Four Seasons Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Four Seasons CEO Allen Smith
Allen Smith

Pros
  • great benefits at other locations (in 53 reviews)

• There are plenty of comp nights as well as friends and family rates for hotels around the world (in 43 reviews)

Cons

"Poor Leadership, Uninspiring, and Awful Relationship Skills for a 4-Star Vail Hotel"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vail, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vail, CO

I have been working at Four Seasons (More than a year)

Pros

The Four Seasons Vail definitely "gets by" since they bring in talent with their high pay rates in comparison with their Comp Sets. The Health Care, Dental, Vision Benefits are really good. I love the Employee Ski Pass option or you can use it for something else health related if you're not into that sort of thing. The Employee Cafeteria food is a really nice bonus and the food is pretty tasty and fairly nutritional. The Employee Discount on Spa Treatments is also very good.

Cons

The Planning Committee and the Manager Team are completely uninspiring when it comes to providing great service. The FS touts itself as a company that takes pride in innovation however there are no Quality Improvement projects or teams. The hotel has a great product but the internal structure, processes, and business culture is a shocking mess.

Advice to Management

This hotel needs a huge internal shifting of managerial direction, goals, and relationship extension to the line staff. Huge strides can be made in inspiring employees, both at the manager and the line staff level. Managers need training on relationship extension, writing clear and professional communications, holding managers and staff accountable to standards, recognizing staff (and each other for that matter), and public speaking skills. The HR dept is renown for being curt; so don't expect any warm fuzzy's here. The Ops Division is currently a Boys Club and Sales and CCS is a Girls Club so if you want to move up successfully you're pretty much segregated right away by sex. Instead of hiring quality staff with previous experience who can handle internal quality improvement; they seem to throw inexperienced young managers at the problems and over staff. At first, I thought this was due to the change of the GM position this past Fall but the systemic problems are still chronic. Overall, the internal business culture and structure at the Vail location is completely depressing and unimpressive for such a great brand and physical product.

2. "Good Company, Upper Management Not Honest"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Four Seasons (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, employee comp nights, high end guests, nice building

Cons

perks are sub par for silicon valley, upper management is dishonest, low pay for area

Advice to Management

hold the highest managers in the hotel accountable, hire character and train skill, lack of character in senior manager does not help staff or managers.

3. "Like A Dysfunctional Family"

I worked at Four Seasons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits, people, and job itself seem amazing at first. You're told they promote from within and that they care about you and your career.

Cons

All that good stuff unravels pretty quickly and you're left working 7...8...9 days in a row without a day off, at all hours of the day and night.

Advice to Management

Put your money where your mouth is - promote from within and assist employees who want to develop their careers. Isn't it worth it to groom someone to be a lifelong, loyal, career employee?

5. "Groundhog's Day"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Four Seasons (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits include discounts at other properties

Cons

Very corporate with little room to move up in company unless someone quits or drops died. Overall lack of creativity and lower level employees are treated like just another number. Management will quickly promote those who just go with the flow and suck up to them. Those they show passion and an entrepreneurial spirit are not looked at highly. Every day was like Groundhog's Day and Office Space.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Catering Sales Manager in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Catering Sales Manager in Newark, CA

I have been working at Four Seasons (More than a year)

Pros

Great company if you want a foundation in luxury service. Go for the hotels or resorts that are newer

Cons

The company today has drifted from the core values it used to be. Company is a leader in the luxury industry yet is still so backwards in many ways. Older properties are very stuck in their ways and do not stay current to today's trends and today's technology. They are very stuck in their set ways which hinders growth and creates tremendous frustration.

7. "Food & Beverage Department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Four Seasons (More than a year)

Pros

The hourly staff cared very much for each other and customer service. They assisted each other in providing the best possible experience for most guests and patrons. Two of the best Hotel Managers and GMs I have worked with in 25 years in hospitality. The staff was really generous in raising money for Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (quarterly or Holiday sales raised funds with a little competition between different hotel departments, raising $$$$).

Cons

No minorities in management roles; at least in view of the public. No benefits, including health insurance/sick days/holiday pay for some employees; even those with 10+ years of service to the hotel. If you graduated from PSU or Cornell, you were almost guaranteed a position in management (under the past HR regime), even with little or no previous supervisory/management experience. HRD's sons are/were PSU & Cornell alums.

Advice to Management

Follow the FSHR handbook/SOP for all staff. Disturbing behavior of some in management roles, unbecoming of the standards set by Mr. Isadore Sharp, founder of FSHR.

8. "This particular property is a huge mess"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

Pros

Good travel benefits and good insurance

Cons

Overall negative experience working there. They will work you into the ground, without any appreciation.

Advice to Management

Need to get out of the 80s and get on with the modern world.

9. "Disappointed in brand experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson Hole, WY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson Hole, WY

I worked at Four Seasons full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the pro's of working for this resort were flexible seasonal contracts. There are beautiful destination resorts to work in. Ski locker at the base of ski resort.

Cons

I joined this company with hopes of opportunity in management, career advancement, and world travel opportunities. When I joined the company I had 5 years of management experience and over 11 years of hospitality/food and beverage/tourism work experience. Management was retched, with constant turn over (I worked under 30 managers in 5+ years). HR quoted my experience to be "equivalent to that of a McDonald's worker" on multiple occasions. (When I left the company I had 15 years of experience in hospitality and resorts with competitive name brands). A second HR manager told me "my job could be done by a monkey". The company reals you in with "free vacation comp nights". In over 5 years I never had a single request granted to use my comp nights as a vacation perk. Hours can be insane 18 hours on 4 hours off. Many employees would sleep in closets or in their cars out back of the resort because you would only have 2-6 hours off between shifts. I would often be told I couldn't have a break so I hid in bathrooms and closets to eat food because I wouldn't be able to otherwise. A manager told me if I wasn't willing to work 18 hours straight without a break I would be fired. HR and GM confirmed in a meeting at this particular resort they were not required to give breaks to employees. I had applied for 13 task force and requests for transfer, all were denied in a short 4 years. The only 3 female managers who I met that were successful at advancement had slept their way to the top. I was often told I would not be considered for certain types of work within the company because I was a female. Early in my career with Four Seasons I requested a transfer from the director of a department, I mentioned that I had a previous manager who was really great working with. The director of the department told me "that's great, why don't you quit here and see if you can work for them at their new location, we will not transfer you.". I found the brand is very fond of extremely young staff. I often had managers who were under 25 years old with absolutely NO work experience. For many managers it was their first job, often directly out of a hospitality management trade school. Extremely moldable however, incredibly hard to work under, events were often disastrous from behind the scenes, and the young managers lacked foresight and understanding for many tasks because of lack of experience.

Advice to Management

Don't lead your employees with a sink or swim mentality. You may be an old fashioned company but equal wages and opportunity for females is a thing in the 21st century. Management and HR at multiple locations are people squashers and say really horrible things to their employees.

"Management Trainee"

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Four Seasons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Allows you to work in different locations around the world. Good name to have on your resume.

Cons

Atlanta property is disorganized had no idea what a management trainee is supposed to do. I relocated to join what I thought was a world class program. It paid $10 an hour. I am not joking.

Advice to Management

Have a clear understanding of what the management training program consists of and implement accordingly.

11. "Not a true Four Seasons"

I worked at Four Seasons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company perks as an overall Four Seasons

Cons

This property is in desperate need of a renovation and a change in upper management. You are over worked, under paid and under appreciated.