Ford Motor Company Senior Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ford Motor Company President & CEO Mark Fields
Mark Fields

Pros
Cons
  • Lots of programs to support work / life balance but expect to work hard (in 60 reviews)

• Long hours much stress tight shcedules (in 95 reviews)

1. "Great Company, amazing culture!"

Current Employee - Senior IT Security & Systems Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Senior IT Security & Systems Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment, lots of room for growth!

Cons

Traditional work place, limited work from home opportunity.

2. "Ford Blue!"

Current Contractor - Senior D&R Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Contractor - Senior D&R Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stability, diverse work environment, challenging, close to home.

Cons

Corporate bureaucracy, cubicles, lack of window, lack of parking.

Advice to Management

Open communication is always a great idea.

3. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is stable and with a strong product portfolio.

Cons

HR is there to protect the company and not help employees, managers, or directors. Unless you have VP in your title you do not want to engage HR. Know that when they say all email and internet activity is monitored they mean it!

Advice to Management

Show more value to you senior employees

5. "Manufacturing Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefit. You will learn manufacturing business from top to bottom every aspect of it quickly. Working with talented workforce, off course there will be few bad apples in a bunch

Cons

Lack of promotional opportunity. Promotion is only for select few. No clear advancement plan with clear objective to achieve. Rating is set, almost everyone will get achiever with only ~10% for top achiever. On another hand, work load is not equally distributed, some people will have heavy workload causing stress and problem with work life balance. Hence, you can deliver a lot but compensated equally the same with other who deliver less. Travel is heavy, can stay away up to 24 months.

Advice to Management

For manufacturing mgr : be fair to your employee, give them an equal chance to advance.

6. "Senior Systems Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is open to experiment and to learn from mistakes

Cons

Once you are part of a functional team is difficult to move

"Great company"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very large stable company, paid over time, good benefits, great group of people to work with/for.

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement, raises were few and far between, the automotive industry is long past the old glory days

Advice to Management

Find a way to hold union employees accountable and leverage their talents and experience to strengthen the company...stop letting them hold you hostage...

8. "FMCO"

Former Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pays very well and good benefits

Cons

Expect long hours for the good pay, Very high pressure in assembly plant manager positions

Advice to Management

Learn to balance work and personal life

9. "Good Company, great to learn"

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to learn, lot's of things to do, increase responsibility with experience

Cons

salary does not increase as much as you gain experience.

10. "Ford review"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Dearborn, MI

Pros

A feeling of accomplishment. A feeling of improvement. A sense of pride.

Cons

The IT is lacking. The computers and cell phones are tremendously out of date. It is difficult to get them updated.

Advice to Management

Improve the IT -- but other than that -- I am excited about the future at Ford.

"Ford Motor Company is a fantastic place to work if management manages and engineers engineer."

Current Employee - Senior Engineer/6-Sigma Master Black Belt in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer/6-Sigma Master Black Belt in Dearborn, MI

Pros

The automobile industry is a very dynamic environment to work in and has continuous challenges. The design and development of automobiles is one of the most complicated engineering tasks in the world. There are more than 20,000 parts that have to come together to build a vehicle. The level of coordination needed to do this successfully is incredible. Outsiders take it for granted how complex and reliable the vehicles are that are manufactured today. All car companies have increased vehicle quality and reliability to levels that were unheard of just 10 years ago. Because of these challenges Ford is a great place to work if you want to constantly be challenged to perform at a high level under very tight schedules. Never let it be said that the car industry is boring because if you get involved you will constantly be working to engineer the next great product.

Cons

The biggest downside is the lack of vision towards the future. Working in the engineering community, I spend most my time just trying to keep up with the new product cycles and launch schedules. I have very little input/time to think of the future and how I can improve Ford. The engineering decisions are made at higher levels than me and I have very little say as to the direction taken.
    Another downside is the lack of respect given to the engineering community from the management at Ford. It is often forgotten how tough this type of work can be and the sacrifices we make to get products delivered on time and within budget. An engineer is no longer just an engineer, we are cost analysts, sales, testing and engineering rolled up into one.

Advice to Management

One big thing stands out to me. Ford is a top heavy company with too many chiefs and not enough workers. We have managers for managers. Every time I turn around there is another layer of management to meet with to get my job done. If I could change one thing I would reduce the numbers of management starting at the top by cutting 50%. Then every level down I would cut 5% less than the previous level. This would not only streamline processes (reduce the crazy meetings for approvals) but would reduce our pay structure by millions. I guess I would also consider getting the salaries in more of a linear growth trend as opposed to the current exponential growth pattern seen today.