Foremost Farms Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Michael Doyle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "This Company's Values Match Mine"

I have been working at Foremost Farms full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As someone who has been a Foremost Farms employee for over 20 years, I am proud of what we've accomplished and what we stand for -- honesty, integrity, continuously improving. We exist to produce and market our farmers' milk into dairy products desired by people around the world. Our customers are babies, children, teen-agers, young adults and senior citizens. I'm proud of our commitment to producing quality dairy products that are safe and wholesome; I'm proud of our dairy farmer-members; and I'm proud of the customers who buy our products.

Cons

Most of the cons come from my own attitude and my unwillingness to probe deeper into what I perceive as differences on issues and policies. Often, it boils down to not having those crucial conversations.

Advice to Management

Keep putting pressure on us to continuously improve our processes and products -- that's what will give us a competitive advantage. Get acquainted with employees at all levels -- especially our hourly employees.

Sep 25, 2017 – Director of Corporate Communications & Brand Management

Thank you for the response. Our challenge to every employee is to think outside the box and be willing to search for different avenues to do what needs to be done. Change is a challenge, but it is... More

"Reminds me of a slave farm."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Foremost Farms full-time

Pros

Great insurance, co-workers, decent pay if you can handle the stress.

Cons

Forced overtime, work holidays ( even Christmas ), very weak union, not much if any employee appreciation / recognition.

Advice to Management

Where should I start? I do not think this section has enough room for me to even begin what management should be doing. All I have to say is wake up and look around you.

3. "Good but not great..."

I have been working at Foremost Farms full-time

Pros

The people are great and the benefits are good

Cons

Executive team is lacking and most of them have been pushed into their role

Oct 20, 2017 – Director of Corporate Communications & Brand Management

Thank you for your response and sharing of your thoughts. We are continually striving to become a stronger organization and our employees and their dedication is what will help us achieve that... More

4. "Run away, unless your are desperate."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Baraboo, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Baraboo, WI

I worked at Foremost Farms full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was decent. Benefit package was decent

Cons

This was the worst job of my professional career. If you are a woman be prepared to get passed over for a promotion unless you can put up with sexual harassment. Also be prepared to be blamed if someone messes up. In the department I worked at in Baraboo, 3 individuals left after being harassed by a VP. I am also aware that there has been scrutiny into discrimination complaints against Foremost. If you work here be prepared to be micromanaged. Also, the office is like a morgue. No laughter allowed!

Advice to Management

Get rid of dead weight and VP's that are liabilities. This is not the "Good Old Boys" club and an office should not be run that way. Treat women as you would your wife/sister/mother. Yes women can be VPs in this day and age. Most of al, practice what you preach!!!!

"Not the best, not the worst"

Current Employee - Packaging in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Packaging in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Foremost Farms full-time

Pros

The hourly employees are mostly friendly and a good group of people to work with. The pay is decent and the insurance/benefits package is good too. There is a good focus on employee safety.

Cons

Overtime! We've only been close to fully staffed once in the last 7 years or so. This causes forced overtime, 18 hour shifts with 6 hour turnarounds sometimes. No fault attendance policy causes repercussions for being even a single minute late. So if someone knows they will be late they just don't show up. Same repercussion, but at least they get some time off to recover from their overtime, while causing more for others. Then others do the same thing. But if fully staffed, people would be less burned out and not do that so much. They also try to run 3 packaging lines with 2 lines worth of staff, the 3rd line is often covered with more overtime. There is a perception that management doesn't listen to employee concerns, and telling employees what they want to hear.

Advice to Management

Give some room to be flexible in the attendance policy. Hire enough people that there's not so much overtime. Involve employees more in process changes rather than just saying we'll do it this way and see how it goes.

Oct 20, 2017 – Director of Corporate Communications & Brand Management

Thank you for your comments and concerns. We are diligently working to ensure that we have staffing levels at all of our sites to alleviate overtime situations. We will continue to work that and... More

"Unprofessional and Top Heavy"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Rothschild, WI
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Rothschild, WI

I have been working at Foremost Farms full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good insurance, fair compensation and lots of hours.

Cons

Failing pension, dishonesty, revolving door of employees, no family time and unstable.

Advice to Management

Need to start looking in the mirror for the problems instead of blaming others. The lies start in Baraboo and the plant management follows suit. Stop saying what people want to here and start taking actions.

May 1, 2017 – Director of Corporate Communications & Brand Management

I am sorry that this experience was a negative for you. We work hard to ensure that we are listening and trying to improve every day. We certainly take your comments seriously and will continue to... More

7. "Working Together Ethically Toward the Future"

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at Foremost Farms full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work for Foremost Farms is the ethics of the workplace. People at Foremost tend to work under the premise "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". This makes for an honest, responsible, work environment. Employees tend to work together as a team under a learning environment. Their are opportunities throughout the Co-op to reach employment goals through succession. Foremost offers a generous tuition assistance plan if furthering your education are part of your short or long term goals.

Cons

Downsides are in the eye of the beholder. What may be a downside to one person is a motivator to another it all depends on the individual's situation.

Advice to Management

If I were to offer advice to management it would be this. Invest in the employee of today to protect the Foremost Farms of tomorrow.

Oct 20, 2017 – Director of Corporate Communications & Brand Management

Thank you for your comments. It is our core values that make us who we are and living those every day is our misson.

8. "Forward thinking organization"

I have been working at Foremost Farms full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is extremely impressive to work for an organization that is willing to look to the future and make changes that are needed to continue to grow and develop this organization. While change is hard and sometimes a struggle, the direction and positive that is coming from all of the current change is extremely exciting. This is truly a great time to be an employee of Foremost Farms and to be part of creating the new future.

Cons

The only con is that there are some that are still struggling with the changes, but this is getting increasingly better every day.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating and being visible. Share your passion and pride with all the employees, it is contagious.

9. "Changing for the future"

I have been working at Foremost Farms full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Foremost Farms is embarking on a lot of change currently, but they are doing a great job at communicating that change to the employees within the cooperative. Change is challenging for many people. I believe that with the different change management tools that are being used, the organization will make be stronger than ever.

Cons

Though a wellness program is available, I would suggest that more be done to get employees involved in and thinking about wellness on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Communication is key. Keep those lines open with your employees!

10. "Foremost Farms Review"

Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Baraboo, WI
    Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Baraboo, WI

I have been working at Foremost Farms full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Upon starting you are given vacation, opportunity to sign up for an affordable insurance, and a very competitive 401k plan. Foremost also offers life insurance, tuition reimbursement, and a working environment with training and growth opportunities. It is a very welcoming company that wants new employees to become engaged in the business

Cons

The only con I can mention is depending on where you work, meeting and working with other areas can be difficult. If your job is in accounting, it can be difficult to know what is happening on the customer service end of the business. With the Business Transformation transition, the business with hopefully develop more connection between areas

Advice to Management

Offering the training for new hires, sets them at ease in knowing expectations, lets them set goals and see the continued opportunities that Foremost has to offer. Hopefully this continues for those that have been here, and becomes a constant reinforcement to all employees.

May 1, 2017 – Director of Corporate Communications & Brand Management

Thank you for your review and your ideas. We are always trying to make the overall experience with Foremost the best it can be.