Franklin Covey Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Franklin Covey Chairman, President, and CEO Bob Whitman
Bob Whitman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • If you are looking for work life balance this is the right place for you (in 8 reviews)

• Great access to the content and great flexibility with being able to work from home (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • FranklinCovey should be regularly ranked as a "Best Place to Work" considering it's mission and content (in 6 reviews)

1. "Customer Service"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Bountiful, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Bountiful, UT

I have been working at Franklin Covey part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good work environment just temp

Cons

short term only till jan

"Franklin Covey's management does not practice what they preach."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Franklin Covey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are kind. The hourly workers keep the company going. Still able to cash paychecks for now.

Cons

A lot of nepotism. Married couples and family members work there.

Advice to Management

Upper management is out of touch. The business stays afloat because of the hourly workers. Material and business processes are severely outdated. Management does not want to hear criticism of any kind.

"They don't practice what they preach"

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

FranklinCovey allows many of its employees to work from home. There is in general, a positive culture revolving around the 7 habits for highly effective people.

Cons

Upper-level management do not "practice what they preach." FranklinCovey is known for its trainings in individual productivity and efficiency, but the very company that teaches this does not implement it within its own system. I personally saw Executive level managers use fear tactics to get what they wanted. The company is losing its identity.

Advice to Management

Read 7 Habits for Highly Effective People

"Run, Don't Walk Away From This Company"

Former Employee - Administrative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Administrative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Franklin Covey full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Product they are selling is excellent. Unfortunately, they don't practice what is taught in the product they sell.

Cons

Arrogant executives that refuse to listen to employees. Very disorganized and little planning. A lot of outsourcing which adds complexity to getting your job done.

Advice to Management

Stop outsourcing. Get organized. Make a plan.

"Clique-Ridden, Disorganized, Inefficient Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Franklin Covey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Made some good friends there.

Cons

It was impossible to advance in this company.

Advice to Management

Hire people who work hard for you, not just the people you like

"Franklin Covey needs to practice more of what it preaches"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

I have great coworkers and we strive to support each other; we have a generous 3 weeks minimum PTO per yr (but can't carry it over); I'm able to work independently (not micromanaged); it's never boring--there's a lot of variety in job duties; I never worry about being able to get time off work if I need it (management doesn't question it if I get someone to back me up). Great clients and I definitely feel important/valued by the clients and sales force. Don't have to work weekends, holidays. Fairly decent pay.

Cons

The job can get quite stressful--always reacting to emergencies. There's a lot of turnover, so the workload is quite demanding because we are quite often doing 2 people's worth of work. Taking time off gets stressful trying to get ahead enough to take a vacation, and then catching up when back in the office. Duties continually increase as business grows, but our wages stay the same. Although everyone one in the company (including senior management) are great people, it seems some people get positions based on personality or office politics vs ability, and there's not a very open environment to raise concerns--if you question a decision you're viewed as being disloyal or a troublemaker instead of trying to make things better. There's a lot of overtime!!! Maybe another company I would just think that's how corporate-america is and I should just be grateful for a job, but since we're FranklinCovey, we preach being a lot better than that--I would like to see it practiced a lot more!

Advice to Management

I think that senior management doesn't realize just how much coordinators have to handle/keep track of--just how big our workload is, and how complicated it can be. I think they may look at us more as entry level customer service reps, and we're FAR beyond that. I would like them to streamline procedures and systems to make our job easier, to initiate ways where we can raise concerns or questions in a healthy open way, to pay us a little more to help compensate for the stress and turnover. Look at ways to reduce workload and enhance work/life balance (since that's what we preach).

"When looking at the retail division, look before you leap."

Former Employee - Retail Store Sales Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Retail Store Sales Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

FranklinCovey offers Sundays off to all employees. The medical and dental plan is great and employees get a decent discount on products and services from the company.

Cons

There is little or no room for advancement. The company is undergoing changes and is firing a lot of sales managers and is trying to figure out how the retail operation division is running. Sales Manager (retail store managers) are expected to put in 40+ hours per week. If a manager falls short of 40 hours they must use a minimum of 4 hours of PTO. There is little to no solid communication from the top down unless it is emergency situations. Training is lacking and clear direction is desperately needed.

Advice to Management

Make sure individual stores have a defenative goal with a deadline. The goal to grow business means one thing to senior management who is putting more products into Staples, Office Max, Office Depot and other big box retailers compared to the struggles the corporate owned stores are going through.
    Define store territiories in multi store markets and come up with solid sales training if you truely want your store manager to be outside sales manager.

8. "Change is Constant"

I have been working at Franklin Covey full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are looking for work life balance this is the right place for you.

Cons

Constant change is disruptive to productivity.

"Not for me"

Pros

benefits, autonomy, discounts, product, simple interview process

Cons

accountability, leadership, hours, purpose, processes, teamwork

10. "Not good - behind the times"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Franklin Covey full-time

Pros

Closed on Sundays, regardless what is going on (great if any major days is on a Sunday - July 4th, day after Christmas, New Year's Day). Potential to earn bonuses.

Cons

Located in a mall, so those late night holiday hours apply. A LOT of favoritism in the company; very cliquish as others have pointed out. Sales goals very skewed. A part timer sometimes had much higher goals than the manager in spite of working considerably fewer hours. High pressure to sell seats to a workshop, which gets ridiculous when most of the customers are repeat customers (particularly companies) and have already been through the workshops. Not to mention those workshops are ridiculously overpriced (going in the hundreds). They do not practice what they preach and therefore make poor business decisions. The company is way too focused on paper products, and has very little to keep up with the fact that people are using tablets/iPads/smartphones to do it all. Products can be overpriced, which doesn't help when Franklin Covey products are sold for cheaper at places like Office Depot. No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Play fair and stop the favoritism. Make the goals fair according to how many hours are being worked and if it is a slow/busy sales time (a person working a closing shift on a very slow night as his only shift that week should not have a $900 goal). Focus less on paper products and more on electronic offerings before more of your stores close, or the whole company does.