Fragomen Worldwide Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Fragomen Worldwide Chairman of the Firm/Partner Austin T. Fragomen
Austin T. Fragomen

Pros
  • Work hard but there is definitely a work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Great work environment at the SF office (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • There's always a lot of work to be done so not very good work-life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Long hours, frequent miscommunication with management (in 15 reviews)

1. "A/R"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Matawan, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Matawan, NJ

I worked at Fragomen Worldwide full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. The people who work there are helpful, friendly and respectful to each other.

Cons

Management uses you until they are done. They do not appreciate employees who go above and beyond.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites with a few and appreciate those that give up their weekends to get the job done.

2. "Assistant Paralegal"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Fragomen Worldwide as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Top Immigration Firm in the world. They will provide their paralegal's with opportunities - if you are fortunate enough.

Cons

They work you to the bone and don't pay what they should for the work you do.

"Overworked and underpaid."

Former Employee - Human Resources Immigration Coordinator in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Immigration Coordinator in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Fragomen Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They hire fresh grads who are looking for some experience. However, this is mainly due to the high turnover rate.

Cons

They don't invest in their employees at all. They overwork them and have no interest in making any changes, except for maybe a cosmetic one here and there.

Advice to Management

Invest in your workers and give them a reasonable workload.

"Interesting Firm...Their OK but actual experienced legal professionals can do better"

Pros

The Santa Clara office is a great place to gain knowledge and experience for legal professionals that desire to work within the corporate/business immigration realm of law. The Santa Clara Office offers great PTO.

Many of the current legal professionals are fun, friendly, and helpful, including some attorneys.

The Cisco Team is a great team to be apart of as they've got solid leadership within their staff, including the Partner that manages it all.

Cons

The pay is incredibly low for experienced legal professionals. Training programs either do not exist or needs lots of work to develop legal professionals. Some teams within the firm need solid leadership that actually care for their staff; leadership needs to understand emotional intelligence.

The Santa Clara Office still uses Lotus, however, a change to the software is still in the works. Leadership, per Team, tends to pile lots of work on their staff and expect them to get everything done in under 40 hours a week.

Senior Attorneys and Supervising staff seemingly have tunnel vision as they care only for their bottom line. Some of the current leadership within the firm needs a tune-up if this firm wants to retain solid legal professional.

This firm does not keep the legal work in-house. Others in another country draft petitions/applications, however, legal professional that did not draft work is held responsible for the end product.

Advice to Management

Get everyone involved in training and pass along any changes to processes so that the entire Team is aware of the change. Try hard not to cancel scheduled meetings. Develop solid training programs.

Do well to keep staff engaged and challenged. Get to know your Team. Listen to members of your team. Leadership within teams need to understand emotional intelligence; place experienced leaders in leadership roles.

Have patience with your team. Educate and guide your teams as ruling with an iron fist is not productive and only pushes talent away. Leaders should collaborate with their team and bolster development of their team.

The drafting and advisement of petitions NEED to be in-house in order to ensure accountability and an accurate high-level of work product!

"The Worst!"

Former Employee - Immigration Paralegal in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Immigration Paralegal in Irvine, CA

I worked at Fragomen Worldwide full-time

Pros

Once a month you get free bagels.

Cons

Shoddy work done by overworked stressed-out paralegals. The attorneys spend five seconds reviewing paralegal's work product, sign it and send it out the door. If any mistakes are made blame it on the paralegals. Working there is like living a nightmare.

Advice to Management

Before working here I thought Fragomen was a reputable law firm. I would never work for them again. All the poor reviews I've seen from foreign nationals online are true.

7. "Sr. Software Engineer"

Pros

Close to the exit on Garden State Parkway

Cons

The work space is very small.. smaller than a traders desk in NYC.

"Avoid at all costs"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Washington, DC

Pros

Opportunity to overtime, workday doesn't drag on

Cons

Horrible management, sadistic attorneys, no opportunity for growth

Advice to Management

Stop the constant revolving door of Fragomen. Hold on to your employees and give them opportunities to grow. It will increase your firm's competence and make for happier employees.

