Forum One Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 7, 2017

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chris Wolz

1. "The best place I've ever worked."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Forum One full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- This is a company that cares about its clients and its employees.
    - There is a rich history of "service" among Forum One's staff - and it translates to the projects we're so proud of.
    - Work-life balance is outstanding.
    - Opportunities for growth within the organization are real.
    - Many staff telecommute - but the office locations (Alexandria, DC, Seattle) are the best.
    - I couldn't ask to work with a better group of people!

Cons

Like any company experiencing growth... there are growing pains. But, the company is growing because our clients love us - and people want to work here!

Advice to Management

Heads up and full steam ahead!

"Working on something bigger than myself"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Forum One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- company has moved on to digital agency model from tech implementers, with more emphasis on creative and user experience than it used to have when I joined
    - you get to work with high profile clients
    - good emphasis on work-life balance
    - colleagues are knowledgable in their fields
    - above-average benefits (flexible hours, 401k, ESPO, lots of leave)
    - company transparent about performance and finances

Cons

- change in business model created some growing pains (still defining roles, departments and processes)
    - performance evaluations are arbitrary and weird
    - it takes a long time to hire new people

Advice to Management

-Invest more in professional development

Forum One Response

Feb 2, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your comments - and here are some belated reflections. The "pros" you mention are things we really take seriously, and your other comments are constructive. I agree that we had some ... More

"PM"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Forum One (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Creative minds. Fun atmosphere. Management trusts you - no micromanagement.

Cons

Trial by fire. You're just left to figure things out yourself (which is fine for some folks).

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Great growth opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

The company really cares about staff happiness, and making sure interests and work are always considered when building teams. Company is growing; lots of opportunities to do new things and company supportive of staff input.

Cons

Office space can be a bit too quiet, and not always easy to connect with coworkers that you're not directly working with.

Advice to Management

Liven up the office space so that it's easier for colleagues to on the one hand better connect, and on the other hand focus during crunch time.

"Excellent benefits, friendly staff. Unique culture."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Forum One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of healthy and unhealthy snacks, starbucks drip coffee, plenty of tea. Great food options at HQ location neighborhood of Del Ray.

Clients tend to really believe in what they are doing. You feel like you are working on projects that matter. Google is used for just about everything, which is nicer to work with than Office products. Great benefits. Excellent work-life balance. Competent Project Managers, excellent developers.

Company is growing. Lots of transparency by senior management regarding the status of the company in terms of revenue, projected growth, upcoming projects etc. HR really seems to care about your happiness. IT department responds lightning fast to any hardware or software need. People seem to feel free to be themselves and not have to put on some sort of dulled-down business/professional personality

Cons

It can be very quiet in some parts of the office, hear a pin drop type of thing. Limited parking spots at HQ, not really convenient to metro.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to staff and focusing on employee happiness. Happy employees do good work and make others around them happy.

"A great place to work and grow!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

You get to work with great people who are passionate about making the world a better place!

Cons

It's still a small company so things are a little mingled.

"This is really a great place"

I have been working at Forum One full-time

Pros

- Amazing co-workers, both in talent and personality.
    - Many great clients.
    - Collaboration is improving and is an area of focus for us.
    - Strong work/life balance with care about employee needs. Sometimes longer hours are required, but this is not the norm and it is OK to raise this as an issue.
    - Leadership in our space. We have strong talent and focus on leading clients to the best results we can.
    - Consistent, historical business success, especially in terms of revenue growth.
    - Benefits are extremely strong for a company with this size and atmosphere. Could we make more elsewhere? Sure, but we would also sacrifice a lot else.
    - Transparency of the business situation is like nowhere else I have seen.

Cons

- You need to be a self-starter here. There are many opportunities and can chart your own path, but you need to make it happen.
    - Management can get too wrapped up in some business metrics in the short term, but things tend to even out over the longer term.
    - There has been an increased focus on accountability in many areas, which is necessary, but has provoked some tensions. We simply had to "up our game" in many areas to stay competitive.
    - We need to keep working on consistently giving useful feedback in a timely manner.

We are in a period of change, and it is for the best, but there certainly have been issues along the way. This shouldn't dissuade newcomers, given the points above.

Advice to Management

- Watch that individuals / roles don't get overly tarred for complex performance situations.
    - Use and share numbers, but don't get too fixated on short-term changes.

Forum One Response

Feb 1, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your comments and your advice. I know that when complex projects falter, there are always multiple reasons and players. The same when they succeed!

"Valuable work, healthy environment"

I have been working at Forum One full-time

Pros

Great issues, great clients, good staff culture. HR listens to staff and makes concrete changes based on staff input. Senior management cares about building a healthy and worthwhile company as much as just bottom line. Consistent growth has led to good staff opportunities. High competence, low drama.

Cons

Client-facing work can be stressful. Lots of projects.