Forrester Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

4.3
Forrester Chairman, President, and CEO George F. Colony
George F. Colony

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is exceptional (in 82 reviews)

• Very smart people throughout the organization (in 83 reviews)

Cons

"Invigorating Work & People"

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At Forrester, your voice - your perspective, experience, and ideas - will be heard. We are always learning from and teaching our peers, our managers, and many others across the ecosystem with whom we work. We have an unmatched level of respect for one another, and that enriches the experience of working here. What I appreciate most about this company is the passion so many of us share in the work we do for our clients and for our own organization.

Cons

We are in a constant state of change. We also struggle with getting out of the "idea" stage and into the "action" stage, so we need to be better at keeping ourselves in check when we head down a path of overworking an idea. We are getting better at testing and experimenting - agility is challenging and necessary as we look to improve ourselves to better serve our clients and employees.

"Wonderful Place To Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

From the entertaining and comfortable (yes, comfortable) interviews to the in-depth on-boarding process, my first entry to Forrester 10 years ago let me know that I was in for an amazing professional experience. I still am excited to come into work each day where I get to work with the very best team and where I get to form life-long friendships and professional connections with some of the smartest people around. My immediate managers are always supportive and always challenge me to stretch and grow professionally.

Though I don’t have much time for it now, one of my favorite perks is the weekly piano lessons they have on offer. It’s so great to be able to take a break and tickle the ivories to decompress. Forrester is about change, adaptability, challenge, quality, and so much more. I’d recommend working at Forrester to anyone in a heartbeat.

Cons

There is a lot of change, which means that work doesn't get stale -- but you'll definitely need to be agile and adaptable.

"It matters that I work at Forrester"

Current Employee - Vice President in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm approaching my two year anniversary at Forrester in Cambridge, MA and it continues to be a place that provides the intellectual vibrancy and collegial environment to energize me every day. Forrester is a place where you need to bring your "A" game everyday. You can expect to learn and grow but you also need to be willing to listen to others, to take advice and guidance. Depending where you've been it may not always be easy to hear the feedback but if you can you will grow. The result is that things do change and if you take charge of your career you can set yourself on a varied journey. Personally, I'm in the same role as when I started yet my role evolves, as do the challenges. I demand to be challenged every day and Forrester delivers. Comp is good and benefits are excellent.

Cons

Hey it can be hard! But that's what I have signed up for.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward and continue to embrace change. And stay accessible.

"Great for Resume - Not Great for Your Bank Account"

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Full of smart, passionate people.
    Employee Appreciate Day is always a blast.
    The flexibility of working from home is awesome - I can't remember the last time I took a sick day.
    For a larger company, they definitely try to make sure there are fun things to do and show their appreciation with cool perks like ice cream trucks every other Wednesday in the summer.
    Forrester looks great on a resume.
    The work itself is very interesting and you learn new things every day.
    They take their values seriously and have a lot of integrity.
    There is a gym on site at the Cambridge location.
    Having access to all the Research is a plus if you're a curious person.
    Despite my con list, I would still recommend, especially if you're right out of college or looking to boost your resume - Forrester is a good place to develop your skills. And if you need a job, you need a job.

Cons

The pay is low. Really, really low. Get a second job low.
    Very bureaucratic.
    Process improvement suggestions aren't necessarily taken into consideration because there's too much red tape.
    Seniority is more important than merit - promotions are more likely to happen if you've been there a while than if you're working hard and crushing performance metrics.
    If you're in a department other than Sales or Research, prepare to be undervalued.
    The Cambridge location isn't ideal. There are no real food options around or places to go to run errands on your lunch break, unless you want to walk 20+ minutes to get there.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more.

"Ask and you shall receive"

Current Employee - Data Consultant in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Data Consultant in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester (Less than a year)

Pros

If you seek out opportunities for growth, you will most likely find it in spades. The key is advocating for yourself. Moreover, Forrester loves to promote from within so if you see your path shifting, it's relatively easy to find a position in another department.

