Fragomen "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Fragomen Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Mar 10, 2020

3.2
Fragomen Chairman of the Firm/Partner Austin T. Fragomen
Austin T. Fragomen
Pros
  • "Pay, work environment, good management, coffee machine(in 55 reviews)

• "Managers recognize potential and when to listen to Paralegals who understand the newer technologies(in 40 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Assistant Paralegal

I have been working at Fragomen full-time

Pros

Coworkers are amazing. Feel there is constant support from the team. Supervisors take time to get to know you. The benefits are good too.

Cons

There tends to be a less than work -life balance. They are working to address this concern. Other than that nothing else.

Fragomen2019-09-29
  2. "Overall good experience"

Former Employee - Senior Paralegal in Boston, MA

I worked at Fragomen full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Great benefits, work from home opportunity, and vacation time - Young workforce - A lot of learning experience and growth opportunity

Cons

- Difficult work-life balance - Stressful at times

Fragomen2020-02-10

"A great opportunity if you can handle it"

Former Employee - Assistant Paralegal in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Fragomen full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great learning opportunity, pay, they hire a lot of new grads, half point for good management and working environment

Cons

Work/life balance is off the table, training isn't very comprehensive, hostility from some higher ups at times; all depends what team you're on

Fragomen2020-02-03

"Pick your team carefully..."

Former Employee - Assistant Paralegal in Chicago, IL

I worked at Fragomen full-time for less than a year

Pros

Chicago Office Great Location Free Gym Free Sodas

Cons

You can definitely have a fulfilling career at Fragomen--if you strike gold. You are placed on a specific team when you are hired and so much can go wrong. For the record, I have friends that absolutely adore their teams, get along well with everyone and have a good work-life balance. This was unfortunately not the case for me. I was placed on a team that had already been hemorrhaging employees for awhile (with one employee quitting the first week I was there and another quitting about a month later on a team of about 20,) and I soon found out why. Work expectations are generally vague and yet I was constantly criticized for not living up to these unclear requirements. I was told I would never have to stay past six in my interview, then told I would never be forced to do overtime, and then criticized and eventually fired for attempting to follow this policy by not volunteering to stay late one night! Within my first week I was also told I would need to reschedule an international trip I had planned for six months from my hiring date because the firm might be busy. Paralegals constantly sought to both defy company processes regarding legal review and to place the bulk of their work upon assistant paralegals beginning at 4:45 PM. While Fragomen is considered a top-tier immigration law firm, I must concur with the majority of reviews. The firm hires recent graduated and expects them to behave as professionals with decades in the work force. Overtime and personal sacrifice are required, yet no one I knew had received a promotion or pay raise within their time at the firm (typically 8 months-2 years.) My team somehow both lacked and was overwhelmed by oversight as I received no formal training for my entry-level position aside from a steady stream of criticism. If you do end up working here, keep your head down and an eye on the door, and dear god avoid the firm in the months of February and March lest CAP season overwhelm you.

Fragomen2019-12-09
  5. "7+ year experienced employee"

Current Employee - Senior Paralegal in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Fragomen full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The experience you gain here in irreplaceable - there is so much knowledge and so many resources to utilize and learn from to really build a career in Business Immigration law. There is a process for everything and a wealth of knowledge to be learned, from practice and all the experienced staff.

Cons

Management, particularly the partners and those who make the decisions for the firm/each office, will choose the bottom line and profit over the well being of their employees. The high volume work load with the quick expected turnaround time, unrealistic client expectations, and shortness of adequate staff has created high stress work environments that have burned out a lot of paralegals who are expected to just "push through" and contribute to an "all hands on deck" attitude when already at max capacity. There is no work life balance and the culture is not sustainable long term.

Fragomen2019-12-10
  6. "Long Hours, poor work life balance"

Former Employee - Human Resources Immigration Coordinator in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Fragomen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Many entry level positions and new grads,. Supportive managers.. Unlimited over-time

Cons

Long hours and very low work life balance. Impossibly large case loads.

Fragomen2019-11-19

"Good Learning Experience, but Stale"

Current Employee - Assistant Paralegal in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Fragomen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some truly great people who work here that are knowledgeable and willing to help new people along. There is a tangible sense of actually helping real people. You will absolutely learn a lot, even if you know nothing about immigration going into this job, because you can't function if you don't. The benefits are generally comparable, as far as my knowledge, and there appear to be raises each year of a few percentage points.

