Foundation Medicine Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Foundation Medicine Chief Executive Officer Troy Cox
Troy Cox

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great Science, Great Mission, Great People" (in 7 reviews)

• "Very patient centric, cutting edge genomics company" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance is impossible" (in 8 reviews)

• "Fast paced, rapidly growing company" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Foundation Medicine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very patient centric, cutting edge genomics company

Cons

Growing pains as the company rapidly expands

Foundation Medicine Response

Aug 13, 2018 – Senior Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Foundation Medicine. We know we have some pain points to tackle as we grow. We are carefully looking at our barriers to execution, so we can... More

2. "Great culture and colleagues"

I have been working at Foundation Medicine full-time

Pros

Innovative, collaborative and supportive environment

Cons

Fast paced, rapidly growing company

"BEWARE"

I worked at Foundation Medicine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a great mission and superior product offering.

Cons

Leadership CORRUPTION at it's finest. I spent a few years at Foundation Medicine. I witnessed various employees who were at a "leadership" level engage in plotting, cattiness, and downright unethical office politics. You know there is a problem when HR repeats confidential information to other employees. Not all departments are corrupt but in some areas on the commercial side being a good worker is not enough. In order to have your hard work and accomplishments recognized you have to play the politics game and turn a blind eye to the nasty behavior you see exhibited towards your coworkers. Beyond that there is no confidentiality. Too many times I have heard leadership openly sharing and making fun of various employees work issues.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to give because they would chalk it up to me being "disgruntled". I hope the company can move to honor the culture it promotes in all departments.

"Doesn't learn from it's mistakes"

I have been working at Foundation Medicine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Passionate team members
    -some exceptional minds throughout the company (though many are leaving or looking to leave)

Cons

-Major lack of training especially in client services
    -Processes are put in place without looking at and thinking of the long term or confirming that it works cross functionally. It's all Band-Aid solutions.
    - Leadership never learns from it's mistakes
    -Promotes poorly equiped employees who have no leadership or managerial skills into key roles
    - Is moving away from culture and patient-driven case into over standardization that hurts patient care and customers
    -non industry standard software and tech makes the job much hard than our role.

Advice to Management

Build proper training.
    Collaborate cross-departmentally
    Return to the companies cultural roots.

"Great company with some room for improvement"

I have been working at Foundation Medicine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great patient-centric mission that employees really believe in. Many really bright scientists solving interesting problems. Several products have gone to market and are transforming the industry. Generally good benefits and nice work spaces.

Cons

With exponential growth several great people there from near-beginning have left and more continue to.

Some things are noted as key goals at the high level but aren't given appropriate prioritization or resources in practice.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in R&D so that we stay leaders in the field. Make a real effort to retain smart devoted people. Don't introduce unnecessary bureaucracy.

Don't just talk about prioritizes and new initiatives, actually stand behind these things and get them done, and done WELL. If a project is supposed to be a priority make sure it's adequately supported below you, otherwise the integrity of our products will suffer and good people will leave frustrated.

"Great Mission, Barriers to Execution and Balance, Burn Out Risk"

I worked at Foundation Medicine full-time

Pros

The Patient-Centric Mission is inspiring. This was one of the best jobs of my life.
    Great Benefits.
    Some of the best and the brightest in the industry work here.

Cons

Constantly shifting priorities and communication.
    Mixed messages to hands on folks, leaving them frustrated and jaded.
    Promises to build infrastructure, teams, and processes are left unfulfilled despite a rosy financial outlook.
    Mixed reviews on new leadership, some are focused on managing their reputation rather than their departments. There are some excellent new leaders.
    Many of the best and the brightest are leaving or have left.
    Several employees have been set up to fail.

Advice to Management

Invest time, money, and leadership energy in establishing infrastructure needed to support your future success. Shortcuts and decisions to forgo these necessities have long caused stress and dissatisfaction.
    Take responsibility for the complexity created by the absence of growth investment.
    Listen to what the organization's employees are telling you.
    Model the accountability you desire.

Foundation Medicine Response

Aug 13, 2018 – Senior Manager

Thank you for providing your feedback and opinion and we are sorry that you are no longer with our company. We are indeed growing rapidly and reaching new milestones every day. We have launched... More

7. "Come here to make an impact"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Foundation Medicine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is doing a great job commercializing it's products to BioPharma and patients. The company has developed innovative new products such as its liquid biopsy product. Lots of opportunities for growth at a growing company like Foundation Medicine.

Cons

As the company grows, it risks losing it's entrepreneurial spirit.

"Great mission and great potential. But Mis-management and miscommunication are a theme"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Foundation Medicine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has a great mission and reputation. Working with some very smart and driven people. Flexible-ish work hours (WFH). Expect company to continue to grow.

Cons

Dysfunctional organization. Horrible communication between teams. The VP to Manager level people are not good at managing. Work stress passes on from Exes to upper, and eventually share by everyone on the team. Miscommunication or no communication between teams are common. On paper, we are encouraged to be innovative but at the end of day, no one has the time to think outside of their workload. Product development did not stem from enough background, user or market research, hence, many rushed high priority projects that ended up failing or being discontinued a few months after launch, which is a huge blow to morale and a complete waste of people's time.

Advice to Management

Stop being overly reactive to things without properly think through the needs and the solution. Also, work life balance was "encouraged" but not realistically implemented. Resources are scarce and insufficient to support work-life balance with the amount of workload that's put on each person.

"Awful People, Awful Culture, Even Worse Management"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Foundation Medicine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some teams here working on potentially interesting data problems.

Cons

Imagine the stagnation of your career made manifest into a corporate entity, this entity would be called "Foundation Medicine".

Doing anything here requires so much beurocracy and navigation through a quagmire of incompetence that it's surprising anything gets done. You will be waiting weeks if not months for external dependencies to fulfill trivial tasks. All the while management will be breathing down your neck.

You'll be working beside some software engineers that, despite having an ivy league degree, cannot understand intermediate concepts that would improve the quality and performance of their applications tenfold. I would place the quality of code here at roughly a freshman level.

You'll be using terrible business to business software that one would only assume was decided upon as a favour to management's old college friend. This software will make your quality of life immeasureably worse.

Any facet of modern software engineering process is 'implemented' at FMI, but only at a face level that is underlaid with old, inefficient, and superceded processes that the industry collectively realised were a terrible idea in 2005.

The majority of people here are also just plain rude in my experience, I have never worked at a place like this before. It is "uniquely FMI".

Advice to Management

It's hard to be constructive given the level of toxicity that has taken root here, but here are two things that would make things much better.

Engineering teams should be allocated their own devops people.
    Get rid of garbage non-standard industry software.

10. "Account Executive"

I have been working at Foundation Medicine full-time

Pros

Leader in cancer diagnostic testing. Excellent culture, great people and great purpose.

Cons

Exponential growth has caused gaps in training and onboarding. The decision is yours as to whether you sink or swim.

Advice to Management

Look beyond onboarding. Systems training per department is key, especially in sales.