Foresters Financial Registered Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Bill Lipkus

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No work/life balance, at least if you plan on being successful (in 16 reviews)

• You will be pressured to sell to friends and family (in 13 reviews)

1. "Work hard, reap the benefits"

Current Employee - Registered Representative in South Florida, FL
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in South Florida, FL

I have been working at Foresters Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience with the South Florida office of Foresters Financial has been second to none. Coming right out of college, I wanted to ensure that I worked with a company that has upward growth potential, an attractive benefits package, and a management team that reflected the culture and beliefs of the company. In comparing my experience as an intern with my experience as a full time representative, I have only seen more and more improvements to compensation, benefits, and career opportunities. There are many attractive bonus incentives to exceed required goals in your first year with the company, which was a huge factor in my success during that time. Although this is a difficult industry to succeed in due to its entrepreneurial nature, I was fortunate to be provided with access to thousands of qualified leads to help get my business started. These are current leads that are provided to us on an annual basis through the partnerships we have in various Florida districts. As far as the training program goes, it doesn’t matter what background you have educationally or professionally; It is designed to work with a new employee from the ground up. Whether it be in our “Hour of Excellence” educational classes for new reps, to having experienced management accompany you on your first appointments in front of actual clients, my experience with our training program really solidified my confidence both on the analytical side and in the field. Furthermore, the entire management team is available on a day-to-day basis for any questions, concerns, or help with cases that I may require. Overall, I am proud to work for Foresters Financial because of the achievable work/life balance, the ability to truly make a difference in peoples’ lives, and the friendly team atmosphere that I experience every day I come to work.

Cons

Hard work in the beginning, having to learn to adapt to a wide variety of clients.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of communicating to potential representatives of what a great opportunity this career offers.

"Decent Company If You Are Willing To Ignore A Few Things"

I worked at Foresters Financial full-time

Pros

Competitive products
    Great group of people
    Top management really cares
    You can be highly successful if you don't mind aggressively prospecting

Cons

So many lies in the interview process. I was lied to about the turnover rate, training program, noncompete agreement, cold call approach and a number of other things.
    VERY numbers oriented and selling techniques are pushed hard.

Advice to Management

Stop making false advertisements just to get new reps. Good employees won't stay long if they feel they have been deceived.

3. "Great Company"

Current Contractor - Registered Representative
    Current Contractor - Registered Representative

I have been working at Foresters Financial as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome training, perfect for an entrepreneurial spirit with interest in helping others through finance.

Cons

Hard to start out, but the right mindset will go far and it can be very rewarding.

Advice to Management

More advertising may be advisable, most people in my region haven't heard of Foresters and it is a great company to talk about!

"Good Initial Expience, Difficult Long Term"

Former Employee - Registered Representative in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Registered Representative in Miami, FL

I worked at Foresters Financial (More than a year)

Pros

Paid Licensing programs are rare outside of the elite financial institutions, huge plus. Training program is also quality. Consistent support from managers. Lots of flexibility.

Cons

Instability. Once you become a registered rep, you're 100% commission. Requires leveraging your personal network. I estimate a 2 year retention rate of about 5%

Advice to Management

Implement a salaried position for an extended period of time, 6 months is too short. More clarity in the hiring process. Above all, if you intend to get reps to 100% commission as soon as possible, explain the financial instability they will likely face after that point.

"great company, but not for everyone"

Current Employee - Registered Representative in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Foresters Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great culture, valuable training, sponsor licenses and compensation for time spent studying in office

Cons

no benefits, low pay, need to leverage personal network to find clients

Advice to Management

be more honest in hiring process when talking about how much money you can reasonably expect to make, and lack of help in finding leads

"Great/ Tricky Goals"

Former Employee - Agent/Registered Representative in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Agent/Registered Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at Foresters Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great managers, good attitude and a positive atmosphere. Close knit attention given every day.

Cons

Difficult to reach the goals set by corporate. The managers seek to help as much as they can, but it can be tricky to learn, prospect, and train at the same time.

Advice to Management

Great local support, the corporate center needs to give more flexibility and power to the branch managers.