Cons

The most egregious problem is the management structure of this firm. There's a total disconnect between management and the paralegal levels of the firm, and there's a real sense that if you don't "fall in line" with management, you're not going to go very far up the ladder. Paralegals are often micro-managed to the point of paralysis, and even seasoned veterans who have been here as paralegals for 5+ years can be treated condescendingly or dismissively. Even worse than the micromanagement and condescension is the seemingly total lack of actual direction given. While this may, at first glance, appear to be a paradox, the real situation is that partners and attorneys fritter away their time on simple stylistic issues, rather than giving paralegals a general direction on how to move forward on a case. It is aggravating and stressful to both be rudderless while the attorneys explain to us why we're re-arranging the deck chairs to specific inches. Another serious issue is that attorneys and HR make little effort to try to develop any talent. Attorneys and partners are content to throw bodies at a problem rather than preparing paralegals in advance for issues that may appear. While hiring new people is better than doing nothing, it falls on the paralegals, who are already overworked, to train the new hires. The result is an even worse time crunch than usual, and forcing paralegals to train as they go, rather than the firm providing any kind of actually helpful guidance. New hires will sit at computers watching devastatingly boring videos on the importance of privacy for nearly a full two days, and come away knowing just as little about immigration and our day-to-day work as they did when they first entered the office. Depending on what clients you end up working on, the work can be tedious, repetitive, and boring. I personally have asked to be put on more interesting assignments where I can better use my skills for the past year, but have not seen that materialize. Instead, my docket continues to be loaded even more heavily with the same case types. Staff turnover is a complete epidemic, especially in the past six months or so. Temps rarely gain any traction to be converted, and can be strung along for excessive amounts of time without being converted to full time employees. Worse than the temps has been the amount of upper level staff turnover-over half a dozen attorneys, two partners, and countless long-time client services managers have left the firm in just the past few months. This uncertainty has had a trickle down effect on the paralegals, who don't have a reference point for what is normal any longer. Team structures change on a seemingly week-to-week basis, and morale has deteriorated to the point of openly longing to leave the firm. Finally, work/life balance is inconsistent at best and completely out of balance at worst. Work can become extremely busy with little to no warning, and the hours can go from a regular 37-40 hour week to well over 60 hours. Management has little respect for the paralegals' personal lives and expect them to be in on a weekend or late every day at the drop of a hat. Once a paralegal shows an ability to work outside of normal hours or an ability to churn out exceptional levels of work, that paralegal is then expected to make that their normal output. Burnout and a lack of focus on the paralegals' level runs rampant because of this.

Fragomen2019-10-18

"You learn a lot but will sacrifice your personal time"

Former Employee - Assistant Paralegal II in New York, NY

I worked at Fragomen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good job to learn from. I did every type of visa and learned each kind extensively.

Cons

No work life balance. Management can be unorganized.

Fragomen2019-09-25
  9. "High turnover rate and assembly line type of work"

Former Contractor - Team Support Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fragomen for less than a year

Pros

Overtime is the only 'incentive'.

Cons

Absolutely no work-life balance due to the long hours they will have you work, including weekends during their busy CAP season. Insufficient training leads to miscommunication within the team. When employees are unmotivated to do work and constantly complaining about their duties, it brings down the company morale. It's also not a good sign when people are constantly leaving the company. The pay is not good enough if you are living in San Francisco and also for the amount of work you have to put in.

Fragomen2019-08-22

Fragomen Response

January 9, 2020

Thank you for your feedback, and we're sorry to hear your experience with Fragomen was not more fruitful. As the leading immigration firm globally, our case volumes have created issues in certain offices and we've been trying to make strides to ensure our employees, especially at the Paralegal level, can enjoy a work life balance. We've put in place remote and flexible working arrangements, are constantly focused on how we can automate some of the more repetitive tasks to free up case worker time. And we're about to embark on some fundamental working planning projects that will revolutionize how we're structured and resourced in our busiest offices. We're sorry some of these changes didn't take effect to improve your experience here, but again we thank you for your feedback. Gary Whyld, Director of Worldwide Talent Acquisition and Mobility

Continue reading

"I worked for Fragomen for one and a half years"

Former Employee - Immigration Coordinator

I worked at Fragomen full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers who help each other, since there are no training and we must learn as we work on the cases. I learned a lot on the job.

Cons

No work-life balance, no training but high performance expectations from case workers. Management treats workers differently based on their preferences, and this reflects heavily on salary, as people doing the same work at the same level can earn double the salary. No overtime, high turnover.

Fragomen2019-09-07