Forrester Reviews in Cambridge, MA | Glassdoor

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Forrester Chairman, President, and CEO George F. Colony
George F. Colony

Pros
  • Work life balance is exceptional (in 78 reviews)

• Lots of smart people conducting lots of research looking for ways to change the behavior of technology and marketing professionals (in 78 reviews)

Cons
  • Demanding work with lots of A-type personalities - hard to strike good work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Not enough support from senior management (in 23 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Forrester has a soul"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Why have I stayed at Forrester for 15 years? The company has a soul. This is a culture of intellectual curiosity, passion, integrity, and respect. I am surrounded by colleagues who inspire me every day with their intelligence, quality of work, and commitment to do the right thing. I feel accountable to inspire them; to elevate their potential and experience. At Forrester, my voice has value. Executives much smarter than me not only know my name, they ask for, and listen to, my opinion. I have been given multiple opportunities to grow into new roles and responsibilities, each time both terrifying and exhilarating. This is a culture of discovery, where I am always learning and always teaching. This is a place with a sense of humor and a sense of humanity. In short, Forrester’s values are my values.

Come to Forrester to challenge yourself. Come to Forrester to grow. Come to Forrester to make an impact.

Cons

We are too risk averse; not enough product innovation.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the importance of culture and employee experience. While other companies talk about “perks” such as free food, it’s Forrester’s strong culture that is memorable and sustainable.

Sep 29, 2016 – CEO

Thank you very much for these kind words about this company that we all know and love. I'd like to imagine that I can figure out who you are, but there are a lot of fantastic Forresterites who have ... More

"LOVE Forrester"

Current Employee - Client Services in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Client Services in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time

Pros

Intelligent, passionate, inspired employees. Great benefits. High-tech. PLENTY of room for growth.

Cons

Paying so much for parking!

"Great Place to Make an Impact!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been lucky throughout my career to work with some exceptional people and never has this been more accurate than at Forrester. I'm constantly challenged and supported by my peers and love that I come into work everyday and know that I'm making an impact in our clients everyday lives. I can't stress how wonderful everyone here is on my team and how close we are as a family. Work life balance could not be better and I'm grateful everyday to be so lucky with my young family at home to be able to work hard and still get to spend quality time with them..

Cons

We are still maturing as a consulting organization and at times can be frustrating, but I honestly see it as an opportunity that we are all undertaking with great leadership to overcome and be better than ever.

Advice to Management

Continue to support training for staff and building out career paths for everyone.

"Amazing Culture, Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture at Forrester is incomparable. If you want to work somewhere where you feel supported and encouraged every day, then you should be working at Forrester.

Work life balance is exceptional.
    Amazing benefits (including a lot of PTO).
    Ability to work from home.

Cons

No cons to speak of -- keep up the great work!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Hypocritical Sales Methods"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Forrester full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

--Working alongside true Industry Experts who will take the time to chat with you.
    --Ice Cream Truck Wednesdays
    --Views of the Alewife Brook Reservation from your desk
    --Ping-pong table
    --Encouraged to travel and get in front of your clients as often as possible.

Cons

--"By any means necessary" sales tactics by new business team. Selling unattainable promises to new clients, which leaves account management to pick up the pieces and deal with churn.
    --Heavy game of favorites played by management.
    --Management often promoted from within, which can bring a lot of favors from old sales rep days.

Advice to Management

Start hiring industry professionals for management roles. Reps don't make the best managers, just like players don't make the best coaches.

Feb 10, 2017 – CSO

I’m sorry your Forrester experience was disappointing. There’s definitely room for improvement in how we onboard and service clients. That’s a large part of what the new selling model is addressing ... More

"Need senior management shake up"

Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Forrester hires really smart, fun, and hard working people. This helps build a terrific culture that collaborates and enjoys working together. There is room for growth within your stack typically. Their is also excellent work/life balance here.

Cons

The direction the company is moving in is a lot like wrapping up the same bad gift in new shiny paper. The company needs to change WHAT we sell not HOW we sell it.

Management has made it clear that unless you are in premier sales, you will not get the resources you need to be successful. The premier team will be selling in account teams of 4 while core sales is limited in the products they can sell, has to split bookings credit on some of what they do sell, and does not have a solutions partner to help map out how Forrester can help "core clients".

Salary is inconsistent across the organization and some roles are severely under compensated for the market. Instead of changing salaries in markets like Boston, New York, and San Fran... we are moving roles to Nashville where labor costs are lower. This is going to cause attrition of talent in our established office locations.

