Foundation Medicine Reviews

Updated Jun 13, 2021

3.8
Foundation Medicine CEO Brian Alexander
Brian Alexander
Pros
  • "All while contributing to a great company with a great mission(in 12 reviews)

• "Great benefits, learned a lot that will help me in the future and made great connections(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Just the typical growing pains of a rapidly growing company(in 15 reviews)

• "This can make work-life balance a challenge which is a common complaint(in 13 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Great place to work!

May 27, 2021 - Laboratory Technician in Cambridge, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is incredibly happy at FMI. Support is around every corner.

Cons

Constant changes are not always well received, but FMI is always working to change to improve.

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Interesting, challenging work and great people

May 27, 2021 - Principal Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

FMI has some deeply engaging technical and business challenges, which keeps everyone engaged. Company culture is focused on the mission (battling cancer) and employees often remark upon this as one aspect of job satisfaction. Compensation and benefits are really good, and the company is also good for technical people in that it is very tech-friendly, including willing to adopt new approaches without pushback. The constant addition of new FDA-approved tests and features keeps things lively. Overall I'd definitely rate this as one of the best places I've worked.

Cons

FMI has gone through some organizational changes in the last couple of years, which has had a somewhat temporary destabilizing effect. This is nothing abnormal for a young company reinventing itself and adapting as it goes, I feel. At times there have been rough spots in project management, which have resulted in lost productivity, but those have mostly been ironed out by now as well. It's hard to find fault with the company or any department--it's well above average in terms of employee job satisfaction despite the occasional hiccup.

3. 2.0
      Current Employee

Ok for beginning career only

Jun 13, 2021 - Molecular Technologist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. A nice place to get some experience then move on.

Cons

Most lab op “leaders” (management) are bullies and speak down to employees like children. So many fake “thank yous” during meetings but treatment is cold and unsupported in real life. You will be promoted 1 level up every 2-3 years whether you are a hard worker or not. The management promote themselves to positions they aren’t even qualified for, though. All the reviews about management cliques are still true. Directors spend the day eating and being on their phones constantly. Very strange culture for a biotech.

4. 5.0

Inspiring, Innovative, and rewarding

Jan 17, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company mission and innovative approach to transforming cancer care energizes and excites us all. FMI has some of the most brilliant scientists, data analysts, and leaders in molecular insights. The culture is innovative, collaborative, and inclusive. I always feel empowered to bring my true self to work and have an open platform to test new ideas and challenge the status quo. I feel both challenged and supported by leadership. The work is constantly changing and evolving which makes it exciting and rewarding.

Cons

Given the continuous and rapid developments in precision oncology the competition and pressure to continue to be a leader in the space is real. The work environment is fast paced and fluid. You must possess the ability to flex, evaluate, and re-prioritize your work. This can make work-life balance a challenge which is a common complaint. This does not go unnoticed by leadership which has rolled out flexible work programs and other initiatives and tools to support its employees. These are tools to help but it starts with empathy and leading by example. This is a challenge given the passion that people have for the mission and its impact on cancer patients. I’d say this is the biggest con, not losing site of the people and employees that make it all work, while still maintaining our position and moving the needle.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to work for

Mar 18, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Awesome company culture (strong mission, 1 on 1 coffee chats, enthusiasm towards team activities, happy hours, continuous learning, open to change, adaptive) - High end technology (using the best tools for the job) - Strong growth and career opportunities, if not within your current group, then in other areas - Pay is above average - Benefits are pretty great (401k - 5% match, 100% dental, 100% commuter rail, 75 for cell phone per month, 12 weeks maternity/paternity, HSA match, unlimited pto, Bonus + Long term stock, many more) - Management listens to the employees and makes changes that benefit the teams

Cons

- validation process slows down product delivery to production - a lot of overhead paperwork for audit purposes

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 2.0

MOLECULAR TECH

May 17, 2021 - Molecular Technician in Cambridge, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

They try to be diverse and inclusive, pay for lunches sometimes, good benefits

Cons

It’s been bought out by Roche so now operates as a large corporation so they care less about employees. Also new CEO is a white man who replaced Cindy and the culture of the company has had an immediate change.

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Current Employee

Mixed feelings on a good day.

Mar 30, 2021 - Quality Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good compensation, commuter benefits and lots of swags from time to time, great mission.

Cons

No prospect of growth in the role, you have to be in the inner circle to be noticed or rewarded, not everyone is heard equally, no transparency with regards to decisions being made. A lot of unhappy/dissatisfied folks but stick around because of the few pros, rules are not applied uniformly across people or departments.

5 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great cause, great potential

May 16, 2021 - Technology Lead
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great mission, great people, great technology

Cons

Long hours, crazy culture, lots of turnover

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

The best job I've had in a long time

Jan 27, 2021 - Technical Lead in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I feel appreciated for my contributions to the team. Great benefits: My salary is top notch, the vacation policy is amazing, health insurance is BC/BS - the best available in this area, stock plan is awesome, we are always getting swag, I have a great boss who gets it. The company is growing - I interviewed and started in the middle of the pandemic. The company believes in DE&I (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) The amazing feeling that you're helping people with cancer.

Cons

Because we have a lab that processes blood/tissue samples, we only have 6 company holidays. (But we have an unlimited vacation policy, so you can always put in for the time off) Every company has their problems. You just have to decide if there are more cons than pros.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

FMI is a great place to work but we still have a lot to do.

Apr 21, 2021 - Anonymous in Cambridge, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mission driven. People are brilliant and they are experts in their role.

Cons

Too many priorities with little decision making. We will see what the new CEO will bring to the table.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 185 Reviews