Forrester Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Forrester Chairman, President, and CEO George F. Colony
George F. Colony

Pros
  • Work life balance is exceptional (in 79 reviews)

• Lots of smart people conducting lots of research looking for ways to change the behavior of technology and marketing professionals (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • Demanding work with lots of A-type personalities - hard to strike good work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Not enough support from senior management (in 23 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Forrester has a soul"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Why have I stayed at Forrester for 15 years? The company has a soul. This is a culture of intellectual curiosity, passion, integrity, and respect. I am surrounded by colleagues who inspire me every day with their intelligence, quality of work, and commitment to do the right thing. I feel accountable to inspire them; to elevate their potential and experience. At Forrester, my voice has value. Executives much smarter than me not only know my name, they ask for, and listen to, my opinion. I have been given multiple opportunities to grow into new roles and responsibilities, each time both terrifying and exhilarating. This is a culture of discovery, where I am always learning and always teaching. This is a place with a sense of humor and a sense of humanity. In short, Forrester’s values are my values.

Come to Forrester to challenge yourself. Come to Forrester to grow. Come to Forrester to make an impact.

Cons

We are too risk averse; not enough product innovation.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the importance of culture and employee experience. While other companies talk about “perks” such as free food, it’s Forrester’s strong culture that is memorable and sustainable.

Forrester Response

Sep 29, 2016 – CEO

Thank you very much for these kind words about this company that we all know and love. I'd like to imagine that I can figure out who you are, but there are a lot of fantastic Forresterites who have ... More

"Forrester - much is expected but great place to work for the right people."

Current Employee - Account Director in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Account Director in Cambridge, MA

Pros

The essential asset Forrester has is its people. The company is populated with with very smart, reasoned people. Most have both strong academic backgrounds together will successful practitioner experience. The company is well respected and treats its clients like gold. Forrester delivers on what it promises, both internally and externally. Even with a staff of over 1000 people there is very little office politics and associated drama. Again, this is a product of having mature and competent hires. Although much is expected and the work is rigorous, there are always strong rewards for performing to plan - both personally and professionally.

Cons

Long hours are required, this is not for everyone. High levels of competence is required at all times. The company does not offer dogma and contrarian thinking is encourage. But again, this is not an environment for the uninspired. Average energy and average ability folks will feel uncomfortable here. For some positions the demands make work/life balance harder to manage then some firms. The company does a great job at providing all of it's employees with the technology and tools to take the mechanical tasks away - or at least minimize - from the day to day. This is work only fitted for self starters.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

3. "Working at Forrester is truly a unique experience!"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Working at Forrester is challenging yet rewarding. The company does a great job at balancing a casual atmosphere with high expectations on performance. Very fast paced and quite different that being "on the industry side", so it's not necessarily for everyone. But, for the right person, it's truly a great place to be.

Cons

Given the pace of the work, and the pace of change here, you can sometimes feel like a hamster running in the wheel. I've seen people come an go pretty quickly because of that. After a bit of a "break in" period, the right people find their rhythm, roll with the changes, and do really well here.

Advice to Management

Our internal mantra is 4C2Q1S (it's on the back of our business cards). My advice to senior management is: Never forget the first "C" - CLIENTS

"Forrester the best Company on the planet to work for"

Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

Pros

Forrester Research has a small company feel with big company bennefits. They give you access to anything you could need to be successful. Forrester has full bennefits, you have access to the senior management for any questions, they span the globe, and we grow at 20% a year.

People that have left Forrester , eventually come back, because this is such a great environment.

Cons

the main office being in Boston sometimes makes it harder for upper managment to see your potential, but if you do your job the immediate managers will be more than happy to help you on your career path.

Advice to Management

none

"Best job of my career"

Current Employee - Strategic Growth in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Strategic Growth in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Forrester has a collaborative environment, unique culture, career growth. This is an environment that supports individual employee development. I always feel that my voice is heard. The executive team is very visible. Great work-life balance. It's also a very transparent company- you always know where you stand, what you are doing right (or wrong) and what you need to do to get to the next level in your career. Promotions are fair. Compensation is fair. Though we have a selective interview process, Forrester hires great people. The work is interesting. The people are great.

Cons

Company still growing fast.. there are growing pains, but I think we're doing a good job of figuring it out.

Advice to Management

Always stay tuned into employees at all levels. One of the things that makes Forrester a great place to work is that the executive team stays connected with the entire company.

7. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Great culture, financial success, clear strategy, smart people. Whether people agree with the direction or not, the company seems to know where it's going. Acquisition of JupiterResearch should provide a big boost to the Marketing and Strategy side of the business. Increasing investment in people -- development, etc. Stock keeps moving in the right direction!

Cons

Compensation not top of the market. Fast growth has led to some discontinuities -- but all things considered, the culture and the values are holding up well as the company scales.

Advice to Management

Continue to be clear about the strategy, and share information about how we're doing.

8. "Great place to work, could celebrate company wide successes a little more."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Highly, highly transparent, fun loving culture. Intense in all aspects and for everyone across the organization. Very, very flat, no one has an office and everyone is accessible. Ideas matter at every level. Change and continuous improvement are constants but long term vision is clear. Global organization with nice office locations. Maturing to a professionalism and tenor comensurate with its size, but still a unique place. Overall, a great place to work..

Cons

For a company with overall success, company history is underappreciated. Very, very quarterly focused; hence long term gains sometimes under recognized. Under investment in employee and management development has lead to some growing pains.

Advice to Management

Consider whether there might be advantages in moving away from quarterly focus. Maintain passion for ideas and commitment to innovation (i.e. FLBs & Data).

9. "Incredibly smart people and significant opportunities to grow ... if you are pro-active"

Current Employee - Specialist in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Cambridge, MA

Pros

1. The people ... some of the brightest yet well rounded people i have ever met.
    2. The exposure ... from day 1, you are expected to have an opinion and to share it ... that means if you're a jr. professional or a sr. one your insight matters. The infrastructure is very flat which lets you grow very quickly
    3. The flexibility ... I can choose to work a day from home here and there and it's not a big deal at all, which makes things very comfortable.

Cons

Fast Moving - Forrester is constantly changing ... so if you are someone who needs process and things to stay the same ... it can be challenging

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate the way internal promotions are treated vs. hires from the outside.

10. "Sales can be fun"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

Name recognition of Forrester
    team orientation
    support of upper mgt
    benefits package
    vacation, medical leave, and bonus days off
    sales spiffs are fun

Cons

Money back guarantee puts your paid commissions at risk for one full year, even
    if you no longer manage the account

Advice to Management

Reconsider punishing salespeople up to 12 months later for a client
    invoking the money back guarantee for non-service related reasons

"Open culture and great people to work with"

Current Employee - Research Director in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Research Director in Cambridge, MA

Pros

-- Fast growing company with a lot of opportunities
    -- Excellent people to work with
    -- Very open culture
    -- Entrepreneurial spirit
    -- A place where you ask for forgiveness, not permission
    -- Great promote from within mentality

Cons

-- Advancements can take longer than anticipated
    -- Promote from within doesn't pay as well
    -- Can still be a very political environment

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to be less sales oriented and more in touch with the product teams (Consulting, FLB, and Research)