Forest City Enterprises Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Forest City Enterprises President and CEO David J. LaRue
David J. LaRue

Pros
  • Great company that values work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• The company has a great reputation for work longevity, great benefits, demanding and aggressive work culture (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on upper management, employees can be treated like crap, Human Resources does nothing for employees if there is a problem (in 4 reviews)

• i hear they are not as good to work for since going REIT (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Groundskeeper in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Groundskeeper in Richmond, VA

I worked at Forest City Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work outside, great team of people, large company, job security

Cons

high management turnover was a problem

2. "Stable environment. Positive professional environment in this field office."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Forest City Enterprises full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The overall environment is professional, energetic and very busy. Team members respect and get along. Leadership starting with GM cultivates positive environment.

Cons

Due to corporate wide financial restructuring, certain departments are understaffed resulting to staff doubling work. This situation builds a very high stress environment.

Advice to Management

Understand field office needs to better decide adding or omitting manpower.

"Blame rolls down hill"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Parma, OH
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Parma, OH

I have been working at Forest City Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company Has Money! Pays Good! Has a Varity of Properties. Vacations , Good Health Insurance.

Cons

Depending on upper management, employees can be treated like crap, Human Resources does nothing for employees if there is a problem.

Advice to Management

Have some compassion for the employees that make you look good!

5. "Steady Job"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Forest City took care of me, excellent benefits, great work environment and paid well. I would work for them again provided the opportunity.

Cons

Nothing bad to say about this company.

"Older employees are not welcome"

Former Employee - Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Analyst in Cleveland, OH

Pros

I see no pros. The company used to be very family oriented. Once the CEO was non-family, the company's values went to hell.

Cons

If you are above 50 you are made to feel worthless. FC used to pride themselves on long time employees...that sure has changed.

Advice to Management

Sell off the whole thing... your employees hate working there. The atmosphere is awful

"Not the Same Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Forest City Enterprises (More than 10 years)

Pros

A very well known national real estate company. The development projects and property management groups and teams outside of the Cleveland HQ are top notch, especially Residential and Forest City Ratner. Salary and benefits are average.

Cons

This review applies to the Cleveland Corporate HQ. The friendly and family atmosphere fostered by the Ratner family is all but gone. The downtown offices are also a major issue. Working conditions in Terminal Tower are old and tired. A full time private police force in Tower City Center is required for safety. Parking facilities under Terminal Tower are costly and falling apart. The real estate visionary leadership of the Ratner family has been replaced by executives focused on accounting and finance and have been selling off key assets of the company company. The change to REIT status has resulted in a reduced workforce and cost reductions causing low morale in many departments. This should not be a surprise to anyone as this is not just one persons opinion . Forest City finished 20 out of the largest 25 companies in Cleveland in 2016 (Plain Dealer) and in the latest Cleveland Magazine insert, ERC who tracks the top 99 workplaces in NE Ohio did not have Forest City on their list.

Advice to Management

The advice to the Board of Directors would be to bring in new and younger Real Estate executive talent who have a better vision and leadership style. The company needs a jump start focused on real estate innovation vs accounting. Forest City Ratner is the model that should be replicated in Cleveland.

8. "Forest city Stapleton apartments denver"

Former Employee - Resident Services Coordinator in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Resident Services Coordinator in Denver, CO

I worked at Forest City Enterprises (More than a year)

Pros

They have great benefits and the environment is good

Cons

Management does not communicate well
    Not open to cross training employees

"FCE is a C+ when it comes to real growth within the company it's more about who you know."

Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Charleston, WV
    Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Charleston, WV

I worked at Forest City Enterprises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have nice benefits like tuition reimbursement which is great for those seeking graduate degrees. That was a major plus.

Cons

It's a who you know environment there. You can be limited in growth if you do not know the right person. Unfortunately I did not have the best experience there. Although I did my job and more my manager did not support me in return. For example I received an unfavorable review after producing results that exceeded our department goals. That manager by the way received a favorable bonus because those achievements were made in our two person department. To my disappointment not much was done when this was brought to their superior's attention which was why I decided to move on.

Advice to Management

Hire more qualified personnel in managerial roles who understand the value of proper team building and mentorship so that they are not intimidated by their support staff.

"Mediocre leadership has hurt the organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Forest City Enterprises full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some really decent, caring people are still there and make for good friends and coworkers. For the most part, the work load isn't intense and few people work after 5:00 in the office or on weekends.

Cons

In their zeal to "make the numbers" top executives have forgotten about the employees. They have become overly focused on goals and metrics and lost the sense of humanity and collegiality that has been a hallmark of the company over its 100 year history. Moreover, in the name of "change," "old" ideas and practices are automatically dismissed in favor of "new" ones, typically introduced by extremely high priced and self-serving consultants who know far less than they think they do. Unfortunately, the favoring of new over old extends to employees and overt ageism is the norm. Finally, there are very few true leaders left in the company. Those in leadership roles either lack experience or are otherwise unqualified in terms of the "soft skills" including the ability to listen, empathize, or inspire people to want be part of a meaningful endeavor.

Advice to Management

Be more thoughtful about who you put in leadership positions. Pick people with good business skills AND good people skills. Talk to some of us who have left the company and are now with other organizations to get our views and maybe learn how other companies are run.

"Company slogan may I help you ? just words !"

Former Employee - Services in Parma, OH
    Former Employee - Services in Parma, OH

Pros

A paycheck every two weeks.

Cons

Very poor pay plan, constant skill tests that do not even apply to your job. Never allowed to try new ideas to better help residents. Poor morale as you never know when it may be your last day on the job.

Advice to Management

Wake up to the fact you need to listen to the mainstream workers.