Ford Motor Company Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Ford Motor Company President and CEO Jim Hackett
Jim Hackett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • brilliant work life balance; lots of opportunities to grow (in 299 reviews)

• good pay and benefits laid back (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • less work/life balance, less career opportunities (in 66 reviews)

• long hours and dealing with the union (in 104 reviews)

1. "Enterprise Architect"

Current Contractor - Enterprise Architect in Burton, MI
    Current Contractor - Enterprise Architect in Burton, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, diverse environment, access to all levels of company.

Cons

Tiny work area with NO privacy (everyone hears everyone else) called collaborative environment! Contracting pay is some of the lowest in industry.

Advice to Management

CAN the collaborative environment!

"Awful management. Not a place for innovative motivated employees"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Allen Park Post Office, MI
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Allen Park Post Office, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you have no motivation and want to have life time employment then Ford is perfect for you. Just drive a Ford, don't make waves and be pleasant and you are set.
    There are a few pockets of sanity in IT

Cons

Bureaucracy prevents work. Leadership routinely backstab each other. Leadership promotes and encourages BossHole behavior while simultaneously trying to tell low level employees to change the Ford Culture from bottom up. Managers refuse to allow talented employees to switch jobs, instead they burn em up and then throw em out. Most talented employees quit, leaving the dregs.
    Much of IT is offshored to India. Poor pay. Once you are hired your annual raises will never keep up with inflation.

Advice to Management

Weed out the BossHoles. Recognize that the jerks always running their mouths contribute little.

3. "Auto Detailor"

Current Employee - Auto Detailer in Coatesville, PA
    Current Employee - Auto Detailer in Coatesville, PA

I have been working at Ford Motor Company part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work outside but not in the direct weather in a garage shop

Cons

Everyone expects you to be able to fix anything and everything that's wrong with the way the car looks. Most salesmen treat you like the dirt on the bottom of their shoe

"Pays Good, But Boring"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer/Applications Developer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer/Applications Developer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, pays good, there is a plenty of room to climb up the corporate ladder(if you are into that).

Cons

Boring, office politics, most people do not seem to be doing much there, job descriptions are often filled with corporate slang and buzzword that make it nearly impossible to determine what you will actually be doing in a role, jobs are hit or miss, you have to set corporate goals that often mean nothing outside of the company, there is a performance rating system based off of the corporate goals and there are only a limited number of spots for top achievers (your rating determines bonus, raise, and promotion eligibility), The rating system did not screw me over or anything, I just hate the idea that it incentives inner office politics.

Advice to Management

Ditch the corporate goals and rating system, it forces people to plan for careers they sometimes don't want, and the rating system incentives inner office politics. Put in place some kind of standard, flat line, bonus/raise system please.

5. "My experience."

I worked at Ford Motor Company full-time

Pros

The money was OK.

Cons

They worked you like a robot.

6. "Nasty Management"

Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Dearborn, MI
    Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Ford Motor Company as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good experience for a college grad. Products are good.

Cons

I was expected to work around the clock (I interacted with different regions). I worked massive amounts of overtime. Been in more meetings than I can count where someone was screamed at (not exaggerating). Management would blame their employees if something went wrong to upper management. Horrible culture. I left Ford the second I got a job offer from GM.

Advice to Management

RESPECT YOUR EMPLOYEES.

7. "Safety Engineer"

Pros

If you're a manager you get a management lease, other than that nothing really.

Cons

Many unethical decisions by management.

Advice to Management

Listen to the little minions, they have the most insight.

8. "Average with some odd mid level managers"

Former Contractor - IT Analyst in Allen Park, MI
    Former Contractor - IT Analyst in Allen Park, MI

I worked at Ford Motor Company as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

It's a fairly low stress environment. The sense of urgency really isn't there, so you're not going to get pushed to perform if you come from a high stress environment.

Cons

Relative to the managers, it was hit or miss. At first, I had a really solid one who was leadership material, eventually I ended up with one that qualifies as the worst manager ever. It's notable that Ford wants to be employee friendly even for those who have health or family issues, however if the employee or manager has real issues due to side effects from their medication. Somebody needs to be asking these questions as I left to get away from a really bad manager. In my career, I have never worked for a manager that had a photo of the actual kidney he had replaced sitting on his desk. No photo of his family, just a photo of a bloody kidney...

Advice to Management

Just because you grant a long term employee an "L" level, it does not make them untouchable. I worked for a guy who came back from an organ replacement and was on some serious medication. I wonder if anyone in HR bothered to note the side effects of medication this manager was on which is known for strong mood swings. Having complained about some really bad treatment, I was noted as the problem. I decided to get the heck out of Ford the day we had one of those active shooter drills and at the end, the manager on the medication I noted came up to me and said not to worry about anything as he showed me his State of Michigan Concealed Weapons Permit and his implying that he was carry a firearm. There are enough IT jobs out there that I didn't need to work for a nut case....

"Process coach"

Current Employee - Final Maintenance Process Coach in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Final Maintenance Process Coach in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is good, benefits are great

Cons

To much B.S. FOR ALL Management

Advice to Management

Treat Process coaches with respect. My senior process coach is always harassing Me and the union People. They need to get some one That has skilled trades background on their management team. They keep putting People there that has no experience in this area. That is why they have so much down time.

10. "Tread lightly..."

Former Contractor - Production Supervisor in Louisville, KY
    Former Contractor - Production Supervisor in Louisville, KY

I worked at Ford Motor Company as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, benefits, long weekend, etc.

Cons

Long work hours, lack of mentorship, culture, chaotic work environment.

Advice to Management

I worked for FMC for a year as a contract Production Supervisor. While the pay and benefits are great, the cut throat/toxic culture that is embedded within management degrades this companies ability to retain supervisors. Get in with the good ol' boys, but always keep your head on a swivel. No one is safe from blame when things don't go as planned and no one gets ahead there without cutting some throats on the way up.

Showing 196 of 2,477 reviews