Four Seasons Reviews in Canada | Glassdoor

3.9
Four Seasons CEO Allen Smith
Allen Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great benefits at other locations (in 65 reviews)

• Ability to use complementary nights at different resorts around the world (in 21 reviews)

Cons

"Not at all what they claim to be, very disappointed."

Former Employee - Guest Services in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Four Seasons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Free nights at any Four Seasons Hotel after so many years of service.
    -Meals during your shift are provided by the company.

Cons

-Very low wages in an industry that already has below average wages, even compared to other hotels.
    -Very disorganized management team, lacking even the most basic management skills.
    -No fluidity and continuity in management decisions.
    -Too much "politics" and gossip between employees and management.
    -No job security, suspicious hiring/firing practices.

Advice to Management

You need to get some kind of flow of communication and have ALL management on the same page. You can't expect people to do their jobs properly when they are told four different things from four different managers.

2. "Terrible...."

Former Employee - Reservations Sales Agent in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Reservations Sales Agent in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Four Seasons full-time

Pros

- free lunch
    - nothing else

Cons

- terrible work environment
    - horrible hours
    - terrible support
    - lead by horrible manager, power hungry Jenan

Advice to Management

get new management

"Looks good to have on a resume but benefits only look good on paper and management does not walk the walk."

Former Employee - Health Club Attendant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Health Club Attendant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

They have an outstanding reputation that looks great on a resume. They hire the best people.

Cons

Management has gone downhill and the founder is out of touch with reality. Double standard for equal treatment. Getting time off is difficult and people are unwilling to help others out with time off.

Advice to Management

Don't act like you're better than the regular employees. Walk the walk and give personal feedback for performance. Nobody wants to be congratulated by a general company wide email when the sender has never bothered to introduce themselves.

4. "An underwhelming experience characterized by an unnecessarily tense operational environment"

Former Employee - Guest Services in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

-Good benefits relevant to industry standard
    -Challenging, high service environment

Cons

-Complexities and bureaucracy of unionised positions
    -Existence of 'not my job culture'
    -New employees are disadvantaged by union seniority
    -Poor scheduling
    -Inconsistency of management decisions

Advice to Management

I would suggest treating new employees as more valuable, as well as recognising a job well done, not just 'room for improvement'. I would recommend that senior management cuts ties with the union, as the benefits for most employees are negligible at most.

5. "Self-sacrifice expected - avoid"

Former Employee - Food Service Professional in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Food Service Professional in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Four Seasons full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts can provide you an excellent opportunity for travel, as they have locations all around the globe and are expanding rapidly.

Lunch/dinner meals provided by the hotel on break (if you're lucky enough to get a break).

Cons

Expectations for dedication and self-sacrifice are completely out of whack. Most managers working between 14-18 hours a day, sometimes even more, with no appreciation or proper compensation for these insane hours. You're told that's "just the industry", rather than the Hotel taking a better look at how their management style and priorities need to change in order to create a healthy work environment. They don't take responsibility for their poor management and mistakes, many managers and upper management underqualified for their positions, too many people making contradictory decisions, causing total confusion and frustration for assistant and middle management.

HUGE revolving door for line staff and management. Constant turnover.

Hotel claims pay rates for line employees is competitive, which is true if you're comparing them to that of a fast food chain. Not in comparison to competitor hotel companies.

Constantly lowering job titles and salaries but increasing job duties to save a dime. Working employees especially assistant and middle management to the bone, squeezing every bit they can out of them - which I find degrading and insulting.

You're told that you should 'stop caring so much about money' and start thinking of your employment with the FS as more of a gift of opportunity. Like you're not working your butt off to keep your job. They want you to think you're lucky to work there, but the cost of living doesn't allow for most of us to discard pay gaps as a real life issue. If I'm going to work more than 12 hours per day I sure as hell am not doing it for 50k.

Disappointed in this company after many years of service. Their mentality has changed with new company ownership - it's become a giant corporate monster, they don't care about their employees happiness or health and they no longer live by their own golden rule of "treating others as you expect to be treated yourself".

Very sad.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees both managers and non - when they tell you there's no work life balance. Stop telling them they just have a 'poor outlook' or that they just 'care too much about money'. These hardworking, caring people are not your slaves, and you're just as lucky to have THEM as they are to have an opportunity to work for YOU.

6. "Average"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Comp Nights, great benefits and work environment

Cons

Takes forever to advance, and do not feel pay is fair

Advice to Management

Pay better

"Amazing people used to wowrk there.."

Former Employee - Gues Services in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Gues Services in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Four Seasons part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Well organized establishment with a lot of well educated and experienced people.

Cons

They do not care for their people as much as they want it to show in the media

Advice to Management

Be true to your golden rule and lead by example

"No work/life balance"

Current Employee - Concierge in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Concierge in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Four Seasons full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, good perks such as free hotel stays in any four seasons property,

Cons

Huge penalties for honest mistakes

Advice to Management

Set up an employee feedback program

"Flexibility is an absolute must."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Four Seasons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my two years with Four Seasons I have worked in multiple departments. Mostly in the rooms division, but I also spent a bit of time in F&B. Management is supportive. Benefits are okay, and hourly wages are quite good and competitive. Complimentary nights at any FS property are my favourite perk. I like how there is the option to transfer to different departments as I do not like to stay in the same position for too long. Human Resources is really great.

Cons

Getting time off is a huge hassle. I've missed every holiday (with the exception of one Christmas) and countless celebrations such as birthdays, graduations, etc. This is definitely an industry con, but it is also a Four Seasons con as I find management doesn't bother to think outside of the box to help give you these special days off once in a while. I'm a very reliable employee. I've called in sick once (in two years!!!) and only request two or three days off per year. I also volunteer to work at every event put on by the hotel and I feel that I am never recognized for it by management (aside from HR recognizing me).

One big con in is that employees do not work as a team. Everyone is there to put in their eight hours and go home. It is a very cold and lonely feeling as co-workers are also not afraid to point fingers. Not only is it stressful enough to work in a leading hotel company by giving our guests flawless and intuitive service, but it also feels like I need to please my senior co-workers with their personal preferences so they do not try to make me appear bad to management. I can handle my own workload, but I wish we could work as a team to deliver even better service to our guests, and to make a very demanding work place feel like a second home.

When we are short staff, which feels like most of the time, they really work you to the bone. We were short staff in quarter 3 and some of 4. (July/August/September/October) In one month I worked six days every week and it wasn't uncommon to work 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 day scheduled stretches (no overtime). You are able to say no to overtime and you don't have to come into work on your day off when someone else calls in sick, but I was scared to say no because I felt like I had to try very, very hard to be liked and to be seen as a good, solid worker. Luckily I am young an have the energy for this work and do not have kids. I don't think I could have this job if I had a family to take care of.

Advice to Management

Please hire more employees. Please check in with employees one on one to make sure everything is running smoothly.

10. "Great experience however it's very stressful."

Current Employee - Garde Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Garde Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Great experience, really good health benefits, better salary standards than any other food and beverage jobs out there. A wonderful place for the beginners and for people who is looking for a stable job in this industry.

Cons

The hours are horrible, work day and night, holidays and weekends...Too much inside politics and hard to get promoted.