The move to Nashville, in addition to the new selling model, is effectively removing the sales "bench" that Forrester used to have via the ADM and SDS teams. Now these employees don't have the opportunity to move into a quota carrying role unless they move out of the Boston area (where most ADMs and SDSs are located)

Advice to Management

Some members of the executive and senior leadership team have been Forrester "lifers". While it's wonderful that we are promoting from within (a practice I think is critical for roles such as sales management) it causes stagnant thinking and a lack of new ideas. We need a leadership change that will shake up the status quo and bring Forrester the growth that we preach about achieving year after year.

Feb 10, 2017 – CSO

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, especially your appreciation of Forrester’s culture, people, growth opportunities, and work/life balance. The new selling model includes significant ... More

"Good culture and work environment .... Sometimes."

Current Employee - Events in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Events in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent vacation perks, fun activities monthly/quarterly, free food, free awesome coffee, growth opportunities if you work hard! VPs and managers are always willing to meet with anyone from the org which gives everyone a great opportunity to network and pursue different careers within the org. They really prefer to promote from within which is great.

Cons

Not enough support from senior management. Rare raises or opportunity to grow for those who work hard. Much of the focus is on growing sales but you need resources to support the sales function. Almost everyone is drowning in work. Always expect more growth but never provide enough resources to support that growth. Communication between senior management and those who do the work is terrible. Poor technology and not enough investment in BT teams to transform into a digital business.

Advice to Management

Treat your workers that you want to hold onto with rewards and respect. Don't focus only on increasing sales when the rest of the org is swamped. Invest in technology that transforms the org into a better digital business that helps your employees. Follow the advice you write in your research.

"Apply Yourself And You'll Go Far"

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people at this company are amazing and full of innovative ideas. If you apply yourself, you will continue to be intellectually challenged. Also, they are especially great at hiring internally. If you have your sights set on another department, don't hesitate to apply!

Cons

You really have to put the effort in to challenge yourself as you settle into the position. I can say that my experience was one of a very steep learning curve followed by a very flat plateau. To continue growing, start career planning early in the process.

"Best Of The Best"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Forrester has been the most challenging and rewarding experience of my career. I have never worked so hard or learned so much in the time I have spent here. The pace is fast and performance expectations are high. This is a company whose culture revolves around rapid annual growth and which hires the absolute best talent available through an intense interview process. When you are here, you truly feel that you are surrounded by peers that are the best of the best in their role. It is inspiring and a little intimidating.

Most long-term Forresterites are "Type A" highly motivated individuals - employees without that kind of drive and attitude may find the workload and stress to be too much after a relatively short period of time. Based on my experience, the expectation in most groups is that most people will put in 50+ hour weeks for significant chunks of the year. The reward for this high level of expected performance is an excellent culture and very competitive compensation.

If you are genuinely a highly motivated individual, you will be in good company here. If you are looking to be a "cog in the machine" somewhere and perform a typical 9-5 with nights and weekends free, it is possible that you will find more success elsewhere.

Pros:
    - Excellent culture - our HR group is deeply invested in their mandate to create the best possible environment for high performance and the CEO is equally committed to that mission.

- Compensation is excellent.

- Systems & IT support are top notch - from laptops to conference room setups to IT systems, we absolutely have the tools we need to get the job done.

- The organization feels very "flat" in the sense that C-level executives are very available and are engaged with all employees in their organizations. Most executives know everyone in the Cambridge office by name.

Cons

- Work/life balance is not optimal for people who are not highly motivated to work very hard.

- The relationship between groups can be adversarial - sales vs. product delivery, consulting vs. research, finance vs. budget stakeholders, etc. - it often feels like we are not on the same team as a company. This can create a challenging political environment which requires tact and strategy to navigate successfully, and is a frustration even for the most perspicacious.

- A list of minor gripes: In my personal opinion, the on-site cafeteria is poor, but this is not operated by Forrester. Parking on-site costs $140/month by Cambridge law - still, something about paying to park at work rubs me the wrong way. Employees are required to have a smartphone to log in to Forrester systems, and are expected to keep tabs on their calendars and work e-mails from their personal devices, but sub-management employees receive no cell phone reimbursement.

"Excellent opportunities for growth, world class exposure to top executives"

Current Employee - Researcher in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Researcher in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are incredibly smart and the work is engaging, challenging and also fun. Being on the research teams gives you access top executives at some of the world's largest companies. Managers are open-minded and help you to grow. Work life balance is excellent.

Cons

Change happens slowly
    Strategy seems to change every year