Forever 21 Reviews | Glassdoor

Do Won "Don" Chang
1,462 Ratings

3,814 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Working in fast paced environment (in 251 reviews)

• Opportunities to learn a lot about the industry (in 56 reviews)

Cons

"I am dead on the inside, but would you like to buy this tote bag for only a dollar fifty?"

Current Employee - Cashier and Sales Associate (Depending On Where They Throw Me) in Glendale, AZ

Pros

to meet new people, see new merchandise before it is shopped, ability to wear regular clothing (rather than a uniform)

Cons

The managers are cold and unapproachable. Countless scheduling problems. Schedules are not posted in a timely manner. four hour work weeks, embarassingly low pay. an 85,000 square foot store with no in-store human resources team, no clerical, no system or database for locating merchandise, no phone operator. Many associates and managers openly break dress code (excess cleavage, tattoos showing). Managers act unprofessionally, talk in slang (super annoying) and waste time chatting with other managers or associates. Doing go backs is an endlessly frustrating and impossible task because we have a huge store with two levels and there is not real system that determines where merchandise goes. It is organized by "trend", but there are often difficulties distinguishing what goes where when there are similar elements in different sections. For example, there is distressed denim in one section, acid wash in another, and grommets in yet another section. Where does something go when it is acid washed, distressed, AND has grommets?? There is no way to know for sure.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Be more open and approachable. Practice what you preach. Provide associates with opportunities for feedback and recognition. Reorganize completely!

2. "Worst job ever"

Pros

You get to shop while you work and there is okay music? The comstuers were usually friendly so that helped.

Cons

Worst job ever. Manager ws never there. When I put in my two weeks notice I had to put it on a post-it on the computer because she hadn't been into work for a couple of weeks. (Not vacation time) I got in trouble a couple of times for not wearing enough accessories which is rediculous they don't pay you enough or of give a good discount.

Advice to Management

Don't promote people because you're friends with them and don't cut people out of the schedule because you don't like the clothes they are wearing.

3. "Worst. Job. Ever."

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Cute, cheap clothes - that's about it.

Cons

Store manager NEVER leads by example
    Very unorganized
    Unprofessional treatment of employees by certain managers
    Expectation is very high. Compensation is very low.
    No benefits for 6 months (at full time. If you miss even 1 day without a Dr.'s note, you have to wait 6 more months for benefits.)
    Horrible hours - even for retail!
    Often times employees are scheduled to close, leaving the store at 11:30 PM, then scheduled to open - returning to work at 8AM the following morning
    Over night shifts are required for floor set every 6 weeks
    They do NOT promote from within, nor do they encourage employee growth

Advice to Management

District Managers: push for higher salaries for your talent. You will recruit people of a much more professional caliber.

4. "I have worked a lot of places and this was by far the worst."

Current Employee - Worst Job Ever in Robinson, PA
    Current Employee - Worst Job Ever in Robinson, PA

Pros

The dress code was great that was about it though.

Cons

long awful hours, late late nights, even worse pay,
    management treats you like children even if you are more educated than some of them.
    Very poor training and hiring = huge turnover.
    Discount -not even worth it.

Advice to Management

Don't make your employees wait for the next shift to come in and take their places, this is not our fault you hired employees who are not punctual. It makes us dread showing up for work even more. If you want us to show up on time for let us clock in when we get there not "exactly at scheduled time" that just prompts us to show up late because if we are not paid for our time why on earth are we going to stand there for 10 mins. before our shift. At closing let your associates leave when they are done straightening not wait for you to turn on the alarm and take your time finishing your reports and getting out, its one am we want to go home already.

"Worst job I have ever, ever had between working in Europe and America."

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser

Pros

"Generous" 10% discount. Good current chart music. Fast fashion. Cheap clothes. That's it. Very little actual visual merchandising involved.

Cons

All other reviews were right. Slave labour, crying staff. Frequent store safety violations. Theft galore, inside and out. Patronizing management.

Advice to Management

Train your staff instead of firing them. Applaud hard work, keep your emotions, gossip and favoritism out of your job.

6. "Definitely not the job you want in this economy."

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

Cute and cheap clothing
    You can make really great friends
    Nice environment to work in
    Fast paced on some days so you never get bored
    Relaxed dress code

Cons

Extremely cheap discount
    Bad managers
    Favoritism
    Bad company policies
    No room for employee advancement
    Very cliquish
    Bad store layout and it is very messy
    No hours

