Forensic Technology Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Robert Walsh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "It is not a bad company"

I have been working at Forensic Technology full-time

Pros

Great Benefits. Few back stabbers.

Cons

Sometimes management by grapevine. Specifically in Largo, FL

Advice to Management

You know what to do.

2. "Montreal Office Good -- Largo Office Bad"

Former Employee - Junior Data Analyst in Largo, FL
    Former Employee - Junior Data Analyst in Largo, FL

I worked at Forensic Technology full-time

Pros

Specific to the Montreal, Quebec, Canada office:

Being a small company, there were historically few opportunities for advancement or promotion. That issue has been improved by the company’s willingness to move interested employees around to work on diverse projects whenever possible. If you are willing and motivated then there are ample opportunities to work on different projects and learn new skills.

In my experience, those efforts are recognized and rewarded and bring with them even more opportunities.

The people are nice and a pleasure to work with. The people are a lot of what kept me here for so long.

The office is environmentally conscious with recycling and compost collection. An abundance of plants make for a healthy workplace.

Cons

Specific to the Largo, Florida, USA office:

I was a motivated, engaged employee of many years who liked my work, my job, the company and my colleagues and had consistently good reviews from other managers. I had no choice but to leave my employment because I was unable to meet a one-time travel requirement due to personal difficulties.

Every alternative and compromise I proposed was rebuffed without consideration or compromise.

It became obvious to me that the determination to have me travel had become about a manager determined to get his own way at any cost to the company.

I have to assume that there is no policy governing employee retention in this office. There also seem to lack any support mechanisms that other companies have for employees expressing personal difficulties that interfere with their work.  But that could just be attributed to management apathy.  I also have to assume that a manager is not held accountable for the costs — estimated conservatively at 6-9 months salary — of replacing a departing employee for the most banal of reasons. A good leader considers what is best for the company — never a personal need to win — in decision-making. I cannot see how this action could be perceived as giving any thought to what was best for the company.

“People join organizations, they quit managers.”

In my opinion, before considering taking a job in this location, ask yourself what kind of a company would award an employee for hard work at a dinner where he sits with the founder; and then within 3 months the same employee has to leave the company over required travel that in any other company would have been handled by a videoconference if that employee was unable to make the trip.

In my experience, technical knowledge, hard work and ability are not the currency of this office. “My way or the highway” passing as a poor approximation of leadership is. Management seems to have self-invented terms and notions about technical solutions which don’t reflect any real training or understanding of technology. Bringing industry-standard best-practices to the table will not be well-received because they will not be understood.

Please note again that none of this reflects in any way the make-up of the Canadian office — which is managed and staffed by technically knowledgable, informed, nice people.

3. "Technical Trainer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros

Great boss
    Family oriented type of company
    Attention to work/life balance
    Great corporate culture
    Working with some very gifted people

Cons

I have no cons to report. Like any company, they try to deal with outside environmental influences. Many times it has worked. Some other times it has failed.

Advice to Management

I really have nothing to to tell management except that when I was employed, it seemed that certain individuals were promoted because of seniority or their degree. As it turned out, they had very poor leadership skills. If these people don't have the leadership abilities, put them on courses to learn the skill.

4. "Excellent company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Forensic Technology (More than 10 years)

Pros

Innovative, challenging, great atmosphere
    Employee centric
    Employer of choice

Cons

Location, not near main artery or metro

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

5. "Nice and competitive company"

Current Employee - Developer in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Developer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Forensic Technology (More than 3 years)

Pros

Transparency, very smart people, good benefits.

A lot of people left the company and came back a few days/weeks/years later!

Cons

Nothing really bad to say!

6. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Forensic Technology full-time

Pros

Leading edge technology - Flexible working environment

Cons

office location need to use a car

7. "Nice colleagues, stimulating job"

I have been working at Forensic Technology (More than 8 years)

Pros

-compensation package; transparency; good work environement

Cons

low turnover so few career opportunities

8. "Work that really does matter"

Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Forensic Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Contributes to a product that helps police tackle gun crime, relaxed atmosphere, flexible hours, good yearly bonuses tied to company-wide performance targets that are visible and attainable

Cons

A lack of upward mobility in some departments, some Sales-driven choices lead to solutions being implemented that end up costing more than they should.

Advice to Management

For the most part keep doing what you're doing

9. "Very nice company, didn't regret my move."

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros

Open minded, cares about it's employee, friendly environment and is concerned about wellness and balance of work time and family. Awarded 2 times title for one of the 50 best managed company in Canada. Flexible work hours.

Cons

offices not located down town, but very accessible too. Free parking, but public transportation is a bit lacking in this area. No policies about teleworking.

Advice to Management

Take the plunge and work out some official policy about teleworking and offer more opportunities for job growth and career progress. Re-align the IT salaries with the true market value for some positions.

10. "Great experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Côte-Saint-Luc, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Côte-Saint-Luc, QC (Canada)

Pros

Be part of crime solving by your work. You will work to make a better world. Possibility to travel depending of your job.

Cons

Difficult to move around in the company. Majority of people engaged were seniors people with a lot of experience. Good luck for student that are junior developers.