Forrester Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Forrester Chairman, President, and CEO George F. Colony
George F. Colony

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is exceptional (in 89 reviews)

• Surrounded by smart people who challenge each other's thinking (in 86 reviews)

Cons
  • Demanding work with lots of A-type personalities - hard to strike good work-life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Not enough support from senior management (in 23 reviews)

1. "Can't ask for much more from an employer"

I have been working at Forrester full-time

Pros

The people are great! Smart (in many ways), open to new ideas, engaged, and hard working.
    Business is not afraid to make changes
    Benefits, office, company culture are outstanding!
    Constantly challenging and rewarding work with peers who are genuinely interested and willing to collaborate.
    Company is a great size - small enough to be nimble but with a very strong, established brand

Cons

Location can feel isolating
    Priorities shift so rapidly that it can be a challenge to understand the business strategy
    Flat organization means it can be difficult to map out a career here if you want growth and promotion

2. "A truly unique place to work!"

Current Employee - Director in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Extremely smart people, challenging environment, rewarding for over achievement

Cons

Need to innovate more, better entry level pay (sales)

Advice to Management

I started working here in 2008, and have seen the company change many times. I am the most hopeful and optimistic of the direction of the company that I have been since I started. Executive management understands the need to diversify across the board, not only for their employees, but to grow as a break through organization. There are still faults, and sometimes I still see/hear some of the mistakes of the past, but things are certainly moving forward. I suggest looking at other ways to recruit, new schools, groups, and organizations, that way a new diversified pool of qualified candidates will be at your disposal.

"Forrester Cares"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Forrester full-time

Pros

The people here are stellar and that’s what makes Forrester such a great company to work for! I love that the executive team is transparent. They truly engage with all employees throughout the entire organization.

Work/Life balance is excellent. Some days I may have to come in early or work late but I also have the flexibility to compensate for that on other days. I'm also given the freedom to make decisions and to complete work in whatever way I think is best. However, my manager is always there to lend a hand when needed.

Forrester also has great employee programs/perks and vacation time.

Cons

Compensation can be a little lower but I value work/life balance more.

"Great people, great balance, needs to make a big move"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You work with exceptionally bright and motivated people. You will 100% be challenged and given the opportunity to learn each day. Work/life balance is excellent. Several opportunities for career exploration and advancement, especially for those who may be earlier in their careers. Great brand recognition in the market and on your resume.

Cons

Really lacking any disruptive innovation or strategic direction around our business model to address stagnated sales and client growth.

Leadership has a quick trigger finger and makes sweeping changes across the sales org structure without letting the strategy gain enough runway to perform. Four sales models in 4+ years.

Cambridge HQ location makes it seem like your workforce was an afterthought.

Salaries not competitive for Boston area.

Advice to Management

Org structure and sales leadership aren't the issue; it's the product, and will continue to be the product until we take some risk and innovate in a big way. Make a disruptive acquisition or bring in fresh leadership. We're riding in Gartner's wake - chart a new course.

"Opportunitites to grow and meet great friends along the way"

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Opportunities to grow professionally and create your own career path
    -Leadership has made a strong investment in creating a culture of learning, innovation and collaboration
    -The people

Cons

The location isn't ideal for most

Advice to Management

-Keep providing opportunities for employees to grow and flex new muscles

"Wonderful people, room for improvement"

Current Employee - Product Organization in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Product Organization in Boston, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing culture of intelligent, warm, funny, driven people.

Cons

Inconsistent leadership quality. Mediocrity is sometimes tolerated for far too long. We have many siloes and a somewhat unclear identity as a company (Who do we want to be?)

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at the quality of your leaders. There are some gems, but many others that need immense help and training. Work harder to retain good people. Far too many talented, ramped, and embedded people leave because they are underpaid, undervalued, and/or have a lousy manager. Also, stop bragging about how great our pay and benefits are. Let the employees say that.

"Valuable perspectives, proud heritage and healthy self-reflection"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

With polished external research and advisory for clients, transparent internal communication for employees, smart and motivated colleagues, generational diversity, a relatively flat hierarchy, accessible leadership, and a global footprint, Forrester punches well above its weight in the corporate world and establishes an environment of learning and leading. Open minds make opportunity here.

Cons

Would benefit from more deliberate collaboration across business functions.

Advice to Management

Keep sharpening the saw.

"Constant evolution"

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked here for many years and one of the things I do like is that we are constantly evolving as a company. Some people would say that there might be too much change but, for me it's one of the reasons I've stayed here for so long. We are constantly adapting, innovating, improving. I love that.

Cons

My recent experience has been that I've been seeing more "favoritism" coming from management levels in my division. Seems that some people are getting the more favorable assignments simply because a manager takes a liking to them. That is unfortunate.

Advice to Management

Don't assume you know what people's areas of expertise are. Management should do periodic checks to make sure that people with rich backgrounds aren't being overlooked for key assignments and projects.

"Great place to learn, grow and thrive"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Innovative and open work - new ideas are welcomed and considered
    Intelligent colleagues - get to learn from some of the industry's most respected subject matter experts
    Focus on culture - we have wellness, volunteer and fun programming to help network internally and provide a fun atmosphere outside of the regular work on a day to day
    Compensation - relatively competitive
    Growth - opportunities to thrive in current role, receive promotions relatively quickly if you work hard, many opportunities for additional trainings

Cons

Internal Bottle-necking - sometimes hard to get results because of internal processes
    Inconsistent communication between departments
    Managers are not always well equipped to coach in your day to day, but more at a high level around internal brand and professional development overall

Advice to Management

Listen to our research, be fully customer obsessed. Remove internal barriers to success.

"Excellent lifestyle"

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people here are excellent, and it allows for a really great balance between work and the rest of your life. There are high expectations for performance, but that doesn't mean you have to give up everything else. There's also a lot of ways you can move through your career at the company. People are very open to helping you grow.

Cons

There continue to be silos within the organization that can make it difficult to collaborate. There's a lot of work underway to improve this, but it can make life hard at times. We also can be far too quick to make very big structural or strategic changes (i.e. we never wait long enough to find out if a fix to a problem actually did anything).