Forrester Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Forrester Chairman, President, and CEO George F. Colony
George F. Colony

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They care about work-life balance" (in 92 reviews)

• "Work with smart people who enjoy being here; people who care about doing great work" (in 89 reviews)

Cons
  • "The work can get consuming -- it's important to actively manage your work-life balance" (in 29 reviews)

• "Senior management plays that they want to know any matter no matter how big or small that may be an issue for staff" (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best culture I've experienced in my 10+ years in the business world"

Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing Culture
    Tremendous Focus on Employee Experience
    Innovative Mindset Throughout the Organization
    Transparency Among Leadership and Colleagues
    Intelligent and Thoughtful Colleagues
    Challenging the Norm is Promoted and Expected
    Respectful and Professional Environment

Cons

Sometimes the rush to be innovative can cause some inefficiencies, but the company is generally very self-aware of its areas for improvement.

Advice to Management

Excellent work...this is the best culture I've experienced after 10+ years at various companies in multiple industries.

"Research Associate"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I must say, all the positive remarks on Glassdoor are true (at least for the Cambridge office).

I've been here nearly 2 years and am incredibly impressed with the culture as a whole. Management is supportive, everyone is kind, exec's are respectful and pleasent, and I have many great friends here.

The benefits are above average.
    Upward mobility is very noticeable.
    Work/Life balance is reasonable.
    The small day to day perks and great and make time at work productive, comfortable and enjoyable.

Furthermore, the Forrester reputation proceeds itself. I'm proud to say I work here and have seen many other opportunities for which I'm qualified. The Research Associate position is a diverse role and a valuable addition to any resume.

Cons

Nothing remotely substantial worth writing about.

"Great culture, smart people, flexibility"

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are smart and business-minded. The culture values people’s time and offers great flexibility, as a result the work life balance is superb. If you are ambitious and have a strong personality, you will move up. Lots of opportunities to explore your interests, great exposure to clients at top firms, mentors who care. Constant learning and growing. A company that cares about its employees.

Cons

Change management is poor as the company pivots to offer real-time solutions. Innovation feels a bit chaotic and people feel left behind. The compensation is okay, but not competitive with those firms competing for the best talent. Parking in CDP is expensive.

Advice to Management

Invest in change management, continue the innovation work

"Principal"

I have been working at Forrester full-time

Pros

This is literally the BEST place I have ever worked. Forrester is such a unique and truly special environment. It feels like a big family not a machine. I have worked at quite a few different organizations in my time and I can confidently say I know what "good" looks like. I am thankful every day that I can work here.

Cons

The workload can get quite heavy some times

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

5. "Inspiring"

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Culture here is the real deal. Ethics and integrity run deep. I am treated with dignity and respect. I have a voice and an opportunity to make an impact. I can bring my whole self to work. I have the privilege of working with smart, supportive, colleagues who have my back. The passion of the people here is palpable. Intellectual curiosity is the lifeblood of the organization. Every day I am challenged. Every day I learn something new. Everything I’ve written here starts at the top. The CEO sets a tone of transparency and integrity and doing what’s right. My Forrester experience has been both humbling and inspiring.

Cons

Innovation and product management remain immature disciplines here. Too often we “get in our own way.”

Advice to Management

Bring in external, mature product management expertise. Streamline and simplify the organization. Keep focusing on the employee experience

"Great opportunity to grow but some limitations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of really bright people leads to great collaboration. The company culture is relatively free of politics compared with many large companies.

Employee metrics are clear. Annual bonus is based on revenue and profitability (vs. customer-impact metrics). The company is fairly customer-focused (improving each year). Great focus on innovation and creating new opportunities. Recently acquired two digital startups to accelerate Forrester's digital transformation.

Managers receive regular training and coaching. Excellent opportunity for graduates to learn about business. Opportunity to work with and influence many of the most senior executives in the world's largest companies as well as non-profits and the public sector. Offices around the world, offering opportunities to work in different countries for senior leaders. Great benefits. HR provides extensive training.

Very approachable CEO who likes to stay connected to employees.
    Many employees who leave do come back.

Cons

Not as agile as a startup ... it's not a startup ... but can be agile when it wants to be.
    Employees are regularly moved into new teams (and managers) by senior management without discussing with employees in advance.

Managers are rewarded for managing up, not providing leadership and coaching to their teams. Managers who manage-up get promoted, even if they provide poor leadership to their teams; meanwhile good team leaders who don't manage-up as well find it harder to get new opportunities.

Employees are not measured on customer impact - metrics still focus on inside-out metrics like revenue earned, research produced, tasked completed.

Consulting and Research teams appear to compete for client revenue (STILL).

Employee coaching not as good as it could be - managers should focus more on helping their teams succeed and less on reacting to their own manager's demands.

