Forrester Reviews | Glassdoor

Forrester Reviews

Updated October 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is exceptional (in 86 reviews)

• Surrounded by smart people who challenge each other's thinking (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Demanding work with lots of A-type personalities - hard to strike good work-life balance (in 24 reviews)

• Not enough support from senior management (in 23 reviews)

"Wonderful company offering never-ending opportunities to learn"

Current Employee - Leadership Boards in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Leadership Boards in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Positive culture
    -Transparency and easy access to executives
    -Never ending amount to learn - you can truly never get through all of the research that we have to offer
    -Job growth for self-advocators
    -Management that truly cares about what happens to you
    -Everyone works extremely hard

Cons

-Job growth timeline is largely dependent on availability of roles/budget
    - Location of the office
    -Work/Life balance can at times be difficult - everyone goes above and beyond, that can lead to working long hours and never separating from email!

Advice to Management

Keep the lines of communication open and continue to be transparent. It is recognized by the employee base, and noticed that you respect one another immensely.

"Unparalleled coaching and career development"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked in several different parts of the business and found one constant: smart, kind people who are dedicated to their work and one another. I have had unparalleled managers who care about me as a person and growing my career.

The expectations for performance are high. We work hard and acknowledge that all of us have lives outside of work, too. I appreciate the chance to work from home once a week, and I love being in the San Francisco office.

Cons

This is a 30+ year old business, so the pace of change can feel slow. But our industry is shifting, so we need to transform, too.
    Internal competition for resources divides energy and efforts, distracts from the larger work.

Advice to Management

Paint a clear vision for the future that includes what we are not going to do. Look for goals/incentives that reward building rather than competing.

3. "Building Momentum"

Current Employee - Change Management Leader in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Change Management Leader in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Leadership is making good changes.
    I really enjoy and respect my colleagues.
    Our performance is improving.

Cons

Still have room to grow in how we collaborate.

Advice to Management

Keep the heat on better and faster innovation. Break down the remaining silos between each of you and your organizations.

"Opportunitites to grow and meet great friends along the way"

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Opportunities to grow professionally and create your own career path
    -Leadership has made a strong investment in creating a culture of learning, innovation and collaboration
    -The people

Cons

The location isn't ideal for most

Advice to Management

-Keep providing opportunities for employees to grow and flex new muscles

"Wonderful people, room for improvement"

Current Employee - Product Organization in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Product Organization in Boston, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing culture of intelligent, warm, funny, driven people.

Cons

Inconsistent leadership quality. Mediocrity is sometimes tolerated for far too long. We have many siloes and a somewhat unclear identity as a company (Who do we want to be?)

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at the quality of your leaders. There are some gems, but many others that need immense help and training. Work harder to retain good people. Far too many talented, ramped, and embedded people leave because they are underpaid, undervalued, and/or have a lousy manager. Also, stop bragging about how great our pay and benefits are. Let the employees say that.

"Valuable perspectives, proud heritage and healthy self-reflection"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

With polished external research and advisory for clients, transparent internal communication for employees, smart and motivated colleagues, generational diversity, a relatively flat hierarchy, accessible leadership, and a global footprint, Forrester punches well above its weight in the corporate world and establishes an environment of learning and leading. Open minds make opportunity here.

Cons

Would benefit from more deliberate collaboration across business functions.

Advice to Management

Keep sharpening the saw.

"Constant evolution"

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked here for many years and one of the things I do like is that we are constantly evolving as a company. Some people would say that there might be too much change but, for me it's one of the reasons I've stayed here for so long. We are constantly adapting, innovating, improving. I love that.

Cons

My recent experience has been that I've been seeing more "favoritism" coming from management levels in my division. Seems that some people are getting the more favorable assignments simply because a manager takes a liking to them. That is unfortunate.

Advice to Management

Don't assume you know what people's areas of expertise are. Management should do periodic checks to make sure that people with rich backgrounds aren't being overlooked for key assignments and projects.

"Great place to learn, grow and thrive"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Innovative and open work - new ideas are welcomed and considered
    Intelligent colleagues - get to learn from some of the industry's most respected subject matter experts
    Focus on culture - we have wellness, volunteer and fun programming to help network internally and provide a fun atmosphere outside of the regular work on a day to day
    Compensation - relatively competitive
    Growth - opportunities to thrive in current role, receive promotions relatively quickly if you work hard, many opportunities for additional trainings

Cons

Internal Bottle-necking - sometimes hard to get results because of internal processes
    Inconsistent communication between departments
    Managers are not always well equipped to coach in your day to day, but more at a high level around internal brand and professional development overall

Advice to Management

Listen to our research, be fully customer obsessed. Remove internal barriers to success.

"Excellent lifestyle"

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people here are excellent, and it allows for a really great balance between work and the rest of your life. There are high expectations for performance, but that doesn't mean you have to give up everything else. There's also a lot of ways you can move through your career at the company. People are very open to helping you grow.

Cons

There continue to be silos within the organization that can make it difficult to collaborate. There's a lot of work underway to improve this, but it can make life hard at times. We also can be far too quick to make very big structural or strategic changes (i.e. we never wait long enough to find out if a fix to a problem actually did anything).

10. "Amazing, supporting people, and typical growing pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We continue to attract some of the best talent, and even better, great people. It's very much an open door policy and leaders will create the space for high performers to stretch new muscles.

Cons

I don't think Forrester's challenges are unique. As we've grown, we tend to 'forresterize' things too much, sometimes overcomplicating a process or product offering.

Advice to Management

Align! I'm certain if you align your goals and initiatives (and by align, I mean truly align), it'll trickle down. That goes for innovation too...if you are creating the space for people, it'll get easier for the next level down to do the same.