Foxwoods Resort Casino "free food" Reviews | Glassdoor

Foxwoods Resort Casino Employee Reviews about "free food"

Updated Sep 29, 2019

3.5
Foxwoods Resort Casino CEO John J. James
John J. James
Pros
  • "A lot of breaks, free food during breaks, pay was decent(in 17 reviews)

• "Good benefits, good co-workers, learned a lot(in 15 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "free food"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Cook3"

Current Employee - Pastry Cook in Mashantucket, CT

I have been working at Foxwoods Resort Casino full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good benefits Free food Paid vacation

Cons

Chance to get higher position is low if your department is small

Advice to Management

——————————

Foxwoods Resort Casino2017-12-08
  2. "Abused"

Former Employee - Grand Pequot Shift Manager in Ledyard, CT

I worked at Foxwoods Resort Casino full-time for less than a year

Pros

There really are not any pros, especially when you're in a salaried position, that is understaffed and you can't break away for your lunch to enjoy the free food.

Cons

During my tenure at Foxwoods, I encountered direct verbal abuse from the subordinate tribal members on board. Reported several times to human resources, in writing and through my management, however absolutely nothing was ever addressed. Bottom line, if you are not tribal, don't even try to work at this establishment. Oh, you'll get the job because tribal members are so lazy and overpaid at $25 an hour, tax free,... free benefits, free untaxed land, etc. The current tribal members are a disgrace to the original Pequot heritage and these people are less than 1% Pequot. Not one would ever survive in the real world... what a sad, sad situation. I have been employed at other tribal casinos and this is the only one that operates in this way.

Foxwoods Resort Casino2019-09-29

"Consider yourself lucky if they actually give you a 30 minute break on a 9 hour shift."

Former Intern - Food and Beverage Assistant Manager in Mashantucket, CT

I worked at Foxwoods Resort Casino for more than 10 years

Pros

Free food(but be ready for a lot of food poisoning) the benefits have been cut, but there is still medical benefits at a cost.

Cons

Zero training, zero development of staff, Serious health code violations through out the company, exposure to cockroaches, rats, biting flies, chemicals, severely high levels of chemicals in the water(as well as poor quality recycled water has led to a huge amount of illness and cancer throughout the workforce) employees are subjected to repetitive strain injury and told it is their own problem(dealing cards,... carrying drink and food trays)... wait until you meet the upper management they operate with their top priority being their bonus and they lay off an entire workforce of older to middle age people to cut health benefits because Directors need their bonuses. life-sucking upper level management who operate under the risk and reward management style and don't give a second thought to training and coaching instead, just firing. There is a reason they are always hiring. Because the management is so terrible, especially in food and beverage, the moral is stifling..The employee relations department is a joke, people are allowed to work in hostile environments where sexual harassment, age, gender bias and a looming ora of negativity... what's the motto, the loonies run the asylum? If you are different there is no inclusion in this workplace, you will be singled out and made to feel inferior.. it is a "sovereign nation" so don't expect them to follow federal or state guidelines on equal opportunity, health codes, workplace safety, or any other employee protection, they make their own laws to suit themselves.

Advice to Management

Put in place a training and improvement program that you actually stick with. Follow federal labor regulations and ensure you have management who aren't bias against certain race or age groups. Have the tribe run the place and get rid of the entire lot of management in currently, no one runs a business like an owner who has a vested interest in it. People who have been in management 25+ years are obviously past... their primes and have lived by some pretty bad principles for far to long(the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results). Over the 16 years I had been with the company I witnessed various systems come into play(reward systems, incentives, coaching and development classes) but lower level managers change so frequently due to the abuse they are subjected to, none of the systems were ever adhered to. Most employees are subjected to such abuse from the losing customers and the terrible management that they develop drinking and drug habits, gain weight severely, or just become terribly depressed and join a union against Foxwoods. Getting the guts, to get out of Foxwoods was my only saving grace. Working for a new business I realized that the way Foxwoods manages their workforce is terribly wrong and detrimental to the success of the company. I'm Foxwoods there is no transparency, no trust, no compassion, no hearts, you are nothing but a number if you work for Foxwoods food and beverage.

Foxwoods Resort Casino2017-04-21

"Esthetician"

Former Employee - SPA in Ledyard, CT

I worked at Foxwoods Resort Casino full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Use to be a great place. Management and Tribal members cared about treating employees fairly. Good health benefits. Free food. Uniforms so clothing cost are low Met many great friends there.

Cons

Low moral, management and tribe are usually in conflict. You can loose seniority to a tribal member. Tribal employees can do the same job as you and make more money. Breeds resentment .... Overall...... it's not the place it use to be in the 90's When every one wanted to work there. Left after 15 years. Management always seem to be in conflict with Tribe.

Advice to Management

Hire Quality people, pay a little more. Tribal and non tribal employees get same pay and same treatment. Cannot take seniority away from other employees.

Foxwoods Resort Casino2017-03-29
  5. "Poker"

Former Employee - Poker Dealer

I worked at Foxwoods Resort Casino full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of breaks, free food during breaks, pay was decent.

