Fractal Analytics Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Fractal Analytics CEO Srikanth Velamakanni
Srikanth Velamakanni

Cons

"Short sighted management, inefficient enabling functions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Fractal Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good exposure to work and good amount of team work. Ethical environment. Focused on values/integrity

Cons

Short sighted top management, every year a new experiment is done proving that the older one failed. Nepotism. Employees who know the right people are favored. Inefficient enabling functions. They move employees to US without any guidelines. US policies are not at all employee-centric. No firing policy. People screwing up projects/not performing well are sitting at the top levels.

Advice to Management

Need to turn the flush on, once in a while

"Not a place you'd want to do an internship at!"

Former Intern - Supply Chain Analyst Intern in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Intern - Supply Chain Analyst Intern in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Fractal Analytics as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

People were pretty friendly and excited to share ideas.
    The projects are really interesting. Got to talk to interact with senior management.
    You could get a handle on a huge array of tools that are used in analytics.

Cons

Very poor communication between interns in the US and the managers in India.
    Had to wait for about 6 months to receive compensation.

Advice to Management

Interns join a company with the aim of learning new things and eventually converting their internship into a full time job. You'll might want to consider designing a proper program for interns and eventually recruit them for a full time job based on performance.

"Do your due diligence, this ain't your daddy's Olds"

I have been working at Fractal Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Entrepreneurial spirit is present, even with 700+ in India
    Recruiting and development of new technical staff (in India) is amazing
    Fractal Sciences is the real deal
    Business climate for analytic services is beyond hot

Cons

India has scaled; US / UK has not
    US Sr manager(s) working too hard; could be more strategic
    Benefits are sub-par: 401(k) not matched, vision and dental are weak or of no benefit

Advice to Management

US / UK: Need to empower experienced people managers in order to reach scale. Repeated a different way... Credit the hard working ethos, but we will not scale on the backs of 1, 2 or 3 most senior, stunning as they may be. Must delegate and trust. And then sometimes you (we!) need to make that hard decision and redirect the team members who have not performed. There seems to be a remarkable inability to come to grips with the obvious and this is killing moral and team development on key accounts.
    General: If we are selling to the F100, then please examine the HR pkg of those companies and emulate. The US / UK benis are not up to snuff. Get a US / UK HR consult for review, and listen. We need to be able to pull candidates from the same pool we sell into. Recruiting is hard enough, there is a reason for the dearth of diversity in the candidate pool.
    SV-PA: Sorry for the media, too far downstream

Fractal Analytics Response

Nov 19, 2014 – CEO

"SV-PA: Sorry for the media, too far downstream" - I am happy to chat with you anytime to understand and possibly solve any issues you may have. Please feel free to reach out. SV

"Confusing place to work"

Pros

CEO is willing to do everything he can to make this company a grest place to work

Cons

They have hired delivery leads with limited understanding of consumer analytics and no people management skills. Such people never really had any point of view and were interested more in gossips/cricket than helping team and clients generate high quality output.

Promotion process is flawed to its core. People were promoted to associate directors in an extremely short period of time, only adding to the widespread suspicion that promotions are based on how hard you laugh at your manager's joke rather than objective performance achievements.

Srikanth wants to do the right thing but I don't believe he has the right set of middle /senior management backing him up

Advice to Management

You need to make sure you have right set of people leading your employees. Wrong managers either new hires or promoted prematurely would create confusion, frustation and eventually make you best folks leave.

"Imbalanced employee mix"

I worked at Fractal Analytics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Looks like there are opportunities and growth is rapid but you must know how to grow

Cons

A company that only appreciates the employee whom he needs, promotions are given randomly but no one is concerned about any of the employees

Advice to Management

The HR and team mix needs to be balanced. Too many senior employees in the team can't grow the team, they can only fight among themselves for the best approach

"Okay, good for learning"

I have been working at Fractal Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good for learning
    - Good work life balance
    - Good flexibility
    - Good client exposure

Cons

- No appreciation for efforts at all
    - No bonus
    - not very common to receive the variable pay promised as part of CTC
    - Management only focuses on products whereas services is the real cash cow
    - Team politics and partial behaviour
    - Promotion only after discussing with all the managers in the account ( how would they know if they do not belong to the same team)

Advice to Management

- AI and ML being the definite future, focus on developing business skills in the employees as well. More importantly, appreciate the ones you already have.
    - Appreciate the employees working for services as well.

"once you work at fractal nobody else will hire you"

Former Employee - Analyst in Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Mumbai (India)

I worked at Fractal Analytics full-time

Pros

trust me its true they get promoted only inside fractal

Cons

no industry value at alllll at allll

"Nothing great to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Mumbai (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Mumbai (India)

Pros

Good facilities, in regards of food and transport. In general new employees are happy with such facilities. Wonderful celebrations, picnic, offsite, make the employees to enjoy the work.

Cons

Work culture has changed. The whole atmosphere has changed .My manager says even if you are in the hospital or on saline you need to check your mails and have to be active. What kind of Managers works here ?

Even its been commented that if I have worked from outstation being on leave I haven't done something 'Great' .Very sad to work with such Manager!

Lots of favoritism takes place. Employees are given high skilled profile even though when they don't have much experience. And employees who are serving good amount of tenure in the company are ignored.

Advice to Management

Kindly have some logic and justification while giving responsible job profile to a employee who is less experienced and have some humanity while asking people to leave.

