Foresters Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 6, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • If you aren't a natural, work/life balance will suffer (in 20 reviews)

• You will cold call or call all of your friends and family and that is really the hardest part of this business for newcomers (in 18 reviews)

"Associate"

Current Employee - Associate in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Foresters Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn, work, and start a career

Cons

Sometimes things take too much time in the pipeline

Advice to Management

Thank you for being great and offering amazing guidance

"Employee"

Former Employee - Employee in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Employee in Edison, NJ

I worked at Foresters Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are literally no pros to this company. If you live locally then you will have a good commute other than that, it's a paycheck - No more and no less.

Cons

If you are a person of color this is not a welcoming company. The blatant favoritism that occurs is very saddening. Not to mention that the company does not have a diversity and inclusion strategy but pretends that it's welcoming to all cultures and races - don't believe it - it's a lie. This is further supported by the company's leadership team. Visit foresters.com and you will not see any people of color.

Your job description will be a moving target and more and more just gets piled up on you - and your pay will not increase.

No pension plan
    401k plan is highly restrictive
    Health insurance is subpar
    No work life balance
    No flexible work schedule
    No short term disability
    No maternity leave
    No work from home privileges as part of your standing schedule.
    Too much favoritism, which demonstrates a lack of professionalism. Never should a VP have a closed door lunch with only select individuals on their team and walk out afterwards cackling. Looks very shady. Nor should they have conversations about another team member's projects with select individuals on their team and purposely not engage the person who is the center of the discussion.
    Not to mention when those same VPs choose to only engage their staff members who are not of color in conversation it becomes extremely disheartening.

If you are a minority you will feel isolated- and that's because you are!

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism and blatant racism. Treat people like you actually value them. You spend all this time and money talking about being community minded and giving back - but treat your employees poorly.

"Great company that cares about the community"

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Foresters Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Excellent Training
    - Receive an hourly wage to support you while you learn the business
    - Great group of coworkers
    - They really care about doing whats right for the customer and community

Cons

You have to work really hard and it certainly isn't for everyone. However, that hard work does pay off and you will be successful if you put in the time.

Advice to Management

Continue the policy of putting the clients first!

"Best decision I ever made"

I have been working at Foresters Financial full-time

Pros

Supportive team environment
    Payout is one of best in industry
    Training program industry leading
    New products

Cons

None- but you have to work hard. All of the other reviews of people complaining are due to lack of work effort which causes failure. No hiding behind that.

Advice to Management

Keep making us even better than we are!

"Financial Representative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Foresters Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, strong training program, community outreach, pays for licensing, competitive compensation.

Cons

If you can't work hard, this job will not be for you. Hard work and commitment are necessary for any role.

"Work hard, reap the benefits"

Current Employee - Registered Representative in South Florida, FL
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in South Florida, FL

I have been working at Foresters Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience with the South Florida office of Foresters Financial has been second to none. Coming right out of college, I wanted to ensure that I worked with a company that has upward growth potential, an attractive benefits package, and a management team that reflected the culture and beliefs of the company. In comparing my experience as an intern with my experience as a full time representative, I have only seen more and more improvements to compensation, benefits, and career opportunities. There are many attractive bonus incentives to exceed required goals in your first year with the company, which was a huge factor in my success during that time. Although this is a difficult industry to succeed in due to its entrepreneurial nature, I was fortunate to be provided with access to thousands of qualified leads to help get my business started. These are current leads that are provided to us on an annual basis through the partnerships we have in various Florida districts. As far as the training program goes, it doesn’t matter what background you have educationally or professionally; It is designed to work with a new employee from the ground up. Whether it be in our “Hour of Excellence” educational classes for new reps, to having experienced management accompany you on your first appointments in front of actual clients, my experience with our training program really solidified my confidence both on the analytical side and in the field. Furthermore, the entire management team is available on a day-to-day basis for any questions, concerns, or help with cases that I may require. Overall, I am proud to work for Foresters Financial because of the achievable work/life balance, the ability to truly make a difference in peoples’ lives, and the friendly team atmosphere that I experience every day I come to work.

Cons

Hard work in the beginning, having to learn to adapt to a wide variety of clients.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of communicating to potential representatives of what a great opportunity this career offers.

"Financial advisor in training"

I worked at Foresters Financial full-time

Pros

Amazing people and office environment, it feels like a family. A company that wants you to succeed and push yourself. They tell you up front that you have to put in the work, that is the only way you will have a solid book and see money coming in. If you slack off you check will reflect that once you are off the training salary and become IC.

Cons

No cons, anytime something is not working for the training program, it is changed to better fit your needs.

Advice to Management

none.

"Racism Central...People of Color, Stay Away!"

Former Employee - Integrity Officer in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Integrity Officer in Edison, NJ

I worked at Foresters Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a job...nothing more!

Cons

Pay sucks! they treat the staff like slaves rather than workers! Diversity in head count only. People of color, do not expect any real opportunity to grow with this company. You will be "pigeon-holed." Management lacks integrity and cannot be trusted!

Advice to Management

Have integrity! Be transparent! Be Honest! Treat all equally fairly! People should be promoted on genuine merit not because they are white and certainly not through manipulation schemes!

if zero star was a rating, this company would be awarded the Razzie of the century. It is not even worth giving a one star in such areas as "Culture & Values" or "Compensation." It is despicable!

"IT Network Administrator US"

I worked at Foresters Financial (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you continuously work hard and not see your family you might eventually be rewarded.

Cons

The management are puppets to the CIO and have no people skills whatsoever. Everything is made up as they go. Management cannot make any decisions since they are afraid to get yelled at. The CIO will talk to your supervisor directly in front of you about your "bad" performance in 3rd person. He also has a tendency to push you aside and take control of your pc and do your job. Being the smartest person in the room doesn't make you a good leader. There is no feeling of a team environment, which is a shame since there are some really good people there.

Advice to Management

Remember employees should come first. A happy workforce WILL make everything succeed. Stop beating your employees and talking down to them. You are beating the care out of the entire department.

"Decent Company If You Are Willing To Ignore A Few Things"

Former Employee - Registered Representative
    Former Employee - Registered Representative

I worked at Foresters Financial full-time

Pros

Competitive products
    Great group of people
    Top management really cares
    You can be highly successful if you don't mind aggressively prospecting

Cons

So many lies in the interview process. I was lied to about the turnover rate, training program, noncompete agreement, cold call approach and a number of other things.
    VERY numbers oriented and selling techniques are pushed hard.

Advice to Management

Stop making false advertisements just to get new reps. Good employees won't stay long if they feel they have been deceived.