Fortegra Reviews | Glassdoor

"Leadership Development Program"

Former Employee - Ldp Associate
    Former Employee - Ldp Associate

I worked at Fortegra full-time

Pros

1. The program equips you with a wholistic perspective on how to operate a business. The rotational aspect of the program is a virtue.

2. Great company culture.

3. (Open-Door policy) Access to senior management which enables you to pick their minds if your ambitious and inquisitive.

4. I was able to work directly with the CFO on a couple of big projects that had a significant impact on the direction of the company.

5. Very supportive if you are ambitious. The program paid for my material to learn how to automate with Microsoft Excel. Once I learned the material, I was able to automate monotonous month-end processes. The biggest benefit is that I was able to walk away with a skill that I will use years down the road.

I can honestly say that this program cultivated me into the young entrepreneur that I am today. It really shaped my perspective on how to operate a business efficiently. The program was also a great opportunity to shape my soft-skills as well. I was able to attend toast masters, join the JAX Chamber of Commerce, and attend a few other events through the LDP Program.

Cons

The LDP program does not pay extra if you have a Master's Degree.

I wouldn't label this a con but be prepared to deal with different management styles as you rotate throughout the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to be active in shaping the perspective of the LDPs. More meetings with the CEO would be an added benefit.

2. "Leadership Development Program"

Current Employee - Leadership Development Program Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Leadership Development Program Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Fortegra (Less than a year)

Pros

The program is an extremely unique opportunity for young professionals to develop quickly if they are willing to put the time and effort in to add value to a growing company. Within the first four months in the program, I was given the chance to present a project I managed in front of senior management. Few companies offer recent graduates this opportunity. There is an intensive training program that helps aid the large learning curve and the program leaders are more than willing to help guide you to resources or training if in need of development in a particular rotation. Proactive and hard working LDPs have plenty of opportunities to take on important and meaningful projects and I have grown tremendously from this. People who embrace challenging work will do well in this role.

Cons

The program is organized and the program leaders listen to the LDPs opinion when determining the direction of the program. Many previous LDP reviews have mentioned retention problems that have been addressed. The program is making the effort to retain valuable LDPs and find a good fit for their career growth and the company. If there is a "con" to the program for any of the LDPs, management has an open door policy so that it can be heard out and fixed as necessary.

Advice to Management

The program is moving in the right direction. The interest that leadership has taken in the program is evident and extremely appreciated.

3. "Account Services Representative"

Former Employee - Account Services Representative II in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Account Services Representative II in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Great schedule, reasonable benefits

Cons

Poor management skills, no formal training

Advice to Management

Develop a system to help employees vs being personalits driven and immature

5. "Customer Care Rep"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Fortegra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Right off the freeway, great office.

Cons

No growth potential, low pay, low benefits.

Advice to Management

Interview process for current employees to grow is too hard. Possibly on purpose to not move up.

6. "Life at Fortegra"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Fortegra full-time

Pros

Great environment and the team feels like family. Great place to learn and grow. Senior leadership very supportive.

Cons

Call center work would get very busy at times with minimal staff.

Advice to Management

Place customer experience as a top priority.

7. "Leadership Development Program"

Former Employee - Leadership Development Program Associate in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

As a rotational development program, it is pretty similar in structure to others I've seen in the industry, but really shines by it's exposure to senior management. In my time, I was able to work directly with the CEO and CFO, spend rotations focused on accounting principles, business development, business management, and experience a private equity buy-in and preparation for an IPO. I spent some time at one of the company's subsidiaries in Redondo Beach, CA and worked with a team looking at potential acquisition targets in Portland. LDP's were generally treated fairly and with respect, and the team is sincere in wanting to help you develop your career. This was my first position out of college and really gave me great exposure to working in the industry, as well as insight into what the management experience is like. Work/life balance is pretty incredible, usually was out of the office between 5 and 6, and my bosses let me work however I worked best. If you are seeking to start a single set of responsibilities and stick with that over time, it probably isn't for you, but I couldn't think of better experience for someone looking to work within the broader business community with their sights set on future management positions.

Cons

Personally, I wasn't a big fan of Jacksonville, but the trade-off for the environment (FL weather) and cost of living is pretty great. I wouldn't consider this an explosive growth industry or something to jump start your wall street career. Rotations are generally structured by the individual you are working with, so it can feel unstructured at times if you aren't proactive with your team.

Advice to Management

Continue to work with LDPs as they mature in their careers to see what changes would improve the program. Maybe work on a set of defined 'placement' positions so that LDPs can work toward that role as part of their career trajectory.

8. "Leadership Development Program"

Former Employee - Leadership Development Program Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Fortegra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was a great job coming out of college. It had exposure to senior management, a variety of work tasks, and opportunities to develop as a leader. One of the best aspects of the program is its rotational nature. As a recent college graduate it allowed me to figure out what I enjoyed doing. I was also given the opportunity to work directly with senior leaders of the company, which is not common in an entry level position. Finally, I really enjoyed the people I worked with. Every manager I had took both a professional and personal interest in my development.

Cons

Rotating jobs every six months. I did not view this as a con, but I could see how some people could. You need to expect this going into the job.

Advice to Management

Continue to rotate individuals through core competencies of career development (accounting, marketing, business intelligence, etc.). Seeing various aspects of the business allows for well rounded employees.

9. "JV"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatham, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatham, NJ

I worked at Fortegra full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers who care and try really hard to make the company successful

Cons

Management makes decisions based on how their own equity is effected

Advice to Management

Sell the company to a real insurance company

10. "LDP"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Access to senior management
    Ability to work on meaningful projects
    Ability to develop impressive resume in 2 years out of school
    Ability to work on a diversity of projects

Cons

Pay is below 50,000 needs to be bumped to that.
    There is no defined path upon completing the program.
    Program exit offers a pay increase but you can do much better by going to another company or pursuing an MBA

Advice to Management

Pay employees more
    Define a career path
    Pay for training and invest in your program

"Position Was Not As Advertised"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Fortegra full-time

Pros

The people who have been there for 10 or 15 years were very friendly and helpful. The company has really great Christmas parties where employees have an opportunity to win some really great stuff like televisions and gift cards. The company as a whole has kind of a family atmosphere. The pay is very competitive. I've worked at worst places.

Cons

The IT department is small, and there is little room for advancement. At times this group seems excessively clique-ish, with some being taken under management's wing and others being left outside of the circle. While the rest of the company is engaged in all sorts of activities designed to foster comraderie, the IT department rarely participates. Chances are good that you will be promised all sorts of things in the interview ("You'll get to work on cutting-edge technology! You'll get to choose what you work on! You'll get to pitch management for new projects! They really listen to your ideas here!") but once you come on board you quickly realize that your primary job will be production support for antiquated technologies the company either can't or won't get rid of. Management tends to over-promise on development projects. Regardless of how many hours you put in trying to meet unrealistic deadlines, management has no qualms about throwing you under the bus.

Advice to Management

Be fair.