"Fear, Pressure,Frustration,Dissatisfaction, lame work is the new Fractal"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Fractal Analytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Food, great immediate seniors (grade 8).Flexible timings. On time salary :)

Cons

-No quality work. Rather no work. Feels like a company on its death bed.
    -Number of people on CAP (i.e with no work) is huge and is increasing (minus the firings)
    -Very very less modeling and only reporting everywhere. Nowadays even that is rare.
    -Incapable senior management, though hard workers they are lacking in clear vision, making right decisions etc.
    When I first joined, I had heard so many great things about Fractal from my seniors. I felt like even if the payment is not upto mark, I would stay with the company for the rest of my career do my part in its growth, become its leader etc. etc. Now my god I can't even sleep properly in the night. Everywhere my friends are being fired. Some without prior intimation. They get a mail at the end of the day and tomorrow they are gone.
    At first I thought fine, if some are not upto mark its detrimental to both company and for them to continue. But then they have started firing employees on cap(benched due to lack of work) left and right. The reasons they gave were so lame
    Fired for not being creative enough when the employee was a fresher who was in CAP just doing some shadow work. They were not even given a chance to prove their mettle.
    Fired for clearing some stupid FAA test in the second attempt. When we joined we were clearly said we would be given two chances to clear any test. Their apparent reason was they don’t expect people to fail in the first attempt. You shameless hypocrites. Fired for taking leave. Yes fractal says we can take as much leave as we want. But ofcourse we need to be accountable. Employee who was fired was again in CAP and had took leave for medical reasons.
    I heard some were fired for not clearing optional course that they enrolled for. It was not a mandatory course. He/she took it out of interest but couldn’t apparently finish it as he/she was occupied. Lol that person is now gone. Some people who had an awesome nps score were fired. NPS is net promoter score given by clients. An employee came out of project as it ended and was in CAP(no work). He had great NPS scores in the projects he worked. But boom-fired for not being in any project. Is it his bloody fault if company doesn’t have projects?. Fine if you are loosing in the industry come forward and accept it. Say ‘we are not getting projects. So we can’t afford to pay you. Hence we are firing’. No you cover it up with pathetic reasons. One of my friend who was a workaholic was fired. That person was not even given a chance to work. They were new recruits. And they are gone. And mind you that one was smart and was nowhere close to being someone who would be fired for not being competent.
    That was about firing, now coming to quality of work when someone even gets it. We are made to do redundant, lame and not so useful work time and again. Once twice fine. Its going on and on and on. So don’t expect to learn much here. The old fractal is gone.The company has come to such a hapless point that they are threatening people for using cab services. Some who were using cab received a mail to use it only when absolutely necessary. Some who were in cap were told not to use it. A friend of mine has to travel long around 20 kms. It is too tough to travel by public bus with traffic and all. That person is now scared to book the cab lol. Every day I go to office we hear frustration, some tensed, some scared, some clueless. During lunch we keep hearing about people struggling to get any project, the ones who are already in shadow work talk about alternate job opportunities as they keep getting unsatisfactory mails from their managers(citing lame reasons like not being responsible enough, not attending their calls, etc.etc.). The ones who are getting out of projects after it is completed are now desperately searching for new jobs. The once passion filled, dreams high team of our group is now filled with fear and helplessness. Seniors are fed up too. Everyone is looking at new job opportunities. Even skilled and workaholics are fearing their job safety and are looking for a chance to jump. Freshers stay away from this company. I don’t think they are hiring anyway. If they did hire freshers again then you(freshers and I) are doomed again.

Advice to Management

Be honest. Come out and admit your reality. Don't give lame reasons for firing.
    Make the feedback process completely transparent. Feedback from managers should reach the employees.
    Try to hire more skilled senior persons. I personally feel the recruitment is not great. Senior managers lack thorough understanding of the domain. You may need people not just with experience but complete command over the domain. I haven't found many of such quality here.
    Senior employees are shocked at the recent developments. I hope you all could pay serious attention to this. Dont spoil your image. Just get the necessary firings done at once and get back on track. Dont create a tensed atmosphere and most importantly be honest.

Due to lack of proper understanding of the domain by seniors most things get tried out only to find that to be not possible and hence re do the whole thing. So you may want to have a re look at your top guys. It is their decisions that get the work going in some direction. When they are themselves experimenting, its a big mess for everyone.
    Please dont be cheap in things like cab. I dont hope this reaches the food section. The time it does, we can all conclude that Fractal is counting its last days.

Fractal Analytics Response

Feb 20, 2017 – Executive Vice-Chairman

The review is based on incorrect information. I humbly submit to you that either you are misled or you are trying to mislead. Thanks.

"Wannabe Mu Sigma"

Current Employee - Consultant in Mumbai (India)

Pros

- Good company to start your career with
    - Good Learning opportunities (limited to certain teams)
    - Employee Friendly culture (Not anymore!)

Cons

- Manager is always right
    - Middle management (as per the old hierarchy: Senior consultant, Associate director) is really mediocre, and this is an understatement
    - Change policies without much vision, then roll them back
    - Struggling to get new projects, had to fire a lot of people 'cause of that (in the name of bad performance of course)
    - Nepotism

Advice to Management

It was a really nice company 2 years back. Reflect a little and see what backfired (hint: middle management hiring)