Forrester Reviews | Glassdoor

Forrester Reviews

Updated March 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Work life balance is exceptional (in 79 reviews)

• Lots of smart people conducting lots of research looking for ways to change the behavior of technology and marketing professionals (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • Demanding work with lots of A-type personalities - hard to strike good work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Not enough support from senior management (in 23 reviews)

1. "Continually Challenged To Deliver Customer Value"

Current Employee - Vice President and Principal Analyst in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Vice President and Principal Analyst in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Forrester provides a dynamic opportunity -- the company keeps morphing to keep up with the needs of demanding customers. New opportunities keep emerging -- including the chance to innovate how Forrester creates and delivers value. And to a large degree, this results from Forrester's customers. Forrester serves multiple roles in technology management (IT) and in sales and marketing -- which means the mix of customer needs constantly changes.

Cons

There is no such thing as coasting at Forrester. If you want to work hard -- against changing expectations -- it's the place for you. If you seek a consistent job which will be the same year-in and year-out, then look somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Keep paying attention to your people as you lead the company through change! Recognize that they have to work through change just as does the company.

"Good culture and work environment .... Sometimes."

Current Employee - Events in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Events in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent vacation perks, fun activities monthly/quarterly, free food, free awesome coffee, growth opportunities if you work hard! VPs and managers are always willing to meet with anyone from the org which gives everyone a great opportunity to network and pursue different careers within the org. They really prefer to promote from within which is great.

Cons

Not enough support from senior management. Rare raises or opportunity to grow for those who work hard. Much of the focus is on growing sales but you need resources to support the sales function. Almost everyone is drowning in work. Always expect more growth but never provide enough resources to support that growth. Communication between senior management and those who do the work is terrible. Poor technology and not enough investment in BT teams to transform into a digital business.

Advice to Management

Treat your workers that you want to hold onto with rewards and respect. Don't focus only on increasing sales when the rest of the org is swamped. Invest in technology that transforms the org into a better digital business that helps your employees. Follow the advice you write in your research.

3. "Marketing Advisor"

Pros

Great culture and great people.

Cons

The location can be challenging.

"Apply Yourself And You'll Go Far"

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people at this company are amazing and full of innovative ideas. If you apply yourself, you will continue to be intellectually challenged. Also, they are especially great at hiring internally. If you have your sights set on another department, don't hesitate to apply!

Cons

You really have to put the effort in to challenge yourself as you settle into the position. I can say that my experience was one of a very steep learning curve followed by a very flat plateau. To continue growing, start career planning early in the process.

"Best Of The Best"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Forrester has been the most challenging and rewarding experience of my career. I have never worked so hard or learned so much in the time I have spent here. The pace is fast and performance expectations are high. This is a company whose culture revolves around rapid annual growth and which hires the absolute best talent available through an intense interview process. When you are here, you truly feel that you are surrounded by peers that are the best of the best in their role. It is inspiring and a little intimidating.

Most long-term Forresterites are "Type A" highly motivated individuals - employees without that kind of drive and attitude may find the workload and stress to be too much after a relatively short period of time. Based on my experience, the expectation in most groups is that most people will put in 50+ hour weeks for significant chunks of the year. The reward for this high level of expected performance is an excellent culture and very competitive compensation.

If you are genuinely a highly motivated individual, you will be in good company here. If you are looking to be a "cog in the machine" somewhere and perform a typical 9-5 with nights and weekends free, it is possible that you will find more success elsewhere.

Pros:
    - Excellent culture - our HR group is deeply invested in their mandate to create the best possible environment for high performance and the CEO is equally committed to that mission.

- Compensation is excellent.

- Systems & IT support are top notch - from laptops to conference room setups to IT systems, we absolutely have the tools we need to get the job done.

- The organization feels very "flat" in the sense that C-level executives are very available and are engaged with all employees in their organizations. Most executives know everyone in the Cambridge office by name.

Cons

- Work/life balance is not optimal for people who are not highly motivated to work very hard.

- The relationship between groups can be adversarial - sales vs. product delivery, consulting vs. research, finance vs. budget stakeholders, etc. - it often feels like we are not on the same team as a company. This can create a challenging political environment which requires tact and strategy to navigate successfully, and is a frustration even for the most perspicacious.

- A list of minor gripes: In my personal opinion, the on-site cafeteria is poor, but this is not operated by Forrester. Parking on-site costs $140/month by Cambridge law - still, something about paying to park at work rubs me the wrong way. Employees are required to have a smartphone to log in to Forrester systems, and are expected to keep tabs on their calendars and work e-mails from their personal devices, but sub-management employees receive no cell phone reimbursement.

"Senior Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Surrounded by smart people who challenge each other's thinking. A great platform for thought leadership.

Cons

Changing individual goals and uncertain business strategy

"Great Place to Learn"

I worked at Forrester full-time

Pros

Lots of training and coaching from my manager, direct access to manager

Cons

Limited room for growth

"Great Place To Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Forrester full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Young, vibrant culture and smart colleagues who will push you
    -Great brand recognition throughout the country
    -Perks are amazing (gym, instruments, parties, benefits, etc.)

Cons

-Changed sales org structure multiple times over the last two years and noticeable shift towards cost cutting has left employees wondering where the company may be headed

Advice to Management

Stay the course and rely on your talented salespeople to evangelize the great people on the research, data and consulting teams to drive the business forward.

"Excellent opportunities for growth, world class exposure to top executives"

Current Employee - Researcher in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Researcher in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are incredibly smart and the work is engaging, challenging and also fun. Being on the research teams gives you access top executives at some of the world's largest companies. Managers are open-minded and help you to grow. Work life balance is excellent.

Cons

Change happens slowly
    Strategy seems to change every year

"Curious Environment, Incredible Culture"

Current Employee - Account Development Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Account Development Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Though only four months in, it is so evident that collaboration, curiosity, and integrity are engraned in the Forrester culture. The training programs are in-depth and beneficial, and the transparency of the executive team is outstanding (and rare!) I feel empowered to grow not just in my current role, but within the company long-term.

Cons

Understandably so, it takes quite some time to fully grasp Forrester's solutions. They are complex! Pairing this knowledge along with the strategies and challenges of our clients is not immediately intuitive. If you are a quick learner, know that there will be a bit of a curve -- but that's all part of the fun.

Advice to Management

Through training, I've enjoyed connecting with employees and departments that I do not normally interact with. I'd love to have more formal opportunities -- trainings, events, workshops -- to do so.