Four Seasons Reviews in Canada | Glassdoor

Four Seasons CEO Allen Smith
Allen Smith
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great Benefits, free hotel rooms at other properties (in 58 reviews)

• Ability to use complementary nights at different resorts around the world (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Not that much work/life balance (in 59 reviews)

• long hours, especially during holidays (in 57 reviews)

"Flexibility is an absolute must."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Four Seasons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my two years with Four Seasons I have worked in multiple departments. Mostly in the rooms division, but I also spent a bit of time in F&B. Management is supportive. Benefits are okay, and hourly wages are quite good and competitive. Complimentary nights at any FS property are my favourite perk. I like how there is the option to transfer to different departments as I do not like to stay in the same position for too long. Human Resources is really great.

Cons

Getting time off is a huge hassle. I've missed every holiday (with the exception of one Christmas) and countless celebrations such as birthdays, graduations, etc. This is definitely an industry con, but it is also a Four Seasons con as I find management doesn't bother to think outside of the box to help give you these special days off once in a while. I'm a very reliable employee. I've called in sick once (in two years!!!) and only request two or three days off per year. I also volunteer to work at every event put on by the hotel and I feel that I am never recognized for it by management (aside from HR recognizing me).

One big con in is that employees do not work as a team. Everyone is there to put in their eight hours and go home. It is a very cold and lonely feeling as co-workers are also not afraid to point fingers. Not only is it stressful enough to work in a leading hotel company by giving our guests flawless and intuitive service, but it also feels like I need to please my senior co-workers with their personal preferences so they do not try to make me appear bad to management. I can handle my own workload, but I wish we could work as a team to deliver even better service to our guests, and to make a very demanding work place feel like a second home.

When we are short staff, which feels like most of the time, they really work you to the bone. We were short staff in quarter 3 and some of 4. (July/August/September/October) In one month I worked six days every week and it wasn't uncommon to work 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 day scheduled stretches (no overtime). You are able to say no to overtime and you don't have to come into work on your day off when someone else calls in sick, but I was scared to say no because I felt like I had to try very, very hard to be liked and to be seen as a good, solid worker. Luckily I am young an have the energy for this work and do not have kids. I don't think I could have this job if I had a family to take care of.

Advice to Management

Please hire more employees. Please check in with employees one on one to make sure everything is running smoothly.

"No work/life balance"

Current Employee - Concierge in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Concierge in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Four Seasons full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, good perks such as free hotel stays in any four seasons property,

Cons

Huge penalties for honest mistakes

Advice to Management

Set up an employee feedback program

"Amazing people used to wowrk there.."

Former Employee - Gues Services in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Gues Services in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Four Seasons part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Well organized establishment with a lot of well educated and experienced people.

Cons

They do not care for their people as much as they want it to show in the media

Advice to Management

Be true to your golden rule and lead by example

4. "Average"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Comp Nights, great benefits and work environment

Cons

Takes forever to advance, and do not feel pay is fair

Advice to Management

Pay better