Franklin Covey Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Franklin Covey Chairman, President, and CEO Bob Whitman
Bob Whitman

Pros
  • Excellent company to work with and for, good work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Great access to the content and great flexibility with being able to work from home (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Rely too heavily on the FranklinCovey name - many potential customers have never heard of FC or it doesn't matter to them (in 5 reviews)

"Needs a complete rehaul of management and leadership"

I worked at Franklin Covey full-time

Pros

The publications are the best resources

Cons

Leadership and management are stuck (comfortably) and aren't looking to progress the company.

Advice to Management

Think outside your 'club' of lifers and if you indicate you want diversity of thought in new hires as you preach and sell to clients, then practice diversity of thought starting with your leaders and down to support staff.

"Wish the culture reflected what they sell..."

Former Employee - Inside Business Partner (Or IBP) in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Business Partner (Or IBP) in Irvine, CA

I worked at Franklin Covey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic client partners (for the most part). Will work strategically with you depending on who you get. Benefits are under market, but decent.

Cons

I talked with clients every day about the advantages of our solutions, but i did not see them practiced in my interactions with my region. My relationships with my client partners were trusting, good relationship. My first manager (manager A) had exactly one 1 on 1 conversation with me in 2.5 years of working there, and she did NOT have a ton of subordinates to manage.

The one conversation was to tell me that my work had be insufficient, and I would be let go in two weeks unless I signed a behavioral contract where they would monitor my behavior for the foreseeable future, in a role where my career would be completely stunted.

To say the least, I felt pretty betrayed. The problems that she mentioned could have been solved by mentoring and honesty about how I was doing, instead of telling me that my performance hadn't been up to expectations for the past while. Prevention vs. cure, as they say.

I agreed to the monitoring of my behavior while i started looking quietly for other opportunities. My new manager (manager B) was worlds better, and he saw immediately that I was a hard worker, an over-achiever, and a deliverer of results. I would still have to check in with him every week to make sure I was working well that week, otherwise, I'd be gone.

Things were looking really good with him as my advocate until he got too busy to manage me. He told me I'd be reporting to another manager. This manager was not as trustworthy as the previous one. I talked to someone she had fired, and there was no grounds for this person to be fired. I saw the writing on the wall, and took a job elsewhere.

Advice to Management

The previous Regional Manager is now gone, so I'm hoping things change. Advice to new management: Use your own content, don't just talk to clients about it.

"Business Partner"

Former Employee - Inside Business Partner in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Inside Business Partner in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Franklin Covey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

FC offers most employees a great deal of autonomy, flexible schedule, and the ability to achieve a nice work-life balance. They have a great holiday schedule and expectations are clear and defined. Excellent packaging of products and programs.

Cons

Promote men more than women - bias toward people of the Mormon faith - if you are not Mormon very difficult to get to senior level. They tend to value transactional business, quantity vs. quality, sales-focused organization with little opportunity outside of sales. Low salaries.

Advice to Management

Re evaluate your on-boarding process and making sure employees have tools and information they need to be successful. Constant change is difficult for both employees and clients.

"Torture!"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in West Valley, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in West Valley, UT

I have been working at Franklin Covey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are fantastic. The accounting for this type of business has some complexities so you have the opportunity to learn a lot

Cons

The executive is so over paid it's ridiculous. I left there and now work at an even bigger company and the executives there aren't paid half the amount. Employees below them are treated like crap - no raises, no rewards.

Advice to Management

Lower your executive compensation. They are all overpaid & focus on taking care of all your employees.

"Ironic.. For a planning or motivational company there is none of"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Very laid back. If you don't get something done, no one cares.. and there are no reprecussions. That is just the environment from the top down.

Cons

No growth. They get some decent young talent in, but it never lasts. It is a tight knit upper management who has been there since the early planner days and is just hanging onto the ride until it ends. Horrible foresight. An Analog company in a Digital age.

Advice to Management

You have some great oppurtunities and messages. It is just to bad that the company selling this stuff is a polar opposite of everything it preaches.

7. "Consultant"

Pros

The original Franklin Covey concept and the belonging materials are great.

Cons

This is a Hungarian limited liability company owned by a Hungarian enterpreneur, obviously in a franchise structure. The company employs few permanent employees, but the majority of the consultants are contracted. The company gives to the contracted consultants no base fee, no salary, no benefits, no mobile phone, notebook, car & milage, or anything needed to do the job. Theoretically these expenses should be covered from the consultant fee. Hungary is a small and not extremely developed country, not easy to sell the FC trainings. The few employees do the trainings to the already existing big company contacts, the freelance consultants should chase new businesses. Since this takes at least 6-12 months, or more, without any income and permanent expenses (telephone, car, basic taxation, etc.) contracted consultants can not afford to stay with the company. The attrition is huge, new contracted consultants leave in about a year and after filing a big time and fiscal loss.
    In a summary, the company is awaiting new business through its contracted consultants with no investment at all. The big multinational companies give enough work and money to those few (5-6) being there for long years.
    Some trainings in the countryside, at disounted rate go occasionally to the recently joined consultants. They have to cover also the hotel accomodation by themselves, let alone the private car and all the necessary expenses. The net income is absolutely not in balance with the human and money investment of the consultant.
    Consequently for newcomers it is very risky to join as a contracted consultant, the success rate is close to zero and it only gets clear after 6-12 months investment.
    This structure seems to be apart from basic Franklin Covey ethics.

"Dosent practise what they preach ."

Current Employee - Business Development in New Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Business Development in New Delhi (India)

I have been working at Franklin Covey full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Content and Brand Image.

Cons

Loads of ego massaging the senior management in India .Uncertain Salary and reimbusment dates.Quitting the orgnisation will be made as an unpleasent experience .

Advice to Management

Even if 5 % of what you preach is practised it 'll make a huge difference in the way the comapany performs.Try following how the parent companys work culture else you will end up loosing in the longer run and adversely impacting the reputationof the content.