Fragomen Worldwide Reviews | Glassdoor

"No talent appreciation"

Current Employee - Assistant Paralegal in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Assistant Paralegal in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fragomen Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful and diverse staff, people are competent, hard working, and very friendly.

Cons

Low pay for the field. Lack of support from management. Poor talent retention.

Advice to Management

Remove toxic supervisors

"Admin"

Current Employee - Administrative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Fragomen Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work day goes by fast due to the volume of work everyone has. I enjoy the freedom the company provides and how understanding the supervisors are. The work environment is wonderful.

Cons

The work load can become very overwhelming at times.

"Great people, good firm, okay culture, poor tech/processes."

Current Employee - Assistant Paralegal in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Paralegal in New York, NY

I have been working at Fragomen Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm going to caveat these positives by saying that they can and do vary WILDLY on a team-by-team basis.
    + Nice, supportive, interesting co-workers.
    + Lots of opportunities to learn about immigration, especially in the entry level roles, to see if it is something that interests you.
    + Mostly reasonable hours, decent flexibility with WFH once you reach a certain level - even as a paralegal, good PTO/sick time allotment
    + Benefits are mostly good - 401k matching and pre-tax transit benefits are great, health insurance is adequate. Other benefits that you would expect for a global firm of Fragomen's stature are lacking - for example, there's no readily available gym/fitness benefit.
    + Good location.
    + Internal mobility.
    + Strong focus on diversity in the firm, which is really valuable.
    + Good career opportunities.

Cons

- The biggest negative overall I would say is that things do vary wildly from team to team. Management styles, processes, people, everything depends on the team that you're on. There's a big focus on making sure that we're top of the field in immigration knowledge, which is good, however there doesn't appear to be focus on creating a consistent, transparent, accountable, and supportive firm culture, which is what holds the firm back from being a great employer.
    - Going off of that, senior management here values what the partners managing teams here think more than associates/junior staff. Seniority is certainly valuable, but when issues arise the concerns of associates and junior staff typically aren't taken as seriously as the perspective of the partner. If you're on a team where the partner is a bad manager or deflects blame rather than take accountability for the culture/processes/actions of their team, then the sh!t rolls downhill.
    - Partners and supervising attorneys do not appear to have any significant management training, nor does it appear to be recognized that management training (beyond HR basics - how to motivate/develop/coach people) would be really valuable. Maybe it exists in ways that I'm not seeing, but from my vantage point this is lacking.
    - The technology situation is ancient and abysmal. Truly. At a certain point typewriters would be more functional.

Advice to Management

- Take immediate, dramatic action to improve technology. There's no reason for the firm to be using Windows XP. Better technology would make us all more productive.
    - Focus on building a positive firm-wide culture from the ground up.

Apr 24, 2017

We really appreciate the detailed feedback, on both the pro's and con's. Due to receiving similar feedback, and the results of our two recent Employee Engagement Surveys, we have identified the need ... More

"Good Post-Undergrad Place to Gain Legal Experience"

Current Employee - Assistant Paralegal I in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Paralegal I in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Fragomen Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, trusted with a great deal of responsibility, do most work independently, opportunities to work overtime for extra money but not mandatory, good work-life balance, good PTO and health benefits

Cons

High caseload, high turnover rate among lower-level paralegals, somewhat repetitive work, immigration law is more administrative, compensation lower than other firms

Advice to Management

Provide higher compensation and better benefits to retain employees or attract former paralegals to return to the firm after law school

"Do not recommend"

Former Employee - Paralegal in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Paralegal in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fragomen Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People here were generally great initially, management included. PTO is nice.

Cons

When things get busier than normal, selfishness/poor management/lack of care start to shine through. They will work you without regard to your wellbeing. HR is constantly trying to nickel and dime you. Morale is generally not good. Opportunities for advancement are unclear. Good work is only rewarded with more work/ higher expectations and nothing else. Management plays favorites quite heavily.

Advice to Management

Good work cannot be rewarded with just more of the same work. Employee well-being should not be trivialized.

"Lots of work, little care for"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Fragomen Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office space and proximity to transit.

