Forrester Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Forrester Chairman, President, and CEO George F. Colony
George F. Colony

Pros
  • Work life balance is exceptional (in 79 reviews)

• Lots of smart people conducting lots of research looking for ways to change the behavior of technology and marketing professionals (in 80 reviews)

Cons
  • Demanding work with lots of A-type personalities - hard to strike good work-life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Not enough support from senior management (in 23 reviews)

"A Good company for the right time of your life (also, my last year there was before 2013)"

Former Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Forrester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A terrific opportunity to learn about the technology industry; some very curious, interesting colleagues to work with; client work is fantastic

Cons

Strategic vision is lacking; struggling to differentiate and become essential in the digital economy; general sense of hubris

Advice to Management

The brand is terrific -- but it's eroding; it's 2017!!, be bold and fresh!, analysts are not cogs in your machines (if they are, you've hired the wrong analysts)

2. "Smart, intellectually curious co-workers."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time

Pros

Strong culture, smart, high-energy and intellectually curious co-workers.

Cons

Compensation is less than competitors.

"Associate Consultant"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here are intelligent, curious and motivated. As someone who loves to learn, I appreciate this in my coworkers. Great mentorship opportunities and a unique opportunity to learn about technology and research.

Cons

It is difficult and challenging to live on current compensation. Growth opportunities appear limiting and leadership needs to work on career development for younger talent.

Advice to Management

Value and develop junior level talent.

"Apply Yourself And You'll Go Far"

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people at this company are amazing and full of innovative ideas. If you apply yourself, you will continue to be intellectually challenged. Also, they are especially great at hiring internally. If you have your sights set on another department, don't hesitate to apply!

Cons

You really have to put the effort in to challenge yourself as you settle into the position. I can say that my experience was one of a very steep learning curve followed by a very flat plateau. To continue growing, start career planning early in the process.

"Best Of The Best"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Forrester has been the most challenging and rewarding experience of my career. I have never worked so hard or learned so much in the time I have spent here. The pace is fast and performance expectations are high. This is a company whose culture revolves around rapid annual growth and which hires the absolute best talent available through an intense interview process. When you are here, you truly feel that you are surrounded by peers that are the best of the best in their role. It is inspiring and a little intimidating.

Most long-term Forresterites are "Type A" highly motivated individuals - employees without that kind of drive and attitude may find the workload and stress to be too much after a relatively short period of time. Based on my experience, the expectation in most groups is that most people will put in 50+ hour weeks for significant chunks of the year. The reward for this high level of expected performance is an excellent culture and very competitive compensation.

If you are genuinely a highly motivated individual, you will be in good company here. If you are looking to be a "cog in the machine" somewhere and perform a typical 9-5 with nights and weekends free, it is possible that you will find more success elsewhere.

Pros:
    - Excellent culture - our HR group is deeply invested in their mandate to create the best possible environment for high performance and the CEO is equally committed to that mission.

- Compensation is excellent.

- Systems & IT support are top notch - from laptops to conference room setups to IT systems, we absolutely have the tools we need to get the job done.

- The organization feels very "flat" in the sense that C-level executives are very available and are engaged with all employees in their organizations. Most executives know everyone in the Cambridge office by name.

Cons

- Work/life balance is not optimal for people who are not highly motivated to work very hard.

- The relationship between groups can be adversarial - sales vs. product delivery, consulting vs. research, finance vs. budget stakeholders, etc. - it often feels like we are not on the same team as a company. This can create a challenging political environment which requires tact and strategy to navigate successfully, and is a frustration even for the most perspicacious.

- A list of minor gripes: In my personal opinion, the on-site cafeteria is poor, but this is not operated by Forrester. Parking on-site costs $140/month by Cambridge law - still, something about paying to park at work rubs me the wrong way. Employees are required to have a smartphone to log in to Forrester systems, and are expected to keep tabs on their calendars and work e-mails from their personal devices, but sub-management employees receive no cell phone reimbursement.

"Great Place To Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Forrester full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Young, vibrant culture and smart colleagues who will push you
    -Great brand recognition throughout the country
    -Perks are amazing (gym, instruments, parties, benefits, etc.)

Cons

-Changed sales org structure multiple times over the last two years and noticeable shift towards cost cutting has left employees wondering where the company may be headed

Advice to Management

Stay the course and rely on your talented salespeople to evangelize the great people on the research, data and consulting teams to drive the business forward.

"Excellent opportunities for growth, world class exposure to top executives"

Current Employee - Researcher in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Researcher in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are incredibly smart and the work is engaging, challenging and also fun. Being on the research teams gives you access top executives at some of the world's largest companies. Managers are open-minded and help you to grow. Work life balance is excellent.

Cons

Change happens slowly
    Strategy seems to change every year

9. "Senior Research Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Forrester full-time

Pros

Everyone I worked with was highly intelligent and hardworking. The management was transparent. We had quarterly company meetings where we could ask any question and got detailed information about our financials.

Cons

The pay was somewhat low and most research associates left after a year or two. It was hard to break into research teams and become analyst with credibility.

Advice to Management

n/a

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, hard working, smart people. Management and internal teams want to help support personal and team growth.

Cons

Not always given all the tools and help you need to succeed in the speed that you need to make good money.

Advice to Management

Keep working to develop new employees to drive their growth and retention.

"Great corporate foundation"

Former Employee - Director, Business Solutions in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Director, Business Solutions in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Forrester (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great culture, communication, amenities and overall polish. An amazing place to 'learn how to work' translating to great jumping off point to a position at another firm.

Cons

Not a tremendous amount of growth opportunities, below market salary, slow to change