Fortnum & Mason "good staff" Reviews | Glassdoor

Fortnum & Mason Employee Reviews about "good staff"

Updated Jun 20, 2019

2.6
Fortnum & Mason CEO Kate Hobhouse (no image)
Kate Hobhouse
Pros
  • "Really good staff discount and treatment of staff(in 18 reviews)

• "Good staff discount, 25% - 30% depending on the items(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours work (10 hours work 20mins break)(in 14 reviews)

• "There are some members of staff who will seriously damage the company's reputation by giving such a disgusting shopping experience(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "good staff"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good working environment"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at Fortnum & Mason full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good working environment Good Staff Discount

Cons

No commission Little upward momentum

Fortnum & Mason2019-06-20
  2. "Looks like a great company....."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Fortnum & Mason full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good staff canteen, good food for the staff and a good environment as well as the 6th floor.

Cons

A total mess when we talk about how they organize and allocate the new employers, after 6 months never have a looker to keep my belonging and let me tell you that I was a manager, no reviews and a culture of harassment is on top of the daily basis, the worst thing is that all the senior team know about it and nobody says or do nothing to stop that. Long hours without breaks and a total lack of leadership in almost... all the restaurants. So far this is the worst company that I ever work for in my life, don't recommend to anyone that I know to go to work there ( at least at 45 Jermyn st restaurant). People there is only a simple number.

Advice to Management

Put in practice a better program of induction (your's mainly about the history of the company ) Focus more in your's associates, more training, more reviews and listen to them more, focus more in how your senior team can be more leaders than bosses and maybe people don't gonna left your company with a huge feeling of disappointment, looking back as a complete waste of time and regret.

Fortnum & Mason2019-05-28
  3. "Christmas Sales Assistant"

I worked at Fortnum & Mason full-time

Pros

*Salary wasn’t bad. *Good staff perks and discounts. *Good subsidised cafe. *Nice colleagues.

Cons

*Leadership from managers could be better.

Advice to Management

*Better communication between execs, managers and staff.

Fortnum & Mason2019-02-08
  4. "Lovely place to work"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at Fortnum & Mason full-time for less than a year

Pros

- The managers were very nice and understanding - Really good staff discount and treatment of staff - Paid accurately and on time - Plenty of information on the induction day - HR and recruitment were very efficient in the application process

Cons

- Some very unsociable hours but to be expected at Christmas time - Some thefts in store

Fortnum & Mason2019-01-07

"Lack of communication and low respect towards sales assistants"

I have been working at Fortnum & Mason full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great store and products. Good staff discount.

Cons

Where shall I start.... Ok lets start with the management... What management? Exactly... The floor managers don't communicate with staff as they should, they often don't even have time to speak to the members of their staff when needed. They often make their staff members feeling upset. Some of the comments are insulting, demeaning, offensive and racist. Not to mention the beauty department where the staff... members show nothing but arrogance, rudeness and lack of respect to other members of staff from different departments... There are some members of staff who will seriously damage the company's reputation by giving such a disgusting shopping experience.

Advice to Management

You have to change the way you manage and speak to your staff. You are not better people if you treat other people like crap. We all work for the same company. We all should work to give our customers "Fortnum and mason" experience. By insulting your staff you will only push people away especially your customers who by reading this will only start thinking "wtf"...

Fortnum & Mason2018-12-17
  6. "Christmas Sales Assistant"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Fortnum & Mason

Pros

Great staff discount Friendly coworkers Good staff canteen

Cons

Poorly managed during peak period Very inflexible with rota changes

Fortnum & Mason2018-02-11

"Discustingly Vile and Arrogant Culture"

I have been working at Fortnum & Mason full-time

Pros

Good staff benefits. Decent canteen

Cons

Very little support. Only a few nice colleagues. Easy to become "wrongly judged" Arrogant and hypocritical idealism. Bullying and intimidation is rife. Have now felt it necessary to join a union! Hollier than tho department heads

Advice to Management

Wake up to whats happening you have a legal responsibility! Ignoring it won't make it go away.

Fortnum & Mason2018-03-03

"Decent Seasonal Employment (Customer Relations Office)"

Former Contractor - Customer Service Advisor (Temp) in London, England

I worked at Fortnum & Mason for less than a year

Pros

1) It is nice to work in a customer service role where you are actually given the means of going above and beyond to resolve a customer complaint. 2) Overall I probably agreed with the companies ethic more than many other places which I have worked. 3) Training provided was quite efficient and useful. Opportunity to re-train was always made available. 4) Decent office atmosphere created by a young staff... and managers who let you get on with the job. 5) I learned a hell of a lot during my two months in the job. 6) Subsidised meals in the canteen are very good value and the food is generally of a high standard. Only £2.75 for a vegetarian main. All coffee and tea is free. The company also provide a lot of random free food on occasion e.g. cakes, expensive biscuits, pastries etc. 7) Good staff discount, 25% - 30% depending on the items. 8) Quite cool to be working for a company with so much legacy.

Cons

1) The money probably isn't good enough considering how intense the job can be. Only £8.75 an hour is very low and there is little opportunity to increase that in the long-run unless the stars align for you in some crazy way. 2) As mentioned above the job can be stressful. Especially at Christmas when the communication lines get busier and customers become more and more irate. 3) Sometimes the companies... policy of achieving customer satisfaction by any means necessary can be frustrating as some customers are clearly playing the system to obtain complimentary gifts and refunds. If they complain enough they always get what they want. 4) Generally speaking, the management / supervisors cannot help you in the busy season as they have their own work to do. Expect to be told to "use your own discretion" a lot. Of course this is also a positive as you are left alone for the most part. 5) Some completely inadequate workers managed to coast through the Christmas period as it was too busy to remove them from their role. It was very frustrating cleaning up after multiple agents sloppy work. However, most people were fantastic professionals it must be said. 6) Incentive to stay on long-term really isn't there and as such the staff changes very regularly. No pay increase and post-Christmas your responsibilities increase further as the specialisation is disbanded and everyone is now responsible for potentially answering webchats, phone and email all at once. 7) Working Sundays without an hourly rate increase is a bit annoying, as is working Saturdays (although you won't always be rostered to work them).

Advice to Management

Increase the pay and increase staff retention. More experienced staff would allow for greater customer service and reduce a lot of the issues caused by poor work standards of certain individual workers at Christmas. Overall though the management of the CR office are doing their best with what they have and are nice people. I wish them well.

Fortnum & Mason2018-01-15

"Stuck in the dark ages..."

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I have been working at Fortnum & Mason full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good staff discount and friendly, supportive colleagues. Nice environment to work.

Cons

Long working hours. No benefits aside from staff discount. Pay doesn't meet the London Living Wage.

Advice to Management

Hire more staff and be more flexible with regards to work/life balance. Consider staff wants and needs more often than not.

Fortnum & Mason2017-06-22

"interesting company with chaotic management"

Former Employee - Christmas Sales Assistant in London, England

I worked at Fortnum & Mason full-time

Pros

high quality products; aestatic work environment; mostly very friendly colleagues; decent salary; good staff discount (up to 40%); interesting history of company

Cons

very early shifts (at least at St.Pancras branch); indecisive and chaotic management; no lockers or any safe space to store your belongings or to take a break (only at St. Pancras branch);

Fortnum & Mason2017-05-15