Beyond that, there is a strong emphasis on transparency, honesty, and a general curiosity that inherently leads to quality results. I feel proud to deliver our work.

Cons

What you gain in a very reasonable work-life balance is reflected in your compensation. It's absolutely enough to live off of, especially for someone like myself coming from the academic/non-profit sector. However, compared to other professional services firms, the pay is relatively low.

6. "Great enviornment"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Forrester full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging work
    Friendly environment
    Great for networking at the C level and above
    Every day is a learning day

Cons

Constant shifts in sales strategy
    Bad revelation criteria
    Lack of political support by line mangers

Advice to Management

Support verticals

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great collaboration
    Challenging work
    Smart co-workers
    Exposure to senior leadership

Cons

More training and development opportunities

Advice to Management

Continue to hire great leaders

"Forrester sales"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Forrester provides you the opportunity to think and act strategically. You are the owner of your business within your territory and given the resources to sell. The strength of the Forrester Brand allows you to reach multiple buyers with ease within the Vendor accounts.

Cons

Constant change is distracting at times.

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Forrester is a great company with reputable products. There is an acute focus on quality, culture, employee experience, and supporting a work/life balance.

Cons

Changes can be sweeping, sometimes without much warning. The corporate strategy seems to shift frequently. The shift to Age of the Customer is a challenge for legacy clients to absorb, and therefore a challenge to renew and sell at times.

Advice to Management

Be more aggressive with M&A, the company is in dire need of a face-lift, and developing or acquiring a proprietary technology might just be what Forrester needs to thrive in the Age of the Customer, and keep up with Gartner (who recently acquired CEB)

"Forrester's best days are behind them"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Forrester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Forrester has many smart, kind people who are fun to work with. The company treats their employees well and makes a good effort to keep employees happy and engaged. It's a great place to start your career and a fairly well recognized company name for your resume.

Cons

Forrester's best days are behind them. Their product innovation is non-existent and while much of their research is valuable, their products are not relevant in today's market. Company decisions are driven by anecdotes rather than data. Which is ironic because they write plenty of research on data analytics. This is partly due to the fact that their data architecture and analytical capabilities are lagging behind more successful companies. They don't do any A/B or hypothesis testing and most decisions are made on the gut feel of the highest paid person in the room.

If you're looking for a job with plenty of work/life balance, Forrester could be a great fit. If you're looking to work with aggressive people who will work extremely hard and push you to become better at what you do, you might want to look elsewhere. There are way too many middle/upper management employees in this company who provide little value. At Forrester the person who has been around the longest will get the promotion regardless of merit. The person who has been keeping their chair warm the longest, usually wins here. As a result they have high turnover and are way too top heavy with too few "worker bees."

Lastly, they lost a star in my book because their HR department (which they call employee experience) has made such a strong push over the past year to encourage employees to leave (favorable) glassdoor reviews. I've even heard of them scheduling meetings on employee's calendars for the sole purpose of having the employee leave a review while HR is in the room. I think this defeats the purpose of an unbiased resource like glassdoor, where employees should be able to choose if they want to leave a review or not. I get that you want to have a good GD rating, but instead of focusing so many HR resources on GD reviews, focus it on improving the company. This doesn't mean more happy hours this means listen to employee feedback, listen to customer feedback, listen to your own research and you will achieve a better glassdoor rating organically.

Advice to Management

The CEO is a really nice guy but he is holding the company back big time and has got to go. Stop hiring C-level execs! Not every problem can be fixed by hiring an executive. Become data driven. Even your research has shown that only data driven firms will succeed in the future. Improve your tech. Band-aid tech fixes are not a solution. Innovate your products. Don't rename them. Listen to customers and employees and create products that make customers want to purchase again and again rather than leave after 1 year.

Forrester Response

May 12, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience; clearly you left us with some frustration. To your comments around product innovation and data-driven decision making, Forrester, like other... More