Forrester Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Forrester Chairman, President, and CEO George F. Colony
George F. Colony

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They care about work-life balance" (in 91 reviews)

• "Work with smart people who enjoy being here; people who care about doing great work" (in 90 reviews)

Cons
  • "The work can get consuming -- it's important to actively manage your work-life balance" (in 27 reviews)

• "Not enough support from senior management" (in 24 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best culture I've experienced in my 10+ years in the business world"

Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing Culture
    Tremendous Focus on Employee Experience
    Innovative Mindset Throughout the Organization
    Transparency Among Leadership and Colleagues
    Intelligent and Thoughtful Colleagues
    Challenging the Norm is Promoted and Expected
    Respectful and Professional Environment

Cons

Sometimes the rush to be innovative can cause some inefficiencies, but the company is generally very self-aware of its areas for improvement.

Advice to Management

Excellent work...this is the best culture I've experienced after 10+ years at various companies in multiple industries.

2. "Smart, hard-working, high-performing culture aimed at creating value for clients"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Forrester, you're surrounded by some of the smartest people there are. You can learn tons on the job just from exposure to our analysts and their research. If you want to get smarter on a topic, you can read a report, watch a webinar, or talk to an analyst. Knowledge isn't walled off, and everyone is encouraged to broaden their horizons. People at Forrester are highly collaborative, hard-working, and outcome-oriented. Even better, we don't just talk about it being the Age of the Customer, you see people live it in the customer-oriented way they do their jobs. Tools like Chatter enable even more sharing, to help teams coordinate, including highly visible shout-outs when goals are reached, milestones are achieved, or someone just does a good job at something. There's also lots of mobility in terms of job opportunities. It's not uncommon for a person to change parts of the company, say from Product to Sales or from Research to Product. Job shadowing and peer-learning are encouraged. It's a great place to work for people who like to work hard and want their work to mean something.

Cons

It can be hard to find a balance, so you have to enforce some of that on your own in order to keep from burning out. If you don't set limits (e.g., you check your email at all hours of the day and night), people will expect you to be available when you really shouldn't be. Also, the "Worksmart" program for remote work seems like it was designed by people who don't actually want people to work remotely. It doesn't kick in until you've been with the company for 6 months, you have to enroll in it after you get your manager's approval for the ONE set day you can work remotely, and it's not changeable except during the semi-annual open enrollment periods. It's really odd that a company that gives you tools for remote work on day 1 and that advises its clients to increase flexibility for workers has such a rigid remote work program for people who aren't 100% remote. You can generally work from home when there's bad weather or something, but that's more on an emergency basis. Every other company I've worked for, if you needed to work from home, you just notified your manager and worked from home. As long as the work got done, no one fussed. So this is a bit of a strange area for Forrester to be really inflexible.

Advice to Management

Revamp Worksmart. Make people eligible after 3 months of employment, or upon start if it's negotiated during the hiring process. Allow people to work from home more than one day a week and let it be flexible so they can change the days as they need to manage an actual work/life balance (or just let them declare work from home days as needed).

"Not Sustainable - thin-skinned leadership run scared - afraid of CEO"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Forrester full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Forrester has a wonderful heritage based on its Cambridge roots and heady days of building an exciting stable of analysts and research playbooks. Many kind, interesting and intelligent co-workers in Research who bring a much needed calm reassurance.

Cons

Notwithstanding HR’s concerted effort to organize Glassdoor activities to encourage positive reviews, there was a growing and pervasive sense over the past 5 years that the senior leadership is stuck in a kind of Groundhog Day scenario. Every year a new slate of senior sales / consulting leaders are introduced by George who proclaims his full support for the new and improved GTM model. But the LT all run/act scared, united by their anxiety of what the CEO will do next. George respects and shows a kind of doting kinship to the analysts. Everyone else knows they are expendable which generates rampant instability and turnover that doesn’t just wreak havoc on Sales, but erodes the kind of collaboration so vital in this business. There is a certain carpet-wearing exec whose abuse of others is legendary.

Advice to Management

The lifeblood of any company is sales, and sales cannot perform without the stability of sales leadership comprised of those who have been successful sales reps at FORR themselves. Create paths for sales reps to move into roles across every part of the organization, including/especially into analyst positions.

