging efficiency. Leadership should push new initiatives for improving business efficiency.

Advice to Management

I have been at a few very successful and innovative companies, so I have two pieces of advice to provide to management.

1) Take more active roles in the company's culture. I see a lot of PowerPoint discussion about culture but I see nothing when it comes to leaders standing up and enforcing cultural changes. Managers exist to 'manage people', and a part of that management is how people interact with each other. It is also up to the management to inspire new ways of thinking and to inspire a fun and engaging atmosphere. 'Day 2' thinking will not disappear because a PowerPoint presentation says so, or because 'one' leader mentioned it. It is up to all of our leaders to instill a sense of energy and forward thinking among the employees.

2) Investigate the processes within your organization and search for inefficiencies. Leaders have the high-level understanding of how their groups interact internally and externally, and it is up to the leaders to provide the most efficient working conditions. Instead, I see a lot of busy managers that mind their own business.

I think that either Mark Fields or Bill Ford need to take a stand on company culture and encourage the company leadership to be 'leaders'. Silicon Valley companies are highly valued places to work because their management does more than manage work.

4. "Great place to work"

Current Contractor - PD Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Contractor - PD Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

SMART people all around, lax work environment (can show up between 6-9am, take lunch whenever). All that really matters is that you get your work done.

Cons

Can be very stressful at times. Workload varies tremendously from person to person. One guy takes naps and the next guy is drowning in work, stress, and deadlines.

5. "It's great to work at Ford"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The culture is very professional, respectful and rewarding.

Cons

as in any big company, things move through the system slowly.

6. "Marketing Manager"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of different jobs available to build your skills; they move people around a lot; good benefits.

Cons

Big, bureaucratic, men seem to do better there than women

Advice to Management

Recruit and advance women more. Try and make less bureaucratic

7. "Great company, no flexibility"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Dearborn, MI
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, products for customers

Cons

Overworked, underappreciated & no individual development for contract employees

Advice to Management

Solve the headcount mess & relive overworked employees. Engage in individual development for all employees

8. "STA"

Former Contractor - STA in Dearborn, MI
    Former Contractor - STA in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Ford Motor Company as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great stuff to learn, help develop your career for your next job

Cons

upper management is weak s

Advice to Management

non

9. "Supplier Technical Assistance"

Current Employee - Supplier Technical Assistance in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Supplier Technical Assistance in Dearborn, MI

Pros

overall good working environment

Cons

business processes are not always streamlined

Advice to Management

review, coordinate and streamline business processes

10. "FCG Program has its flaws"

Current Employee - Ford College Graduate in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Ford College Graduate in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The FCG program allows rotations through several departments to sample each one. However, the experience quality and structure can vary drastically. My experiences have varied from good to terrible.

Cons

Inside the FCG rotations managment and mentoring has varied widely. I have been essentially ignored for the duration of rotations. On other rotations there has been decent management to assign tasks and direct efforts. Overall pretty bad experience in the program.

Advice to Management

The people that work in the rotation departments usually have multiple years of experience. The FCG's that come in don't know anything about anything. What is second nature to 99% of the work force is completely new to most FCG's. Managment needs to take a step back an look at the broad view of their work and introduce them at that level. This will create a sound foundation for work in the future. Currently the methodology for FCG work is to immediately stuff them down a technical rabbit hole where they might have a glimmer of knowledge or ignore there existence.

Showing 742 of 2,547 reviews