"This place seriously needs to get its act together."

I worked at Fragomen Worldwide full-time

Pros

I worked as an entry-level temp in the New York office for a month. The employees, individually, are solid people; there are some neat perks (mostly related to food); and you learn a thing or two about business immigration.

Cons

From what I experienced, there is virtually no communication, no coordination, and no organization between the various levels and departments of this firm. The job started with an orientation, at which it was made very clear to us new, entry-level employees that there was a learning curve, and it was expected that we would make mistakes and take time to adapt. Of course I made mistakes, but I corrected them all and elevated them when I needed to, and I was improving to the point where my supervisors were about to entrust me with drafting support letters for some of the firm's biggest clients--and this was just as the firm's busy season was beginning. I even caught some mistakes made by higher-ups--really obvious typos, for instance. (Bear in mind, the government looks for any excuse to reject a visa application.) Then, out of nowhere, I was let go for "making mistakes on [my] cases" that were allegedly taking up extra time to correct. (Not to mention, no one at the firm had the guts to break the news to me in person; I went in one morning and my keycard wasn't working, so I got a pass for the day, and when I went up, the HR person came to my cubicle and said, "I was told yesterday was your last day.") Was I so incompetent that I had no value as an employee even with a learning curve in the middle of the busy season? I doubt it. My guess is that, in addition to other new employees coming in, the busy season turned out to be not as busy as they thought it would be, so they sacked me and used my earlier, novice mistakes against me as an excuse. This firm embarrassed and disrespected me. All I was to it was a body.

Some other interesting tidbits:
    * I was taking direction from a peer of mine, a paralegal AND an associate, and there were no other new employees on this particular team.
    * There was training, but it was curt, rushed and inadequate. For instance, I would be told to do things a certain way every time, and the exceptions weren't made clear to me. There's also a lot of wonky calendar math involved in immigration law, and I was not given an adequate point of reference in that regard. Still, I imagine that I was the one who was blamed and looked down upon for the resulting errors, in the end.
    * My supervisors insisted multiple times that my next big task would be to draft said support letters, but that they weren't ready to be drafted yet. As a result, there were long stretches of time where I was left with nothing to do. Ultimately, I felt led on.
    * To kill time, one of my supervisors instructed me to take seminars that turned out to be the SAME seminars I took during orientation.
    * Work-life balance? Please.

If this firm asked to have me back, I'd turn it down.

"Admin."

Pros

The flexibility for overtime and the money was good...not great, but good.

Cons

Was completely overworked and was constantly demanded to produce. It was almost considered a crime if you were caught by your boss having a simple conversation with an associate. The expectation was to clear out everything before day's end no matter what. There is no flex time nor the characteristics of being in the 21st century for work/life balance. I wouldn't recommend this to any seasoned worker....it might be good for those just starting out, but believe me there is better out there.

"Sweatshop- Strong company with terrible management."

Former Employee - Assistant Paralegal in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Paralegal in New York, NY

I worked at Fragomen Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits. Some teams have good management. There is an active social life in the NY office.

Cons

Incompetent management. Fragomen has an attorneys vs paralegals mentality. Bad attorneys will be favored over good attorneys or paralegals. Paralegals are viewed as stupid and lowly workers although many paralegals have more immigration experience than the attorneys they work for. Teams are poorly managed by partners who, at times, barely know the names of the paralegals that work for them. Senior attorneys often shift their work to junior associates so they can leave at 5:30 PM. Attorneys will often shift blame to paralegals to cover their own backs. Both junior attorneys and paralegals are overworked without any recognition of the work they do. This is a churn and burn company. This is not a company where you can have a good work life balance.

Advice to Management

Promote competent attorneys and paralegals instead of the most popular colleagues. Lead by example and by showing that you actually care for the people that work at the company.