Senior leaders appear to not focus on how to help employees at the bottom of the pyramid, who engage with clients daily, be more successful.

2018 Pay rises in US below inflation rate (while CEO takes millions in dividends and executive team gets huge payouts in stocks).

Managers are quick to suggest employees own accountability ... but many managers struggle to own accountability for team performance; as a result too many managers see any failure of their team to hit their goals as a failure of individual team members, instead of a failure of their own team leadership. This can lead to pockets of low morale around the company.

HR spends too much time/resources on managers and not enough on employees who are not managers.

Many younger employees use Forrester as opportunity to beef up their resumé and move on.

Advice to Management

Managers need to focus more on how to make their team members successful; coach all managers how to lead by supporting their individual contributor (IC) team members to achieve personal and therefore team success.

Create new IC employee metrics connected to the customer - e.g. customer sat, CXi.

Remove IC accountability for SU consumption from analysts and give it to team leaders. Hold IC analysts, advisors and customer support employees accountable for customer satisfaction on every interaction.

Provide relief on goals based on vacation time taken - else vacation is simply deferment of work to be done OR allow unlimited vacation as long as work gets done/goals met.

Allow sabbaticals for longer-term employees to avoid burn out.

"Good people, disconnected senior management."

I have been working at Forrester full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- New, modern, office.
    - People will answer questions at all levels of middle management regardless of who asks.

Cons

- VP level management sit in cubes alongside line-staff. Leads to potentially overhearing sensitive information about team mates.
    - Bad communication of goals and objectives during hiring process even when pressed for success metrics. My position is entirely different than what was communicated and does not play to my strengths.
    - Senior management plays that they want to know any matter no matter how big or small that may be an issue for staff. Yet, at recent company all hands the number one online question asked by far was "What do you plan to do about low morale and burnout" It was passed over in favor of more generic questions.

Advice to Management

- Stop having the CPO responding to reviews on Glassdoor and actually have the EX staff try and get candid feedback internally. When you keep saying "all the feedback we get is so positive" it clearly shows you are asking people you know will give the answer you want or people are too scared to be honest and would rather just leave without burning a bridge.

Aug 7, 2018 – Chief People Officer

You may remember that the recent all-company meeting to which you refer was plagued by a series of technical difficulties which shortened the time for Q&A. And I, too, was disappointed that we ran... More

"Great place to work and and grow professionally!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working at Forrester for 5 years and still feel energized and excited about where Forrester is going. I love telling people I work at Forrester and see them recognize the brand etc.

Amazing employees
    Great work/life balance
    A job that is rewarding
    Benefits are good

Cons

Internal workings can be tedious and compensation could be higher. People don't work at Forrester to be the have the highest salary, they choose Forrester for the reasons I listed above in the pro's.

"Read the Reviews"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- very smart, hardworking coworkers. Everyone contributes and carries their weight
    - decent benefits
    - open floor plan/open door policy with Executives and Leadership (some may not think this is a pro, I do)
    - Looks great on your resume

Cons

- Location- It's a difficult spot to commute to and you have to pay for parking.
    - Work/Life balance- a lot of this depends on who you have as a manager. Some are great at it, others are not. You really have to push to strike a balance.
    - HR- no one feels comfortable speaking with HR/EX about issues. They constantly request Glassdoor reviews from employees they think will give them good reviews- team members even have "quota" they have to achieve for Glassdoor activity. So make sure to read each review with an open mind.

Advice to Management

Many previous reviews state the same- HR/EX shouldn't monitor these reviews as much as they do. The CPO really doesn't need to respond to every one, it makes the company look extremely defensive and then in a way, guilty of what is being said. Listening and hearing your employees complaints are very different things. Actions on issues instead of excuses would be good...

Aug 15, 2018 – Vice President, Employee Experience

Glassdoor is a valuable listening channel for Forrester – insights from prospective, current, and former employees validate what’s working and challenge us to do better. Our brand as an employer is... More

"Great people but vision is lacking"

I have been working at Forrester full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The people who work here are smart, hard working, generally great to work with
    -Fantastic brand recognition
    -Beautiful office building

Cons

-People are burning out because there is so much pressure to "innovate" with no clear vision of what the goal is. There needs to be a disciplined focus on creating a solution that will help our customers-- instead of lots of folks across the company trying to come up with the next "great idea."

Advice to Management

-Implement 360 performance reviews.
    -Ramp up the VoC program and hire more UX experts.
    -Solidify the innovation vision.

Aug 10, 2018 – VP, Performance, Leadership & Culture

We’re seeing what you’re seeing: when you tell employees—and truly mean it—that good ideas and innovation can come from anywhere, you invite a little chaos, which can lead to the frustration you’re... More