4. "Great collaboration, challenging in Europe"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great collaboration culture, good salary, willing to collaborate at any level

Cons

lack of Innovation, lack of Brand awareness in Europe, few investments to position company as top of mind of potential clients, sometimes lack of vertical focus

Advice to Management

evolve your vision of EMEA area, understanding every country has a different culture and need, not as in the US. Provide local resources the right tools and freedom to to adapt Forrester model to local dynamics

5. "Vibrant, intelligent culture combined with rewarding work"

Current Employee - Senior Strategy Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Strategy Consultant

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Energetic and collegial culture
    Breadth of client and industry support opportunities
    Project/engagement diversity
    Visible and attainable upward career path
    Our work makes a measurable and meaningful difference for our clients

Cons

Still work to do to break down some of our internal silos and truly have a cohesive ecosystem

Advice to Management

Continue the good progress already made around improving the employee experience. There's always room to innovate.

"A great place to work!"

I worked at Forrester full-time

Pros

Forrester is an idea company that values their employees and encourages innovation.

Cons

None - Forrester is a great place to work.

"I actively recommend to friends"

I have been working at Forrester full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very interesting work. I learn so much at my job everyday. Great corporate culture (flexible, WFH days, onsite gym, good management). I feel like my work is valued and that my coworkers care about my professional development.

Cons

Sometimes different departments can be a bit siloed, but I can tell that is being worked on. There is a culture of innovation but many times they could move faster.

"Forrester Family"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are smart, hard-working, and always eager to lend a helping hand. Work/life balance is excellent, and flexibility is second to none. Content is interesting, and there's a role or job for anyone, including ability to move into different departments easily.

Cons

Organizational change can be too constant, making it hard to build foundations

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in people and process

"Leadership lacks diversity and has old school processes and structure"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great consulting arm and good people within that business unit. Also open to helping in anyway. Can’t say much about other teams

Cons

Recently restructured and relocated core business unit to TN to save money on salary’s and reduce cost. This change is absolutely absurd as their HQ is in Boston which is one of the top cities for talent and technology companies in the world. This will bite them hard within 5 years.

Advice to Management

Shouldn’t have relocated core business unit to TN to save money. Those who count pennies today will end up spending dollars tomorrow. People are leaving, great people.

"A great place to work that is trying to get even better"

I have been working at Forrester full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall, I have enjoyed my experience working at Forrester. I've had access to new growth opportunities from the start, made good friends, and have been able to maintain an excellent work/life balance despite working in the demanding field of market research. The people here are smart, open-minded, and usually a little bit quirky, which I appreciate. It seems like everyone at Forrester has some passion that they find outside of work. The benefits are great including good vacation time, 401k, ESPP, and flexibility to work from home once a week. I've grown substantially in my career here, and I always have felt like people have given me the chance to embrace new opportunities. I work in the Research department.

As a company overall, I can tell that the company cares about actually improving the culture and making a better experience for employees. They're actively investing in cultural improvements and trying to be more innovative. While we still have gaps, I have faith that the executive team is trying to help us move forward.

Cons

Forrester is somewhat of a perfectionist culture, which is driven by the fact that we are full of Analysts who want to be 100% right all the time. Forrester needs to be okay with trying and failing, because failure is how you actually get stronger. That means taking more risks with our content, products, and employee offerings. We're starting to do that but I still think there's a lot the organization could do to embrace failure as a growth opportunity, rather than discard it.

The organization needs to invest in better technology too. The PCs we receive for work are pretty terrible compared to our clients, and our backend software (like expense reporting software) is almost impossible to use, which is very frustrating. The new MSFT tools are pretty hard to use as well (especially Sharepoint, which is ridiculously hard to navigate).

I'd also like Forrester to bring back the What It Means sessions of the earlier years. The analysts collaborate a lot, but we need to bring back these sessions to really hammer out our ideas and get back to what makes Forrester great: well-researched, vetted, courageous content.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to fail. Try things out and see what happens.
    Bring back the WIM sessions.
    Offer greater flexibility for remote working (i.e. 2-3 days per week, etc.)
    Invest in better technology for employees
    Continue the culture transformation