Foursquare Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 42 reviews

3.4
Foursquare CEO Jeff Glueck
Jeff Glueck
Pros
  • "Excellent company culture, community activities(in 4 reviews)

• "Free lunch 2 days a week, free health insurance, lot of fun company events(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "(in 2 reviews)

• "(in 2 reviews)

"It's a good company, don't listen to the haters"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Foursquare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Perhaps I’m lucky to be in one of the “pockets of good engineering” mentioned in a recent negative review but I don’t agree with the negative attitude and sentiment in some of the reviews about Foursquare. I think Foursquare is an excellent company built around a truly innovative product with lots of exciting work to do. Company leadership is strong and values transparency, also has the rare quality of taking the... ethics of data products very seriously. Even Steve Wozniak recently cited Foursquare in an interview as an example of a great ethical company. The recent reviews about career opportunities being limited at Foursquare are strange, because my experience has been the opposite especially compared to other tech companies I’ve worked at. I’ve been working in tech for ten years at three different companies, and I’m no stranger to bad leadership. The team I’m on now is the strongest, both in terms of camaraderie and also in terms of leadership and organization, that I have ever experienced. Our roadmap this year is aggressive and the engineering org is small, which means that everyone around me is working on high impact work and opportunities to take on new and interesting projects are everywhere. There simply is no room to waste time and energy on something which might be useless. Everyone’s work matters. Our tech stack is much much better than it used to be. Some people think that just because everything isn’t shiny and new, that the sky is falling. In the past year alone there have been some huge accomplishments paying down tech debt that the company accrued over the first nine years. The engineering org is in the process of deprecating its server farm and moving everything to AWS. Sure, at this moment we’re not where we want it to be, but remember this company is ten years old and there is inevitably old code lying around. When you look at the big picture—including the progress that has already been made, and the commitment and support from leadership to continue the good work, and the sheer amount of talent that has gone into making our code more modern—then the trajectory for the engineering org actually looks quite good. I’m truly impressed by the talent and energy of the engineering org at Foursquare, and I’m happy to be learning and growing here.

Cons

The migration to AWS is a lot of work. Fighting tech debt is hard.

Foursquare2019-03-16

"still living in the past, drags the company down"

Former Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Foursquare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Engineers are treated like royalty. Generous benefits

Cons

Lots of legacy issues they need to work through. Management still thinks they are Foursquare from the heyday and perpetuates their delusions and forgets their mission forwards.

Advice to Management

Fire all the old foursquare people and hire new engineers that gives an objective fresh look at the stack. It is hideous.

Foursquare2019-07-28

"Well positioned, but it will come down to execution"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Foursquare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Truly differentiated data set. People were generally pretty nice and well intended.

Cons

Forecasting revenue and setting goals in a world that's largely rejecting managed service media.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on accountability, while at the same time get a more sophisticated understanding of marketplace issues that impact performance.

Foursquare2019-06-26

"Still relevant, still growing, a good place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Foursquare full-time for more than a year

Pros

- True transparency from the highest levels down to junior employees - A ton of autonomy and ownership across the company, especially in technical roles - The company is starting to make hard decisions about subpar talent and its product direction - BIG opportunities to disrupt the location intelligence space, especially after the Placed acquisition - Very strong talent across functions - People truly care... about each other and the company - Inclusive culture, the company feels like it believes and lives its values (most of the time) - A great alumni network, people that leave Foursquare go on to be very successful

Cons

- Compensation can't compete with FAANG - Product goals change constantly, it's hard to keep up - Took too long to re-focus on enterprise solutions over consumer apps - Lack of structure can be a blessing and a curse - Growing pains of a company trying to reach the next level

Advice to Management

Keep making tough decisions that will allow Foursquare's potential to be realized. The technology is so powerful and a lack of strategic direction will hamper Foursquare's growth. Worry less about politics and more about the bottom line. Cultures evolve and the Foursquare of old is dead. Long live Foursquare!

Foursquare2019-06-06

"Awful company"

I worked at Foursquare full-time

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Completely disorganized with condescending, ineffective leaders trying to ignore that the company should have been sold/shut down years ago.

Advice to Management

Just stop.

Foursquare2019-06-15
  6. "Unreal Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Foursquare part-time for less than a year

Pros

Super open, flexible, productive, friendly environment

Cons

sometimes can be distracting and unorganized--nature of the business though

Foursquare2019-05-05

"A shell of its former self"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Foursquare full-time

Pros

Still some good pockets of talent holding the ship together. Free lunches. Insurance plan is solid. Engineering pay bands have finally been updated to make them slightly more competitive. Earnest attempts are being made to improve the tech stack and developer tools. Honest work being put in to maintain a good company culture and employee experience.

Cons

Half of senior engineering management is either toxic or on cruise control while the other half is over worked and struggling to keep the train moving. Attrition has been incredibly demoralizing over the last two years. The sales organization is a mess (constantly over promising and selling products that don't even exist yet). Career growth opportunities have dwindled greatly. The value proposition of the... company has gone from developing the apps that helped people explore cities and keep up with their friends to making money off of tracking as many people as possible.

Advice to Management

Senior management never listened to advice/warnings before. Why would they start now?

Foursquare2019-03-09

"Needs better engineering management and leadership"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Foursquare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

CEO successfully pivoted the company from consumer to enterprise business. Consumer apps are dead, but enterprise products still have a chance. Sales team is good at its job. Company has not engaged in any privacy violations.

Cons

Senior engineering management views arrogance and authoritarianism as virtues. Individual contributors are not valued as much as "managers". Culture is corporate and political. Amidst the dysfunction, tech is falling behind.

Advice to Management

CEO needs to have lots of one on ones with engineers at all levels, learn about ongoing frustrations, and set up a senior engineering management that is not stymied by corporate politics, authoritarianism, and ego.

Foursquare2019-03-06

"Toxic management leading to engineers quitting"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Foursquare full-time for less than a year

Pros

A few good colleagues remain, some good engineers, some core aspects of the business like City Guide still have integrity from the older days. There may possibly be growing momentum to overhaul engineering management, which could lead to positive changes in the long run.

Cons

Below market salaries, currently no 401(k) matching, the company refused to change its policy on forced arbitration for sexual harassment victims despite employee objections. Struggling to hire enough people to replace everyone who is quitting, creating a toxic, overworked environment. People are reporting bait and switch jobs and the company is becoming overly bureaucratic and corporate. Bad investment in... engineering tools and resources, dysfunctional IT policies and frequent outages/emergencies. No chances for innovative work and no concept of meaningful career advancement.

Foursquare2019-02-09

"Pros and Cons - choose your priorities"

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at Foursquare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Incredible flexible time off, unlimited vacation. Kind, humanitarian upper management. Excellent company culture, community activities. The HR and recruiting department is probably the strongest of anywhere. A constantly changing environment where you have a lot of opportunities to define who you are and what you want to do.

Cons

Unclear, changing priorities. Teams started many projects/experiments, but never continue or apply learnings. Many people had this sense of "lostness." Easy to become demotivated or lose sight of what you're doing or what your future could be. But, if you're really good at navigating social and management politics and you're a relentless go-getter at this point in your life who needs no direction or strategy to make... things happen, you'll do well.

Foursquare2018-11-26