"Don't be misled"

Former Employee - Registered Representative in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Registered Representative in Woburn, MA

I worked at Foresters Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay your exam fees and materials, plus you're paid to study at work
    Good sense of community within the hiring class
    Senior reps are friendly

Cons

tldr: interviews are misleading, only take this job if you're cool soliciting sales from your personal network (and all the cliches about life insurance salesmen are true)

Branch management's motivation for reps is very "sell or you're fired"
    You will be pressured to sell to friends and family. They will say that this is just to start off, but they continue to emphasize this and getting referrals to their friends and family...
    During interview you'll be told a story about working in school systems with teachers, but you won't be getting there if you don't sell to friends and family first. I expected that I'd be able to get into advising people who needed it, but you can't prospect in earnest until you've passed your 6 and 63 and by then half the time until your first FYGR requirement has passed.
    Speaking of FYGR....compensation seems to be constantly changing. But what you should know is: you make minimum wage for six months, supplemented by baby commissions if you make any sales.

Advice to Management

Don't mislead prospective reps during the interview process; be upfront about this being a sales job and about the need to solicit sales from personal contacts

"Great training. Horrible bosses and culture."

Former Employee - Registered Representative

I worked at Foresters Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training. You go to sales training every morning. Free brochures and copying. You get paid minimum wage for the first 6 months or until you produce $15k in first year revenue. While you get paid (w-2), you get reimbursed for some pre approved gas and marketing. After 3 years, you become your own boss (sort of).

Great place to interview if you need a job ASAP. They will hire anyone that decides to come back. When I interviewed with a room full of 12 people there for the same job, we were told there was only one position open. When I received the job offer and came in for my first day, there was another guy there that I interviewed with... I guess there were 2 spots open. Also, you will see 2 or more new people every other week come in like clockwork. If you are in-between jobs, give it a shot. Minimum wage to sit and read a book isn't bad if you need the money.

Cons

The managers tend to be wash out reps that kissed enough butt. Therefore they have something to prove. After you're off of w-2 and transition to an IC, you will be responsible for all your marketing (trade shows, seminars, etc.), your LinkedIN/Facebook/Twitter through Socialware (500/yr), among other things.

The business plan seems to be 1. hire recent college grads, 2. have them sell insurance and roll their family and friends into A-shares (mutual funds), 3. send them out for 2-3 hour driving distance meetings with prospective clients for $100/mo investments (called money lines and your commission would be 50% of the 5.75% sales charge... basically $2.50/ month), and 4. when they quit, redistribute the clients to the people that kissed butt.

Also, if you decide to interview here; ask if you will have to work Monday-Saturday from 9 to 8pm...

Advice to Management

Be more competitive in hiring. Stop telling people that the office average is $110K per year in commission. Most people in the office are in the training program and the senior representatives barely make above $40K lol

"Great Training but Tough Start to a Career"

Former Employee - Registered Financial Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Registered Financial Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Foresters Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They without a doubt invest a lot in you with the training program and the first couple months are full of learning.

Cons

Much more of a sales driven career as opposed to financial planning, but nonetheless a good start for someone going into financial services. Calling and friends and family first is very uncomfortable sometimes.

Advice to Management

The 60 hour work weeks to start are a bit much and appointment setting goals are hardly ever reached by anyone, which might be a bit discouraging for most.

"Financial Services Representative/Registered Representative"

Former Employee - Registered Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Registered Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Foresters Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company paid happy hours. $9/hr for first 7 months. You get paid while you study for your life, series 6 and 63. The products suck so you really learn how to sell anything. They pay for your trade shows/prospecting activities and reimburse you $.35/mile driven for the first 7 months. They pay for your telephone and cubicle space even after you transition to contractor status. If you have family and friends with tons of money, then this is the place for you!

Cons

Drink the kool-aid. Regardless of what others are saying sucks about the company, don't repeat it and don't contribute... trust me, there are lots of coworkers that are willing to throw you under the bus for an extra atta-boy/girl. Work/Life balance is non-existent. Company does not advertise so it is hard to get prospects to trust you or even remember what company you work for (even after they become clients they'll still call you first financial/investments lol).

The company does not hire experienced advisors/representatives. Very boiler room. Every other week there's a new pool of recent grads interviewing. Every other week there is someone who either gets fired or decides to quit. 2/10 reps stay longer than a year and 1/10 reps actually stay more than 3 years. The company has a reputation of being a stepping stone to other companies, meaning you learn the basics here and then move on to the major leagues (a real firm). During the interview process they sell you on how many licenses you can get (6,63, 7, 66, CFP, etc.) with them but they fail to tell you that you need to hit some crazy sales goals to even think about taking your 7. The environment was not very professional and personal drama always found a way to spill out to the bullpen.

Advice to Management

Let's have some raffles where people actually win a gift card.