Forrester Reviews | Glassdoor

Forrester Reviews

Updated June 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Work life balance is exceptional (in 82 reviews)

• Very smart people throughout the organization (in 83 reviews)

"Mixed Bag"

Former Employee - Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Forrester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Some super-smart people - in all areas
    - Genuine desire to help clients
    - Great opportunities to engage with, and build, network
    - Learning / development opportunities - if you take them

Cons

- Insane focus on sales metrics (to the detriment of research and client product)
    - Most senior management (especially CEO) suffer from false belief that they are right all the time
    - Too many research staff have no experience of working in the real world (or experience is 20+ years old)
    - Challenge Thinking (MAYBE), Lead Change (NO WAY)

Advice to Management

- Get more real world experience
    - CEO should realise he is not the expert he thinks he is (that's why you employ smart people) and step back
    - Sales metrics are not appropriate for measuring everything

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Highly independent working environment
    Super-intelligent and professional coworkers
    Sophisticated, brand-name clients
    High degree of autonomy
    Fast-paced and demanding

Cons

Executive founder too influential on strategy
    Slow to adapt to market change
    Insular management
    Limited equity upside and opportunity

Advice to Management

Retire. It's time for a new guard.

"A Rewarding and Challenging Experience"

Current Employee - Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Out of all the places I have worked at in my career, Forrester is where I find myself surrounded the best and the brightest employees. When I come to work I know my colleagues are going to bring their A game and it helps me bring mine. I think what I love the most is the fact that when I leave work each day I feel intellectually stimulated and that I have accomplished something important. The reward for the hard work is being seen as a thought leader and being able to drive actionable change in the ways the world's biggest companies do business. It's certainly no easy task, but the various managers I've had over the years have enabled me to be successful at every turn.

Cons

It is true what they say, there is a lot of change, but if you're business is going to compete at a high level it needs to be able to reinvent itself as needed. Now some people don't fare too well with change, and for them they may struggle. For those that handle change well, it becomes an enabler for career growth.

Advice to Management

More actively look for opportunities for us to leverage our research and engage our analysts to help us to continue to differentiate with the products, services, and experiences we bring to market.

"Great place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Vice President - Technology Management in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Vice President - Technology Management in Cambridge, MA

Pros

The execs are grounded and approachable (and mostly affable). You have an opportunity to make a difference, take charge of your own career and aspirations. The culture is one that fosters accountability and action in all of us. I've been working at Forrester for 18 years and still feel appreciated and I am still able to do rewarding and meaningful work. Never a dull moment here either.

Cons

Sometimes slow to get everyone on the innovation bandwagon but it is improving. The location is not the best if you are looking for easy access to lunch and after work spots. The area is expanding but you still need to jump on the T or grab your car to find something fun for lunch - although there are lots of Forrester social things every week on site. Make sure to understand the compensation package and how bonus is earned and paid out. It is not out of the ordinary but...

Advice to Management

Continue to promote and embrace innovation and change and continue to drive accountability in all of us.

"A place to build your career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester (More than 10 years)

Pros

Forrester is a great place to work. I'm sure most readers of this review see this a thousand times for other companies...but let me tell you why it's the case here. I've been at the company for over 15 years and started in a junior role. I was given the opportunity to explore almost every part of the organization in various jobs and am now part of the leadership team. What's the point you might ask? The point is that the opportunity to grow your career here is limitless if you want to work hard and take on new challenges. If that's of interest, then this is the place for you.

In addition, if you're looking for a place to collaborate with an incredible group of people that will result in lifelong friendships because of the culture that's fostered here, then this is the place for you.

If you enjoy working in a highly collaborative team environment where you have the permission to challenge your colleagues, and they can challenge you to come up with better end results, then this is the place for you.

I have, and continue to value my time here, the opportunities I've had and friends I've made. As I mentioned above, Forrester is a great place to work...hopefully I've made it a little more clear why that carries weight now. :)

Cons

I'd say we are too risk averse and need to be more aggressive on new product development.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster the incredible culture and get more aggressive on new products.

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Top management is very open and friendly. Company meetings are engaging and interactive; the employees are very aware of the strategic direction the company is headed and how they fit into the plan.

Cons

-Racism is at its peak at this company. Please DO NOT work here if you're black...(except you have no choice ofcourse)
    -Managers are not really trained to be managers, they just automatically become managers because they've been at the company for a long time. This then creates bad employee experiences that top management knows nothing about.

Advice to Management

You need to actually train managers to manage and mentor other people.Not just to oversee work.

Forrester Response

Sep 21, 2016 – Chief People Officer

I find your comments regarding racism deeply distressing, personally, as a professional and as a Forrester employee. Discrimination, in any form, is simply not tolerated at Forrester. In a ... More

"Great corporate foundation"

Former Employee - Director, Business Solutions in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Director, Business Solutions in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Forrester (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great culture, communication, amenities and overall polish. An amazing place to 'learn how to work' translating to great jumping off point to a position at another firm.

Cons

Not a tremendous amount of growth opportunities, below market salary, slow to change

"Passion and Commitment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester (Less than a year)

Pros

Leadership is highly committed to the culture and employee experience. Many companies say it but few do it and Forrester does it really, really well!

Cons

Haven't identified any so far

"Once great, should be again"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Forrester full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing colleagues, great access, strong brand

Cons

Everything is DIY, tech is outdated, strategy is never achieved

Advice to Management

This is one of the more powerful brands in professional research, but without more investment in infrastructure, people, and the product, it seems to be spiraling. Attrition of product, sales staff hurts relationships with customers. Make the business simpler and more modern, and it will grow again.

""I feel respected and valued""

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What I like most about Forrester is that they don't have to boast about their "culture" - it simply comes to life everyday:
    - through the people
    - in the direct line of sight from what the CEO says and what we do
    - in the leaders who ask, who listen and who act
    - in the success clients achieve with our thought leadership
    - in the steady stream of new, thought provoking insight and learning

The overall environment at Forrester makes me want to be engaged:
    - to work hard to deliver results
    - to contribute beyond my role to help others
    - to learn something new everyday
    - to share improvement ideas

Cons

Still using traditional sales productivity metrics.

Advice to Management

Step up pace of maturing Social Selling.