Fortinet Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 23, 2017

Fortinet President, CEO, and Director Ken Xie
Ken Xie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I literally started experience the perfect work-life balance and I am sure it stays this way (in 13 reviews)

• This is a company with lots of opportunity to learn a lot in R&D (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance is totally unto you (in 6 reviews)

• The company culture is probably not what you at expecting for a high tech company (in 7 reviews)

1. "G&A"

I have been working at Fortinet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

many friendly and professional coworkers

Cons

High workload with many deliverables

2. "Technical Writer"

I have been working at Fortinet full-time

Pros

Fewer meetings, a lot of work

Cons

Less organized, too many uncertainties

3. "Technical Account Manager"

I have been working at Fortinet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good work life balance

Cons

Support is ignored. Company is too focused on Sales Team

Advice to Management

Listen to all organizations

"A leading network security company, but not a particularly exciting place to work..."

Former Employee - Legal in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Legal in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Fortinet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a company that is continuing to grow in the network security space with a focus on intellectual property development.

Cons

The company places huge emphasis on the sales organization and next would come engineering. However, I feel that the support organization (i.e., marketing, finance, IT, HR, legal) is often shortchanged and overlooked by management.

Advice to Management

While a growing stock price helps to keep employees on board for a period of time, it doesn't necessarily foster long term loyalty. Fortinet has been cash flow positive for quite some time now, but it really doesn't spend much money on its employees. In order to attract the most dynamic talent, you need to work on some of your incentives.

"Major Account Manager"

Current Employee - Major Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Major Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Fortinet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products, great benefits, decent compensation plan but on target earnings are not very achievable. Good supporting sales tools and competitive data.

Cons

Management lacks realistic sales expectations. Reorganization happens every quarter. MSP business model for targeted accounts lacks architecture to support sales for all product sets. Processes and procedures are outdated.

Advice to Management

Set realistic expectations on accounts and set sales people up for success.

"Easy but unstable"

Former Employee - Business Development in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Fortinet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation, vacation, morale, easy work and stocks

Cons

Not sure how long until you're laid off

7. "Business Development Representative"

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Fortinet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits: Health, Vision, Dental, ESPP, 500 RSUs or 750 Options. 401k Match, FSA/HSA. Pretty easy job as a whole, quota is not impossible. But dependent on your territory it can get hard. Easy going on when you come in, and leave for lunch, you can wear whatever you want to work. Listen to some light music while you dial. Pay is good (70k if you hit quota) , low for the area though according to Glassdoor. UNLIMITED PTO, a fair amount of sick days (I didnt really use mine), and every holiday off, and the following monday or prior friday dependent on when the holiday was.

Cons

You never know when you'll be fired, EVEN IF YOU HIT QUOTA. People are consistently l leaving the company (our ENTIRE office was laid off and moved to back to HQ, where- they had people move to other jobs (from this role) because it was too expensive to keep them there, but now they're moving them back, which hypothetically should have increased costs, when they could have made us all remote...), C level, Director Level, and lower level, whether it be laid off, or simply leaving by their own choice all the time. It seemed as if to be a monthly basis... Nearly impossible to move up from Business Development if not living in Sunnyvale, CA (HQ). You never know when you're going to get laid off, or if you position will be there when you get to work. Quota not consistent with what is realistic month to month (they laid off like 15 people and raised the quota for the people who are staying).

Advice to Management

Upper level- More bonus' for the lower guys, more spiffs for BDRs. 1% of sales!!!! (and yes I understand some close at 2mil. thats the point)
    Immediate Manager- watch your tone of voice and how you speak to your employees, our manager was very rude, and impolite, or jokingly impolite and almost bullying. Watch your temper. Treat people the way you want to be treated. LEAD more than MANAGE. Our manager(s) had ZERO leadership skills, though was a good manager. Consistantly pushing, and never pulling, only had your back when it made them look bad. Instead of saying "check your email" just tell us the answer, because thats why we work in an office, right next to you. If you're not going to help us. Why not just work remotely...

"Finance"

I worked at Fortinet full-time

Pros

Work is always interesting, the cyber security world is a rapidly changing market which means Fortinet and its employees have to be quick on their feet and ready to adapt. Good benefits and vacation packages. Hours are good.

Cons

Stale working environment, not a lot of excitement in the office. Everyone is very fearful of management. Pay seems a little low for the cost of living in the silicon valley area.

Advice to Management

Go out of your way to make your employees feel wanted and appreciated. Employees should be able to know who their boss is when he walks by.

"Bleak Future in the US"

Pros

Great Benefits, Good People and financially sound.

Cons

Very poor upper management, previous comment about Ken are very valid. CFO is a former controller and is simply concerned with amount of $ in the bank (ie Beancounter), has very poor relations with the street, and has zero vision in the space. Its really a shame because they have great technology but have zero understanding of marketing.

Advice to Management

Ken, Relinquish your position and bring in someone who appreciates and understands marketing. PAN Is eating your lunch because they have made the needed investments in marketing. They are doing it with an inferior product in markets that given our technology we should be owning. Great article in Seeking Alpha re this last week.

10. "Tech Writing Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Fortinet as an intern

Pros

Good learning experience, "diving in" on difficult material and less-than-intuitive hardware, collaborative and friendly environment, work you can display in a portfolio.

Cons

First couple of weeks featured a lot of "dead" time awaiting instruction or assistance - they should reconsider their onboarding process for interns.