Forever 21 Store Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Forever 21 Co-Founder and CEO Do Won "Don" Chang
Do Won "Don" Chang

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Working in fast paced environment (in 262 reviews)

• Opportunities to learn a lot about the industry (in 57 reviews)

1. "Co Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Forever 21 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Creative freedom with merchandising

Cons

. Discount only 10%, employees paid minimum so lots of turnover due to heavy workload, all managers work all holidays worke except Christmas

Advice to Management

Be prepared to carry the workload of all departments due to lack of payroll

2. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Forever 21 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My pay was pretty competitive because I negotiated but I know other store managers who were running teir 4 stores who were only making a little over $20. That's sad.

Cons

Favoritism was extremely bad in my market. The company has so many rules or procedures and only a select few are required to follow them. As a store manager I wasn't able to give documentation when people broke the rules and was always told "it's a process" when dealing with issues involving someone my district manager liked. Discount is only 10%. Micro managed by the company. Forced to participate in contest (w/no reward) that were basically extra busy work when time could be spent doing other things. Very unrealistic expectations. Corporate is very unorganized and they never consider what may be going on at the store level before placing demands.

Advice to Management

Spend more time in your stores leading by example vs stopping in every other 3months dictating and pointing out what's wrong or should be better.

3. "Worst experience of my life"

I worked at Forever 21 full-time

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

I had high hopes for this organization upon hire, but was quickly disappointed. F21 cares only about shoving merchandise down the customers' throats, and nothing else. Working conditions were horrendous. (crazy hours, impossible workload) These stores are near impossible to keep in order. With zero payroll to work with, turnover is high and this is why the stores are always such a disaster. Upper management does not care about any of this, and criticism was about the only communication they give. Being ridiculed over things beyond your control gets old real quick. Keep your dignity, don't work here.

And don't get me started about the paperwork. These people live in the stone ages. Boxes and boxes of files dating back at least 5 years that we were not allowed to throw away? Like applications? Old schedules? Not to mention the non-existent hours it takes to file all this junk.... WHY?

Advice to Management

Stores need more payroll. It is a necessary cost that I believe will improve store appearance, customer satisfaction and sales.... and turnover

Stores need better support and training

Markdowns need to happen more often, with more time allowed to complete. Racks were always overfilled due to old merchandise that never goes on markdown, and new merchandise flooding in

Overall company culture is terrible. All about making money, and they are ruthless about it. The people don't matter. It makes for a really stressful and non-supportive work environment.

"Assistant Store Mainager"

Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Forever 21 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bare Minimum Work Ethic Required
    Easy to Get In
    Can do whatever you want

Cons

Include all the Pros
    Store Managers are Terrible
    District Managers are Terrible
    Pay is HORRIBLE
    The company is all around bad

Advice to Management

They need to get a whole new team of upper management

"Something Higher Up Must Be Done"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Aventura, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Aventura, FL

I worked at Forever 21 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quick advancement with the turnover being so high.
    Affordable clothing that changes often with the seasons.

Cons

Definitely not somewhere one should want to end up (at least not currently). People work there for years and years and can stay an associate. I never wanted to leave a review of my time here because it wasn't always pleasant, but occasionally I'll get notifications that reviews have been left on the company, and after constantly reading I felt it was time to speak up.

