Fort Bend County, TX Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Benefits"

Former Employee - Clerk in Rosenberg, TX
    Former Employee - Clerk in Rosenberg, TX

I worked at Fort Bend County, TX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits offered are very good.

Cons

Time off accrual is not great.

2. "I always took pride in working for the County. I knew I was making a difference impacting my community"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, TX

I worked at Fort Bend County, TX full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Being able to take pride in your position knowing you're helping your local community overall. All insurance is terrible, however the premium was moderately low compared to public entities and small businesses. You have a no option choice to put 7% in a retire account that's not driven by stock m, but by what you put in and the amount of years... head my warning though DO NOT WITHDRAWAL! Now the cons.

Cons

The directors and upper management are the same groups of people who started at the county at a young and as a group they have banded together under a "good ole boys" system. I also realized they take the "whistleblower" law to the extreme when this law is reserved for only extreme instances... NOT small, more often that not, lies/over embellishments. For example, and extra 15 minute break when all reality is was a bathroom break/steps going to another floor. This "good ole boys" system made it impossible to take extreme cases to HR, or apply to other positions within the County simply because your director would ALWAYS find out even if you checked off that applications and complaints were to remain anonymous. To top it off yes they go through all the "law advising " steps for termination, however they still seem to miss one or two loops holes, this is great if it weren't for the fact that the unemployment office will always take the County side regardless of how much proof is submitted and how many steps they missed.

Advice to Management

Your staff is a direct reflection of YOU and how well YOU lead. A poor leader has poor employees and a great leader, who takes the time to motivate, encourage and offer a very slight pat on the back for really trying hard. HR needs to be completely unbiased, regardless of STATURE and longevity. A 30 year employee offers absolutely ZERO more than a newcomer. Based on scientific statistics the newcomer will ALWAYS surpass due to having schooling, ability to compare processes to other positions and being able to offer enhancement across ALL aspects of the department.

3. "Old Mentality"

Former Employee - Officer
    Former Employee - Officer

I worked at Fort Bend County, TX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Insurance, Time Off and

Cons

Old school mentality, no pay raises

4. "Not too bad"

Former Employee - Clerk
    Former Employee - Clerk

I worked at Fort Bend County, TX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

pay and benefits were outstanding

Cons

gossipy co-workers, management caters to their friends before others

Advice to Management

treat everyone equal

5. "Toxic Work Environment!"

Former Employee - Applications Support in Richmond, TX
    Former Employee - Applications Support in Richmond, TX

I worked at Fort Bend County, TX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I cannot think of a single one.

Cons

• Extremely toxic work environment.
    • Unprofessional atmosphere.
    • Supervisors openly impose their personal political and religious views on their subordinates.
    • Management style: Mushroom Management.
    • Management gaslights their staff.
    • Management is childish, petty, and vindictive.
    • HR is useless unless a dispute involves an abuse of a protected class.
    • Less-educated supervisors are threatened by their higher-educated subordinates.

Advice to Management

Please stop presenting your subordinate's ideas as your own.
    Hire managers with actual management experience.
    IT supervisors should have, at least, a 4-year degree from an accredited university.
    Management should be subject to annual performance reviews, enrolled in quality leadership courses from an accredited institution(s), and not routinely throw subordinates under the bus.

6. "Librarian"

I have been working at Fort Bend County, TX full-time

Pros

Staff members are kind and patrons are, for the most part, respectful.

Cons

Can be a bit too conservative with ideas.

7. "Deputy Sheriff"

I have been working at Fort Bend County, TX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helpful supervisor and friendly staff

Cons

Long work hours. Mandatory overtime

Advice to Management

No complaints on management

8. "Good people, crappy pay"

I have been working at Fort Bend County, TX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people that work there are great. They are really good about hiring with in.

Cons

The pay is mediocre. Not enough to live comfortably but not low enough to be considered poverty.

"Part Time Circulation - Library"

Former Employee - Library Clerk in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Library Clerk in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Fort Bend County, TX part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros- Flexibility and good immediate manager.

Cons

Cons- Coworkers and lack of strong management.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate what all needs to be done to keep employees. There seems to be a lot of turnover. Look into it and properly address these issue immediately.

"Toxic workplace Toxic Management"

Former Employee - Library
    Former Employee - Library

I worked at Fort Bend County, TX part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Any pros that may exist are canceled out by the many cons that do exist

Cons

Lack of intelligent leadership, they rely on you and abuse you at the same time. Bullies are allowed to hold decade long management positions and freely abuse their power without any consequences. Unprofessional, unethical, mediocre managers answer to no one and they know that and that's why they have no fear about behaving inappropriately, unprofessionally or unethically. Employee relations does not support the employee, so if you work in this system don't expect fair treatment if your issue is with management. Managers will subtly let you know that you are meaningless and have no voice. The county rather get rid of and replace you then have to invest time in replacing horrific managers. Management treats the work environment like a dictatorship; they think they have the right to dictate who you talk to and what you talk about, they expect you to run every single syllable by them before you speak/write it, and not because it's critical to the work, they do it just to purposely disparage you. Not being able to read their mind and know what color highlighter they want you to use could be a reason for termination. Initiative and competence is a punishable act in this type of lunatic work environment.

Advice to Management

Seek professional counseling to help you deal with your inability to be a decent, ethical, civilized and professional person. Understand that strangers who work under you are not put on this earth to be the targets for your pent up angry or bitterness. If you aren't good with humans, then don't take jobs in management. Recognize that your need to bully and belittle people should be done on your own personal time and not done in the workplace.

Fort Bend County, TX Response

Sep 25, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that it did not work out. We strive to provide great service to everyone, including our wonderful Employees. Our FBC Human Resources team would of loved to... More