Cons

Management didn't seem to care about dealer issues. This was only applicable to the poker room management and they often pawned off any issues to the union reps, who were terrible. Smoking environment was gross.

Foxwoods Resort Casino2016-07-25
  6. "Your Mileage May Vary"

Former Employee - Kitchen Utilities in Groton, CT

I worked at Foxwoods Resort Casino full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free food at the cafeteria.

Cons

Little to no chance of advancement within the company if your non-tribal. Managers tend to favor certain nationalities and races. Change of schedule is near impossible as it's seniority base when the annual schedule rotation comes around and the most junior people are stuck working grave.

Advice to Management

Actually adhere to equal employment and quit playing favorites towards certain groups of people and treat everyone equally. Provide opportunities for advancement for entry-level workers. Actually pay your workers above minumum wage

Foxwoods Resort Casino2016-01-24
  7. "Just a hard worker"

I have been working at Foxwoods Resort Casino full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It is true what you hear. The pros to working at Foxwoods would be the paid break time and at times the free food. Also, I enjoy working with most of the people that I work with. In the beginning the benefits were fantastic, however, that is no so anymore. Yes, the benefits are still better than many other places, but when we rarely get an increase to our pay and the cost of our benifits keeps going up our pay... checks are going backwards. I bring home less now than I did 6 years ago. I have been with the company over 20 years. I have seen some great things with this company and have seen some really bad things.

Cons

My first an foremost con for this company would be the policy the tribe has in place for tribal preference. I completely understand that this is a 'family' business and that it's important to raise up the people in the 'family' to run the busniess, but there is a huge difference between hiring a tribal member that has the combination of knowledge, education and skill to do the job and hiring a tribal member that has... none of these attributes. Again I have been here a very long time and I am thankful for the job. But time and time again I see unqualified people being handed a job because they are tribal over someone that has worked hard for the company has gained the knowledge, education and experience to get promoted yet because the tribe comes in an says the tribal member even if they have know experience in the field will most always get the position. Now this is not a tribal bashing post, over the years I have worked with many tribal members and in many cases the members are awesome to work with, there are the few and I do say the few that are a little to big for the egos and are not a very pleasant to work with. My complained is agains the preference policy or more importantly how it is applied.

Advice to Management

Encourage an environment of growth within your company especial for the non tribal memebers that have poured many years into building your business. If you want loyality from your employees, show them that you care enough to give them the opportunity move and grow with your company. I have come to a time in my life that it's just about time for me to move on and I would like to think that the company I have worked... for for so many years would hears the things that I have to say. I wish the company and the tribe all the best. Don't lose focus of what is really important. The People

Foxwoods Resort Casino2015-08-28

"Casino Credit Representative"

Former Employee - Credit Representative in Mashantucket, CT

I worked at Foxwoods Resort Casino full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Free Food was nice. Internet usage Free stuff on occasion Indoor job.

Cons

No true raise after 7 years of employment Credit Director would not provide a raise or promote from within Credit executives treat representatives like a lower class citizen If your not a tribal member, don't count on getting promoted or making more money

Advice to Management

Promote from within and give your loyal staff a shot at a better future.

Foxwoods Resort Casino2015-06-02

"I've worked at Foxwoods Resort Casino for 6 years."

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Mashantucket, CT

I have been working at Foxwoods Resort Casino full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Free food, paid breaks parking on site, health discount for local gyms, 401K match hourly employees only,

Cons

Some of the employees and management are as idiotic and mean as some of the customers. It's almost impossible to move out of your department. Benefits continue to decline like quality of free food, cost for insurance, less people on insurance due to hiring casuals and part time, smoking is allowed which caused me to have asthma. Job security is non existent due to financial difficulties with the company over $1... billion in debt. Tribe has Indian preference for jobs and shifts. Environment can be noisy and work stations ergonomically incorrect. Management in your department views you as a number, they really don't care about anyone they just pretend to and they do a poor job pretending. You can't get straight answers from management when you ask them questions. Management likes to confuse customers and doesn't like to make anything easy for them.

Advice to Management

Treat employees and customers better. Spend your money improving benefits and stop wasting money with needless renovations, building more casinos, etc take care of this one first. Make your facility smoke free and offer more room for advancement for employees.

Foxwoods Resort Casino2014-11-23

"Terrible Management on Power Trip, Disorganized, Unqualified people running property"

I worked at Foxwoods Resort Casino

Pros

Free food, room discounts, friendly co-workers

Cons

A lot of the upper management is terrible and unqualified to be in a position of authority. They dilly dally, horse around with each other, act like a high school clique. Everything is extremely political and favoritism is prevalent, therefore a lot of undeserving employees get away with a lot without getting disciplined. Managers on a lower level are over worked and underpaid, nepotism is everywhere. Native... american family members are overpriviledged and underdisciplined since they will technically never get fired.

Advice to Management

Grow up and run a business like it should be and maybe you wont have to worry about it going bankrupt.

Foxwoods Resort Casino2014-09-18