Ford Motor Company Reviews in Detroit, MI | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ford Motor Company President & CEO Mark Fields
Mark Fields

Pros
  • brilliant work life balance; lots of opportunities to grow (in 272 reviews)

• Good environment fast pase work great pay and benefits union (in 59 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Ford Motor Company is a Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Diverse, Educational, Developmental, Forward Thinking, Great Communications across the Enterprise,Good Salary and Benefits, Work Life Balance.
    The Company is moving in the right direction, at the right time, for automotive manufacturing in the United States and globally. Great people to work with, engaging and a friendly culture

Cons

Size can negatively impact quick successes, can be a cyclical business

Advice to Management

Be sure to have the right people in the right leadership roles to ensure employee satisfaction and engagement.

2. "Operator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

Pros

Good benefits. Work/life balance can be a problem. Work can be physically exhausting. I would recommend the job to anyone.

Cons

Like I stated, the work / life balance could be better. It can be very hot in the summer months.

Advice to Management

Appreciate workers more. Cultivate working relationships. In turn, you may get a better result.

3. "Good landing place for fresh-graduates"

Current Contractor - Program Management Analyst in Dearborn, MI
    Current Contractor - Program Management Analyst in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

1. Equal to and above industry salary level in State wide;
    2. Over 90% of your co-worker is knowledgable and supportive;
    3. Flexible working schedule (telecomute option available)

Cons

Lengthy approval process on funding approval, job approval; Yearly hiring freeze put on extra workload on current employee. Slow in revolution on previous process.

5. "Finance Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good amount of time off. Decent benefits. Flexible Hours.

Cons

Too many levels of management. To much micro-managing of professional level employees. Process management is not their strong point.

Advice to Management

Define processes company-wide and follow up by training and requiring buy in from all areas.

6. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great values, people, and benefits

Cons

Very traditional hierarchy, difficult to feel like your having an impact on the bottom line

Advice to Management

Great wisdom within upper management. Have fewer layers of management to encourage more autonomy, impact, and ownership

7. "Interview"

Current Employee - Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Thorough process of hiring individual via Phone Interview, Online Test and then group interview if called.

Cons

Some time Interview questions has nothing to do with the related job

Advice to Management

Salary and Bonus are well below market. Hard to find talent

8. "Great first experience as an automotive engineer"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was with Ford for five years learned everything I know about automotive design. Couldn't ask for a better first job out of college. Of course some roles involved politics but what job doesn't.

Cons

Politics, occasional long hours, minimal recognition in certain organizations.

9. "Great place to work"

Current Contractor - PD Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Contractor - PD Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

SMART people all around, lax work environment (can show up between 6-9am, take lunch whenever). All that really matters is that you get your work done.

Cons

Can be very stressful at times. Workload varies tremendously from person to person. One guy takes naps and the next guy is drowning in work, stress, and deadlines.

10. "An Evolving Company with a Positive Outlook"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a great feeling to see your ideas and work come alive on the pavement. I had originally stayed away from OEMs because I didn't feel that they had embraced technology fully enough, but I believe that Ford is making strides to become a technology company in-step with its manufacturing past. Ford has an extremely positive outlook and will continue to become less susceptible to cyclical automotive changes as a mobility company. I am extremely excited for what the future is bringing.

Cons

The vacation policy is really bad when compared to everyone else, and there's no flex time. Come on Ford, it's 2017! We're also forced to use our vacation over the July 4th week - how is that modern thinking?!?!

Additionally, everything is done by the book which I believe to be a negative thing. Although there is a conscious effort to change this mentality and to become more agile, there is still a 'Day 2' mentality among many of the veterans as very few of them are thinking outside of the box, This is probably because very few employees have been exposed to many (or any) other work environments. Good thing? Bad thing? It's a double-edged sword - people don't leave because Ford is a great place to be, but it also creates a closed system where ideas can't freely circulate.

Lastly, I firmly believe that Ford can become more effective if there was not a fear of business tools. Yes, information is highly sensitive and we don't want information leaks, but Ford seems to hide from new and innovative approaches to managing data and encouraging efficiency. Leadership should push new initiatives for improving business efficiency.

Advice to Management

I have been at a few very successful and innovative companies, so I have two pieces of advice to provide to management.

1) Take more active roles in the company's culture. I see a lot of PowerPoint discussion about culture but I see nothing when it comes to leaders standing up and enforcing cultural changes. Managers exist to 'manage people', and a part of that management is how people interact with each other. It is also up to the management to inspire new ways of thinking and to inspire a fun and engaging atmosphere. 'Day 2' thinking will not disappear because a PowerPoint presentation says so, or because 'one' leader mentioned it. It is up to all of our leaders to instill a sense of energy and forward thinking among the employees.

2) Investigate the processes within your organization and search for inefficiencies. Leaders have the high-level understanding of how their groups interact internally and externally, and it is up to the leaders to provide the most efficient working conditions. Instead, I see a lot of busy managers that mind their own business.

I think that either Mark Fields or Bill Ford need to take a stand on company culture and encourage the company leadership to be 'leaders'. Silicon Valley companies are highly valued places to work because their management does more than manage work.

11. "It's great to work at Ford"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The culture is very professional, respectful and rewarding.

Cons

as in any big company, things move through the system slowly.

Showing 882 of 2,328 reviews