Four Seasons Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Four Seasons CEO Allen Smith
Allen Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great benefits and wonderful work atmosphere (in 74 reviews)

• Good bran to work for and opportunity to move around the world (in 24 reviews)

Cons

1. "High standards and great management make this hotel chain a dream to work for."

Former Employee - Front Desk in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Santa Barbara, CA

Pros

The Four Seasons has a great track record from hiring and promoting employees from within. Great benefits such as free room nights and 50% off food and beverage while visiting any Four Seasons also add to the great perks of working for this hotel chain. The high level of standards and the strong work ethic that is taught to employees is admirable and makes people proud to be a part of this company.

Cons

Working on holidays and weekends.

Advice to Management

I was always impressed how the General Manager showed the same level of respect for the on site engineers, housekeeping staff, etc. as he did for fellow senior management. It united all of the employees and kept the morale high.

"Outward appearances are hard to beat, internally it's a timebomb."

Former Employee - Food and Beverage Assistant Manager in Teton Village, WY
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage Assistant Manager in Teton Village, WY

Pros

You are always working in a beautiful environment, and the room night benefits are incredible. I almost always enjoyed my coworkers.

Cons

The hours and the management staff.

Advice to Management

Stop the aggressive growth plan! When I started working for the Four Seasons in 1999 there were some pretty stringent parameters for hiring management staff. Because of the aggressive growth it seems that the standards have slipped over time. I used to feel that I worked for and with some pretty amazing people, but as the company grew it seems that any Joe Blow from the Ritz could come over from an assistant management position and be a department head for the Four Seasons. It never used to be like that. Department Heads from the Ritz could start with the FS as Assistant Managers and work up. It made for a much more solid foundation for the management team. That's the major reason I left the company, I would have been a lifer if I hadn't been so continually dissappointed.

"Overall a wonderful company, strives for excellence all around."

Current Employee - Ex-Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Ex-Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

FS is one of the leading hotel companies and so the training and experience are highly sought after by other employers. It is always in pursuit of excellence, and pours enormous resources into this quest, which I found admirable. Many other hotel companies are purely focused on the bottom line.

They treat the line staff very well. The potential for career growth is strong, and International transfers are common so it can be a great way to see the world and work with people from other cultures.

They provide complimentary room nights and discounts on Food and Beverage to all employees, typically 5 free nights after one year of employment, with restrictions.

Cons

While FS treats it line staff very well, it demands a lot of its managers. All managers are required to work a minimum of 10 hours per day, and often times need to work more hours to get the job done to the high standards demanded. While this can be understandable once and awhile, they do not return the favor during slow times and you cannot go home under 10 hours even if your work is done. ( some exceptions made for special situations)

Decision making is concentrated in senior management. As a mid level manager I did not feel empowered to make all the decisions I could have made on my own...always had to run things past one level up even though the outcome was predictable.

Advice to Management

Evaluate the work-life balance situation. Stop paying lip service to this and just make it happen! It is the main reason I left the company.

4. "Working for Four Seasons has been a rewarding and enriching experience"

Current Employee - Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Career opportunities, Four Seasons has many different styles of properties in many different countries. For those people who want to travel and grow their career there are many opportunties. Also you do not need to travel if your circumstances won't allow it.
    You would work with a wonderful, intelligent, like minded group of people who all understand the Company goals and work collaboratively together to achieve them.
    Benefits such as complimentary room nights at Four Seasons Hotels
    You would work in very pleasant conditions

Cons

No real downside, it's a pleasure to go to work. We work hard but are recognised and rewarded for it and we play hard as well.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture of our hotels as we grow larger, don't compromise

5. "This is a okay job for the money"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The amount of money that you can potentially make in any given year.

Cons

The very lone hours, working weekends, stress to meet sales deadlines.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees more about problems with selling product and concerns that the potential customers may have regarding those products.

"Looks good to have on a resume but benefits only look good on paper and management does not walk the walk."

Former Employee - Health Club Attendant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Health Club Attendant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

They have an outstanding reputation that looks great on a resume. They hire the best people.

Cons

Management has gone downhill and the founder is out of touch with reality. Double standard for equal treatment. Getting time off is difficult and people are unwilling to help others out with time off.

Advice to Management

Don't act like you're better than the regular employees. Walk the walk and give personal feedback for performance. Nobody wants to be congratulated by a general company wide email when the sender has never bothered to introduce themselves.

"If you feel comfortable working where being robotic is rewarded, work for Four Seasons."

Current Employee - Rather Not Say
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say

Pros

Structured, high service standards, fantastic trainings. It is the best place to learn the basics of hotel management.

Cons

Too structured lacking flexibility during dynamic economic times. Too many long time employees who are "dead weight" to the company.

Advice to Management

Not enough thinkers, too many followers. Staff needs leadership that can offer inspiration and motivation.

"You will succeed in this company if you kiss ass for sure; this means giving up who you are and what you believe in"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

Pros

You get complimentary nights at any four seasons depending on the years you had with the company. But they are more often than not unavailable.

Cons

They expect you to be perfect more than perfect but do not recognize what you do for the company.

Advice to Management

If nothing is ever good enough for you guys, perhaps you guys are not good enough to run this hotel!
    It is a shame that this company preaches to care about people... but you guys just don't give a damn PC members.

9. "Best Hotel Company to work for and with."

Current Employee - Assistant Food and Beverage Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Food and Beverage Manager

Pros

Four Seasons is a great company to work for. Four Seasons walks the talk when it comes to the philosophy of the Golden Rule-- treating other people as you wish to be treated. The culture of a Four Seasons Hotel is one of friendliness and everyone helping each other out. Four Seasons believes in hiring from with in and supporting its employees and managers. Even during and economic downturn the company is doing all it can to ensure its employees keep their jobs.

Cons

We all know that hours in hospitality and the compensation are long, but working for a company like Four Seasons that is dedicated to being the best in class in all locations it makes it okay that we work the hours we do and make the money we do as well.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen and support your hourly employees who are in the trenches each and every day making Four Seasons the company it is.. as our guests come back because of them.

10. "Loved the people I worked with"

Former Employee - Purchasing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Purchasing in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Four Seasons provided the best service possible that money can buy. I was proud to work for this company. The best part of working for this company were the people. They hire the best and brightest people. You are part of a family of talented people.

Cons

Long hours and little pay. The guest came before the employees every time even when the guest was wrong. They did everything possible to burn out junior managers.

Advice to Management

Division managers should know what goes on in there departments. Pull your head out of the sand.