Cons

Where to start... management cares little about its employees. Moral is something you feel is a constant low, and you don't have time to connect with your coworkers as they are just at preoccupied appeasing management. It's a never ending rat race. Praise comes seldom and when it's right it's just ok.

Advice to Management

Live a little. Create an environment where coworkers can collaborate and learn. It's not always about money, happy workers are valuable.

"Fast-paced but great place to work"

Current Employee - Assistant Paralegal I in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Paralegal I in New York, NY

I have been working at Fragomen Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, good pay, lots of opportunities to learn

Cons

Not very flexible with work/ life balance

"Chaos Reigns - Constant Crisis Mode - High Stress"

Former Employee - Supervisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at Fragomen Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. The health plan for lower-paid employees is subsidized. The workforce is diverse and includes shrinking numbers of men.

Cons

They treat employees like shake-and-bake bags. Management talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. A culture driven by greed. Pennywise and pound-foolish. Works hard to underpay ordinary employees, while showering partners and C-level with millions. Employee appreciation? Not so much. Benefits are paltry. Vacations are hard to schedule and since there is no coverage, there is a pile of work waiting when you get back. Lots of unpaid overtime. High level of employee turnover. High stress. Constant crisis mode; everything is urgent. Online training is offered, but who has the time for it? IT is a black hole swallowing much of the firm's money.

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees like cattle. Stop nickel-and-diming employees. Profit-sharing would go a long way.

Apr 24, 2017

We're incredibly sorry you had this experience, and that you feel that the Firm has this attitude towards it's employees. For those of us on the HR side it is hard to hear. We acknowledge that ... More

"Good team environment but better training needed"

Former Employee - Assistant Paralegal II in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Paralegal II in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

The people are great to work with. Good team environment, including social activities. There is ample access to resources, templates, and samples. Compensation is pretty good.

Cons

The computer system is inefficient and often has issues. Training could be improved. Teams often need more people, especially during peak periods.

Advice to Management

Increased training and a mentoring system would greatly help. More transparency with paralegals about team changes and issues. Better opportunities for advancement and rewards for good work would help with employee retention.

May 1, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We've invested heavily in technology over the past few years, and continue to do so under our new CIO. We're currently in the middle of developing and implementing our ... More

"Worst decision of my life."

Former Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Fragomen Worldwide full-time

Pros

- nice views
    - stocked kitchen

Cons

- Extremely high turn over rate, the first week I was there over 12 people I knew had quit (they had each been there less than 3 months) and within 3 weeks I had quit. When everyone quit, we literally had an "I Quit Frago" party -- just throwing that out there as an idea of what kind of misery awaits you when you take this job.

- It's an obscene amount of hours, extremely low pay, ridiculous expectations, and you have no idea if you're going to be kept on as permanent/long-term or not.

- They fired a few people when I was there and it was the most humiliating process every single time. They come up to your cubicle in front of everyone, demand that you pack your stuff and give you 2 seconds before they walk you out. There is absolutely no dignity or sense of privacy in the process.

- Attorneys somehow keep getting involved in admin drama. There is very little boundaries between them and they are all the dumbest attorneys out there. Half of them couldn't find jobs and resorted to Frago. It's a disaster.

- Most people who start working at Frago do it because they plan on applying to/going to law school soon after. Because of the work environment and the hours and the stress, most people don't end up having enough time to study for their LSATs and either wing it and end up in a diploma-mill school, or just work at frago for 6 years and don't experience any movement in their lives at all. It's sad to see hopes and dreams crushed by a work schedule -- especially one that is compensated so poorly. All hope is not lost, however, because if youre lucky enough and work there for several years enough, you might be promoted to a higher level of 'administrative assistant.'

- Frago usually has a habit of promoting you and your position without actually paying you more for it. You're supposed to get an extra $10,000/year salary for every level you move up in.

Advice to Management

Set up a training program, be up front with your employees, and absolutely stop having a high turn over rate. Your reputation for being manipulative and exploitative as an employer has started to creep up on you amongst everyone in Chicago. You might want to be watchful of that and tread carefully going forward.

May 1, 2017

I'm sorry you found your experience at Fragomen so challenging. After consulting with local HR and leadership in our Chicago office, I wanted to address a few of your concerns and clarify a few ... More