Advice to Management

I've seen it from both ends. I started as a cashier and heard my peers complain about upper management, and I have been upper management and heard my peers complain about associates. My reasons for leaving were partially due to the issues people have made aware previously, but I was also growing really fast in management and retail is not what I am in school to do. This was suppose to be something to meet people in a new area and maybe make some money in the process. I just wasn't excited at the age of 22 being talked to about running my own store. It's not in the cards for me, but it can be for so many others that are passionate about it. In all honesty people want to throw blame any way they can to justify the problems in their minds. This isn't necessary. I could sit here all day and list out the same negative points everyone prior has on why their store was bad, and even though they are probably all true, it doesn't change anything for anyone. What needs to be done is Forever 21 (as a company) has to invest more money into itself. This training for the staff, cleanliness, hour cuts, hours overload, short breaks, bad benefits, bad management, rude employees, dirty unkept stores are all issues that need to be financially invested more into. The company has to sit down with all of these real reviews and devise a plan to cut back on the way things are currently being done. Yes, it will be pricey at first to train and get the necessary requirements completely and into creation, but it will payoff more for the company in the long run. For an example look at a business like Chick-fil-A. They are not perfect and I am sure they encounter daily problems, but they are known for their customer service and upkeep. Other than perhaps some political stances and being closed on Sundays, they are thought highly of for the most part. That is the farthest thing from people's minds when thinking of Forever 21. After a plan has been made in corporate offices, the store managers across the board need a severe crash course on the new store infrastructure. Fly them out to LA for a revamp and change of scenery. You do it for other things, so this should be just as easy. They need to be made aware that things have to and are going to change immediately. After returning and working their new plans into action (with plenty of additional store hours allotted for them to do so) the staffing should even out and the work environment as well. I hope it helps because people aren't going to stop shopping at Forever 21 because it is stylish and affordable. But people also aren't going to stop complaining about the problems they are encountering. I see this growing as a problem for the company as a whole with lawsuits and such. Training, training, training. The company must invest more money into Forever 21 stores than they are currently doing.

"Underpaid with lots of overhead. Unappreciative store management"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Forever 21 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stylish
    A lot of selection
    Usually a lot of hours
    Flexible hours
    Meet some really cool people
    Wardrobe will grow

I thoroughly enjoyed my job until a new SM was put in place. I loved being able to teach myself all the ins and outs and the LP, DM and DVM always were available when I would reach out.

Cons

Poor upper management
    Low employee discount
    Low appreciation
    Poor training

I taught myself everything I knew with the job. I even trained the person who became SM two years later. Communication within the building lacked. There was a lot of micromanaging and if it didn't go the SM's way, you would be bullied. Too much drama for anyone to handle. I would need a raise to even want to listen to the drama!

Advice to Management

Respect your staff and appreciate the effort everyone puts in. A good cohesive team will take that business further than anything. It takes a special person to handle stress within the company. Loved my job until management changed. Try to find the problem to resolve instead!

7. "Store Manager"

I worked at Forever 21 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great room for growth, if your store is well structured its over all a pleasant place to work.

Cons

The company is still family owned so things were "a little behind in the times" when it came to the systems in place.

Advice to Management

Create more structure within your districts.

8. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Forever 21 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Always opportunity to grow. Great upper management.

Cons

Work load is intense. Not manyemployee benefits.

"Rough company to work for"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Edison, NJ

I worked at Forever 21 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn a lot
    Fast pace
    Top trends
    Visual aspects
    Stay on your toes
    Communication skills advance
    Critical thinking skills advance

Cons

Upper management
    Late nights
    Lack of resources
    Messy store
    Always short staffed
    Pay rate
    Employee discount
    No customer service employee support

Advice to Management

Give stores the resources (payroll) to maintain a good store. Stores will always be busy and we need employees to keep it from falling apart. It is way to fast pace and overwhelmingly busy for there not to be staff on your sales floor. If you can't provide your stores with the resources to succeed, don't expect them to succeed.
    Stores are messy and require tedious work to clean up after customers. You should invest on over night employees to recover your store the envionrment of your company should have taught you that 4 pairs of hands cannot spend an additional 4-5 hours after closing cleaning up the mess yet still not leaving the store at 100%.
    You should care more about your employees. F21 employees work extremly hard even on good days and a measly 10% discount is not a way to show appreciation. The company does not value their employees management teams come and go and they prefer to hire from outside rather than promoting within. The company does not seek to teach and help employees grow in the company.

10. "Co Manager"

Current Employee - Store Co-Manager
    Current Employee - Store Co-Manager

I have been working at Forever 21 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved product, pay, and employees

Cons

Company is disorganized and cheap.