Advice to Management

What is the deal with the discount? At Wet Seal customers get the same discount on EVERY purchase online and in store for a year by just buying a seal deal card 1 time. Customers of Forever 21 can also get the same discount if they buy something ripped or broken. What is the incentive of being an employee when we don't even get any good benefits? I think customers have it a lot better at F21. At our store they wouldn't even give the assistant managers the ability to apply an employee discount so if the store manager or the head visual weren't there, we couldn't buy anything. We had to shop on their schedule. When other people inquired about the employee discount and I told them what it was they would scoff, especially the employees of other stores in the shopping area. I got embarrassed to tell people after seeing so many bad reactions. Basically, we get tax off and can't even return anything. Wow. Also, the hours were horrible. A couple of the manager favorites got to work every day while a few of the other girls got 1-4 hours a week - this is not enough money to pay the bills. They cut hours drastically and instead of at least distributing them equally among employees they would give the bulk of them to a choice few. For the holidays they hired more people instead of giving the original employees more days. Sales Associates do not have the option of working full time so we get no benefits. With no benefits and not enough hours in our checks to pay for any emergencies I guess our best bet is to suffer or die. Don Chang and Forever 21 are extremely greedy and it seems he does this to sales associates so he can save money for himself. It seems to be working as Forever 21 is a multi-million dollar business. I'll give him some props for being a savvy businessman and making lots of money even if it is in a dishonorable way. All in all, the job is glamorous because everyone loves F21 (I was so excited when I was told I got the job), but in reality there is nothing great about working here. Basically, only work here if you want a fun job and don't expect it to become anything serious to pay bills with unless you were already friends with one of the managers to begin with and can get more hours.

7. "hate it."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Madison, WI

Pros

-flexible dress code
    -good music
    -one of my best friends works there
    -cute clothes
    -constant change of scenery
    -its overall a pretty store

Cons

-favoritism
    -bad pay
    -low discount
    -HORRIBLE training, practically none
    -messy
    -no set schedules
    -managers (2 of them) yell at us like we are 5
    -its hard to get along with anyone

Advice to Management

My advice would be for the management (2 people specifically) to quit talking/yelling at everyone like we are kids. If we had better training and instruction we could do a better and more effective job. Also, quit choosing favorites. It's not only extremely noticeable, but extremely disrespectful and childish. I don't have any issues with the corporate side of things, it's all within the store and personal.

"Poor management, hard work for little pay"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Being able to "shop" the massive amount of back stock that cannot be jammed out onto the floor.
    Employee dress code is fashion driven.
    Fast paced, always numerous projects to be working on.

Cons

Schedules are made one week at a time. Due to my not being scheduled frequently on weekends, I often leave for the week without knowing when to return to work. The co-manager takes the schedule home with her often, and fails to fulfill her promise of phoning us with our schedule. Due to this, there have been numerous occasions where I have been called 20 minutes after I was scheduled to work without any knowledge of my shift. Also, shift times will be changed without our knowledge, so we will show up and then are told to go home because we are there at the "wrong" time.
    There is a severe gap in the line of communication amongst store management and upper management.
    I am basically in charge of visual merchandising, but am not recognized as such in my official job title or my pay. Pressure is put on the visual team to do literally an impossible amount of work and relocate merchandise. The floor set is based on what the district visual merchandiser did at ONE random store, using their unique selection of merchandise. Although we all get the same stuff, different regions of the country sell merchandise very differently. Management doesn't realize that as a visual manager, appropriate substitutions and changes are impossible to avoid. As long as the visual concept is well understood by the visual team, an product that is called out is used, these changes should be at visual teams discretion. Corporate directives for floor set are in turn impossible to execute, due to upper management's lack of acknowledging that each store and their individual needs and unique circumstances.
    Immature and highly inexperienced managers are a source of grief not only for sales associates, but for the company. In store management is a joke. We have meetings about elaborate new policies that we will be enacting, then no one ever talks about it again until one of the managers is up for a review and needs to hand in some sort of paperwork to appear efficient.
     I frequently open the store with any one of three managers, sometimes as early as 3 hours prior to store opening. I have sat and waited for up to 15, 30 and 45 minutes for a manager without even a phone call.
    The amount of product received on a daily basis combined with limited floor space as well as stock room space makes for a giant mess. This also affects our ability to keep the newest merchandise flowing onto the floor on a timely and reasonable basis. No direct deposit is highly inconvenient. Scheduling is based on sales, but if you are at work the majority of the time while the store isn't even open, how is sales an accurate gauge of one's performance?
    There is absolutely no feasible organization plan currently in place. Sales, stock and visual spend hours doing cleaning, lifting, organizing, etc, only to have someone come into the back and tear it all apart to find one item, especially managers.

Advice to Management

More (any) training is needed on ALL levels of employment.

9. "hate it"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Victorville, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Victorville, CA

Pros

fashion forward company. GOt along with assocites

Cons

Too much work too many policies

Advice to Management

get out

10. "awful job"

Current Employee - Manager in Novi, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Novi, MI

Pros

no one should ever work here

Cons

EVERYTHING! This is not a nice place to work

Advice to Management

Upper management is awful. Most of the people working in the stores are great but the company needs an overhaul

Showing 3,814 of 3,836 reviews