Forum One Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 4, 2017

5.0
Chris Wolz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"One of the best companies in DC, One of the best places I have ever worked."

I worked at Forum One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Forum One for more than 3 years, and it was an overwhelmingly positive experience from start to finish. I had managers that were flexible with how I spent my time, what I was most interested in, and the tools I needed to succeed. I worked with clients in the government and nonprofit world who do things that ACTUALLY MATTER. Seriously, the clients F1 has are amazing, and I advise anyone thinking about applying to read some of the case studies of the work done and who it was done for. It's amazing. It means something. (The government, especially, needs all the help it can get right now.)

Throughout my tenure, I felt supported and important in my role, and was able to grow throughout my time at Forum One according to both the company needs and my own. I worked with a team of people that are funny, compassionate, smart, and talented. I maintained an active social life and flexible work/life balance even while being in the trenches of the creative agency world -- and THAT is pretty amazing. :)

Most importantly: no day I had was the same at F1. The work was exciting, the people invigorating, and the role ever-changing. It was an irreplaceable professional experience for me to have, and I look back on my time with the company very happily.

Cons

No company is without its faults, and F1 was definitely going through some growing pains as I was worked there (for instance, hiring a lot of people in a year, introducing new management and leadership roles, the changing ecosystem of clients in the digital world). I also felt like a few bad hires were made, which tends to happen when expanding. BUT, I don't have much real criticism.

Grass is always greener, but F1's grass is pretty green.

Advice to Management

Hire great people -- and pay them accordingly. Keep expanding in new directions creatively and with the changing digital atmosphere in mind. Always remember the core of F1 as being "work that matters". Stay impactful.

Forum One Response

Nov 22, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback, which reflects a lot of what we view as important in what we're creating at Forum One! We're looking to build a great place to make careers, craft innovative digital... More

"Mission-driven, forward-looking"

I have been working at Forum One full-time

Pros

Forum One has a great client list and works on progressive-oriented projects. Although it's not a political agency, the work it takes on it with mission-driven clients who have a "save the world" mentality. Staff are generally very much behind that.

The company has genuinely talented staff, and it's pushing toward innovation instead of resting on its laurels. It's growing in interesting areas like creative and analytics, where it used to be a bit stale some years back. There has been a big push toward the client experience on projects, which comes from a good place but is sometimes difficult to balance.

On the HR front, there are generous benefits (5 weeks paid leave, maternity/paternity leave, employee-owned stock plan), and good work/life balance overall. Remote work is allowed, and it's nice to have flexibility if you have kids at home. Team leads actually push for collaboration on projects and across departments. There's are strong mentors on the tech and creative team to help you grow. Leadership is transparent about company goals and financials through company-wide all-hands meetings and quarterly meetings.

Cons

An emphasis on growth over the last couple of years resulted in growing pains. Management is still trying to balance the culture they want with the goals they've set. There are downsides when negativity festers with those who are not quite in the flow of things, or are dealing with burnout.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent about what you want to achieve as a company, and people will get on the same page. Promote people to management who are going to be forward-thinking and good mentors.

"This is really a great place"

I have been working at Forum One full-time

Pros

- Amazing co-workers, both in talent and personality.
    - Many great clients.
    - Collaboration is improving and is an area of focus for us.
    - Strong work/life balance with care about employee needs. Sometimes longer hours are required, but this is not the norm and it is OK to raise this as an issue.
    - Leadership in our space. We have strong talent and focus on leading clients to the best results we can.
    - Consistent, historical business success, especially in terms of revenue growth.
    - Benefits are extremely strong for a company with this size and atmosphere. Could we make more elsewhere? Sure, but we would also sacrifice a lot else.
    - Transparency of the business situation is like nowhere else I have seen.

Cons

- You need to be a self-starter here. There are many opportunities and can chart your own path, but you need to make it happen.
    - Management can get too wrapped up in some business metrics in the short term, but things tend to even out over the longer term.
    - There has been an increased focus on accountability in many areas, which is necessary, but has provoked some tensions. We simply had to "up our game" in many areas to stay competitive.
    - We need to keep working on consistently giving useful feedback in a timely manner.

We are in a period of change, and it is for the best, but there certainly have been issues along the way. This shouldn't dissuade newcomers, given the points above.

Advice to Management

- Watch that individuals / roles don't get overly tarred for complex performance situations.
    - Use and share numbers, but don't get too fixated on short-term changes.

Forum One Response

Feb 1, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your comments and your advice. I know that when complex projects falter, there are always multiple reasons and players. The same when they succeed!

"The best place I've ever worked."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Forum One full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- This is a company that cares about its clients and its employees.
    - There is a rich history of "service" among Forum One's staff - and it translates to the projects we're so proud of.
    - Work-life balance is outstanding.
    - Opportunities for growth within the organization are real.
    - Many staff telecommute - but the office locations (Alexandria, DC, Seattle) are the best.
    - I couldn't ask to work with a better group of people!

Cons

Like any company experiencing growth... there are growing pains. But, the company is growing because our clients love us - and people want to work here!

Advice to Management

Heads up and full steam ahead!

"PM"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Forum One (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Creative minds. Fun atmosphere. Management trusts you - no micromanagement.

Cons

Trial by fire. You're just left to figure things out yourself (which is fine for some folks).

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Great growth opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

The company really cares about staff happiness, and making sure interests and work are always considered when building teams. Company is growing; lots of opportunities to do new things and company supportive of staff input.

Cons

Office space can be a bit too quiet, and not always easy to connect with coworkers that you're not directly working with.

Advice to Management

Liven up the office space so that it's easier for colleagues to on the one hand better connect, and on the other hand focus during crunch time.

"Excellent benefits, friendly staff. Unique culture."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Forum One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of healthy and unhealthy snacks, starbucks drip coffee, plenty of tea. Great food options at HQ location neighborhood of Del Ray.

Clients tend to really believe in what they are doing. You feel like you are working on projects that matter. Google is used for just about everything, which is nicer to work with than Office products. Great benefits. Excellent work-life balance. Competent Project Managers, excellent developers.

Company is growing. Lots of transparency by senior management regarding the status of the company in terms of revenue, projected growth, upcoming projects etc. HR really seems to care about your happiness. IT department responds lightning fast to any hardware or software need. People seem to feel free to be themselves and not have to put on some sort of dulled-down business/professional personality

Cons

It can be very quiet in some parts of the office, hear a pin drop type of thing. Limited parking spots at HQ, not really convenient to metro.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to staff and focusing on employee happiness. Happy employees do good work and make others around them happy.

"A great place to work and grow!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

You get to work with great people who are passionate about making the world a better place!

Cons

It's still a small company so things are a little mingled.

"Valuable work, healthy environment"

I have been working at Forum One full-time

Pros

Great issues, great clients, good staff culture. HR listens to staff and makes concrete changes based on staff input. Senior management cares about building a healthy and worthwhile company as much as just bottom line. Consistent growth has led to good staff opportunities. High competence, low drama.

Cons

Client-facing work can be stressful. Lots of projects.