Fox Restaurant Concepts Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Fox Restaurant Concepts Founder Sam Fox
Sam Fox

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Awesome team, great food, independent work environment (in 19 reviews)

• good people good food nice scenery (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely long hours 12 is the usual per day (in 22 reviews)

• Long hours, sometimes unrealistic expectations from upper management divorced from the reality on the ground (in 14 reviews)

1. "FOH Manager"

Current Employee - FOH Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - FOH Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Fox Restaurant Concepts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Teacher was awesome, lots of important information!

Cons

Actors in the videos were not the best!

Advice to Management

keep up the great work!

2. "Okay at Best"

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Fox Restaurant Concepts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment, wonderful coworkers. Great middle management - it's evident that they want to improve the restaurant; however, do little to make it happen. Great at listening to new ideas, but no action to establish them. Great job if you're looking for something part time and have no interest in moving up within the company.

Cons

Only benefit to hourly servers is 35% off discount on food. I understand we use lots of produce in our meals, but taking off 35% just makes the meals barely reasonably priced. FOH and BOH are promised that the company likes to hire within. I've been with the company for almost a year and I haven't seen it happen once on either sides (with the exception of shift leads). Solely hiring new management. When I started, my restaurant was very picky about who they hire, but now it seems they hire anyone capable of filling out an application. Upper management and "the big kitchen" couldn't care less about employees or what they have to say, they just love a good paycheck. Hard work is never recognized nor praised, so honestly don't even try. Employees are promised $100 per team member recruited that stay for a minimum of 3 months. As of now I'm going on 11 weeks waiting for the big kitchen to send me my money (not the only one experiencing this in my restaurant, others have been waiting longer). I honestly haven't ever seen anyone granted the $100 either. I think "restaurant puppy mill" is the perfect definition for this company. Constantly working to build new restaurants up just to sell them off within a few years. Lots of moving around with management. With my time in the restaurant I have seen at least 9 different managers, not including temporary ones, so don't get too attached. Lot's of avoidance by management, both FOH and BOH, when it comes to anything money related. Raises are hard to come by, and again, have yet to see someone granted one. Lastly, it seems the big kitchen and Sam Fox have no idea who the GMs are that are opening their restaurants. Like I said earlier, they're just there for the pay check. Don't seem very qualified to me, but that's just my opinion.

Advice to Management

Perhaps listen to employees and recognize hard work. After all, they are the face and representation of the company. Also check in with management at restaurants more often to keep them in check. Have some regard for the hard work from employees is a big one for me.

3. "Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Fox Restaurant Concepts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Provides an environment to prosper and make money. FRC is seen as an upscale & affluent restaurant and this attracts people willing to spend money. The menu items are pricey but as someone who want to make tips it provides and easy and obtainable way to make ends meet and live comfortably.

Cons

Management is always on you, they demand perfection which isn't bad but at time it can be overwhelming having a manager on your back.

Advice to Management

Dont micro manage as much.

4. "It is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Hostess in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Hostess in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Fox Restaurant Concepts part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are very friendly and helpful. We work as a team. Compensation is fair.
    We get a 35% discount on food. The coworkers make great friends with each other.

Cons

No proper break room for employees. Sometimes it can get loud and hectic on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. If we are really busy, it can get stressful. Sometimes customers complain but we just send them to a manager. A manager takes care of it.

Advice to Management

Pulling open the doors and pulling out chairs can be emasculating to do for the male guests.

5. "Good company to work for."

Former Employee - Prep Cook in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Prep Cook in Plano, TX

I worked at Fox Restaurant Concepts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive salaries/promote from within/ reasonable work hours/ benefits after one year (unless hired as management)/kitchen positions are not difficult/ chances of getting hired with little to no experience- very good

Cons

Typically hires younger hipper employees/ no room for growth if older than 35/ tend to hire anyone who says they can boil water. Upper management has a “I am better than you” attitude which creates divisions and animosity among co workers.

Advice to Management

Please take a look at the culture you create, sometimes work environment can be hostile. Older individuals have plenty to contribute to your organization, don’t over look.

Nov 15, 2017 – Director of Staffing

A "better than you environment" is not who we are. This comment has been shared with our locations in Plano for immediate attention. Additionally, we have a work force of all kinds of... More

"Very disappointing"

Former Employee - Bartender in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Bartender in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Fox Restaurant Concepts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There isn’t a standard uniform.
    You get a 35% discount at all Fox Concept restaurants.
    The wine, beer, and liquor classes teach crucial material.

Cons

Scheduling is extremely inconsistent. Was told by management that scheduling was going to be given a month ahead of time when in reality it was given less than 48 hours before the scheduled week started. Shift swaps that were approved by both employees and management weren’t honored on a consistent basis. Going in for a scheduled shift could mean being forced to stay for not only your scheduled shift but also an entire shift you were not scheduled to work (without a break). There wasn’t a designated area for employee waters which would have been great considering most of the employees were working 12+ hour shifts in indoor/outdoor restaurant with no breaks.

Was told by management that “it was company policy to redistribute tip money amongst other workers if you don’t go in to get it within 3 weeks.” Which leads me to believe that this company doesn’t care about lawful handling of employees’ money as long as the company is hitting their sales mark.

Advice to Management

Be transparent ahead of time about what you need from future employees when it comes to scheduling. Be honest with employees about money policies. Employees aren’t work horses and need breaks for water and food especially when the temperature outside is averaging 90+ degrees.

Nov 15, 2017 – Director of Staffing

Hello - we hear you. This review was passed along to our Director of Operations for immediate store follow up. We are listening and addressing.

"Restaurant Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Fox Restaurant Concepts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product, customers easy to accomidate

Cons

Micromanaged, no creative, do exactly what the list says, and have several different directions from upper management.

Advice to Management

empower your people

Nov 15, 2017 – Director of Staffing

Note - we do not have a position title of Project Manager in Fairfax, VA...

8. "FRC is the place to be"

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Fox Restaurant Concepts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Positive, uplifting, energetic people throughout the ever growing company

Cons

No cons, but long hours and be prepared to work hard

Advice to Management

Keep positive and working hard for your team every day

9. "Great Company to work for"

Former Employee - Sous Chef in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sous Chef in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Fox Restaurant Concepts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to work up their chain.

Cons

They are always hiring new people

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

10. "I Love North"

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Fox Restaurant Concepts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyday is a challenge and an opportunity to learn something new. Every employee is welcoming and the company truly makes you feel like you matter! They give you the tools to succeed and value their employees.

Cons

Unless you don't like working somewhere where every day is fast paced and different, there are no cons to working for FRC.